300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Police

Anyone have any information bad or good about the department?

Been trying to respond to this for weeks...But this department sucks...very political..you only get in if you are the chief's nephew, cousin, neighbor, or same with the mayor. Low starting pay.. one of the lowest in the state...I was in their process 3 years ago..took the physical and written test in Aug..passed the physical test...didnt get the written results until November...When I callled to ask about the written they were rude and acted like they didnt know what I was talking about..Got the resuts..passed the written..November was background check..there was a 100 page packet you had to fill out and turn in..they only gave us a week to get the packet done with all the documentation....turned it in....got a call from the detective a month later in Decemeber..said your background was good..next is a polygraph..wait by the mail for a letter.. should be about 2 weeks..well that turned into 2 years..I called and called I either got no answer or a rude lady not knowing what I was talking about...so 2 years passed and they literally had the nerve to post on their FB page that they were accpeting applications...Then literally two days when I saw that..I got a letter from them saying thanks but no thanks.. they never annouced who they hired. So in the end I will never apply there again and I would recommend to just skip them..

Comment

^ what he said. But seriously, if you aren’t from Gary, look elsewhere. Lots of agencies in Lake County and Porter County doing a lot of hiring that pay significantly higher. My agency has hired 8 so far this year.

Comment

Any new hires in 2019?

Comment

Seven recent hires and only one lived in the city of Gary per NWI Times.

Comment

Well I cant say that I ever worked for The City of Gary Police Department as a full time officer. However, I did start my law enforcement journey with Gary PD, as a reserve officer, about 10 years ago. I volunteered for them for about 3 years before getting picked up by another Region department. I can honestly say I loved every minute I spent in a Gary patrol car. The experience I gained at that department has shaped me into the cop I am today, and I wouldn't trade the time I spent there for anything. Whether or not a department is "good or bad" isn't really a straight foward question. The question is, what are YOU looking for in a law enforcement career.
            If your looking for a cushy cop job where you go to 5 or 6 calls a day and make 75k a year...... then Gary PD probably isn't your cup of tea. However, if you want to learn to be an urban street cop, in one of the most violent places in America, then Gary PD might be exactly what your looking for. No lack of action in the steel city. You'll see it all in Gary. Homicides, GSWs, stabbings, armed robberies, gang violence, narcotics crimes, vehicle pursuits you name it. I think they make like 50k now, maybe a little more. Lots of overtime from what I hear.
            As far as their hiring practices are concerned its a crap shoot. Does race and politics play a role? Probably. But they hire a lot of people and usually there are enough vacancies that they still have to hire people that arent connected. If your still looking for a cop job I say go for it buddy.

Comment

I took my CVSA for GPD last week. However the guy stated I showed some deception on 5 questions. However I know I've never committed any of those I had deception on so now I'm just waiting to find out if I've passed or not. Feel like I may get disqualified cause of that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4268 users online. 269 members and 3999 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X