• Show
Clear All

• Indiana State Police - 78th Recruit Class

Let's get the convo started!

Any current ISP Troops on, chime in! Good/Bad/Ugly

Any career troops?

Commitment Contract? Costs if broken?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by VidaG; 12-01-2017, 12:32 PM.

Damn, that was quick didn't they started a process for previous class like beginning of this year? Don't they hire every 2 years or so?

Comment

Generally one class a year. I would expect another class in 2019 or possibly two classes. I would also expect multiple classes or larger than normal classes sometime between 2020 and 2022. The latest number from GHQ is a class of 50 spots for the 78th. They could add to that or be smaller than that number based on the number of qualified applicants who make it to the final selection.

As of July 1, 2018 -
      Salary in the academy for a recruit is: $42,000
      Salary during Probationary Year (Probationary Trooper): $48,000
      First year Trooper rank salary: $52,000
      Ten year Trooper salary: $69,500
      Top Trooper Pay: $80,495

You can find more information on the application/selection process here:
      Last edited by 10-Roger; 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM.
      SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
        Generally one class a year. I would expect another class in 2019 or possibly two classes. I would also expect multiple classes or larger than normal classes sometime between 2020 and 2022. The latest number from GHQ is a class of 50 spots for the 78th. They could add to that or be smaller than that number based on the number of qualified applicants who make it to the final selection.

As of July 1, 2018 -
        Salary in the academy for a recruit is: $42,000
        Salary during Probationary Year (Probationary Trooper): $48,000
        First year Trooper rank salary: $52,000
        Ten year Trooper salary: $69,500
        Top Trooper Pay: $80,495

You can find more information on the application/selection process here:
        Is there a commitment contract? I know many troops there have jumped ship due to prior poor salaries to higher paying Indiana agencies or to Illinois, interested to learn how long a troop has to remain with the agency in the event a better opportunity in Indiana or across the border presents itself and now the Troop has the opportunity to lateral over or start the academy all over again.

Anything that makes the Indiana State Police stand out above local Indiana agencies as far as perks, benefits, personal/work lifestyle? Etc.

Comment

Greetings.........There are no commitment contract....some perks we have is we have statewide use of our car off duty. You do not pay for gas, maintenance or car payment. We generally do 1 class a year. I do not expect us to do 2 classes in 2019. For the 78th class we are looking to hire 60-65.

Comment

Originally posted by ISP Recruiter View Post
            Greetings.........There are no commitment contract....some perks we have is we have statewide use of our car off duty. You do not pay for gas, maintenance or car payment. We generally do 1 class a year. I do not expect us to do 2 classes in 2019. For the 78th class we are looking to hire 60-65.
            Thanks for the info, can you explain the benefits and retirement package briefly?

I’m not an Indiana resident, so for those who also aren’t, how beneficial is the 24 hr use of the car? Any incidents? I know many depts in Indiana or Illinois have similar vehicles perks but it’s to/from work, Illinois troops can go to the gym. Guess I can’t imagine driving a marked car everywhere or having the kiddos in tow. Great perk nevertheless.

Any tuition reimbursement? Bonuses for coming in the door with degree(s)?

What are the Patrol tours of duty? 8 hr shifts? 10 hr? 12? Consecutive?

Comment

Does anyone know if ISP is big on hiring laterals from local agencies in the state?

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead08 View Post
                Does anyone know if ISP is big on hiring laterals from local agencies in the state?
                There are plenty of prior law enforcement on ISP. There has been one lateral academy class but there is no plan for a shortened lateral only class. The full academy is the only option at this point. But the full academy isn't a big deal if you get the career you really want.
                SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead08 View Post
                  I have a friend who is close to the superintendent; he says they will not do a true lateral hire under this superintendent. I have heard this from many troopers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by VidaG View Post

Thanks for the info, can you explain the benefits and retirement package briefly?

I’m not an Indiana resident, so for those who also aren’t, how beneficial is the 24 hr use of the car? Any incidents? I know many depts in Indiana or Illinois have similar vehicles perks but it’s to/from work, Illinois troops can go to the gym. Guess I can’t imagine driving a marked car everywhere or having the kiddos in tow. Great perk nevertheless.

Any tuition reimbursement? Bonuses for coming in the door with degree(s)?

What are the Patrol tours of duty? 8 hr shifts? 10 hr? 12? Consecutive?

A healthy pension in which allows you to retire as early as 25 years of service, It is based on your top three years and each year after 25 years of service your retirement percentage increase all the way to 34 years. The state also has a deferred comp program in which they will match some of you contributions.

Health (medical/dental/vision) Insurance with an option to enroll in a HSA along with a Childcare expense account. $600/annual reimbursement for gym memberships. You also get three, one hour increments a week for physical training (exercise).

Your own commission (car) is provided to you and all expenses associated to it for your use any where in the state. That may seem weird for those that are from other states but I drive my car everywhere (grocery store, etc.) and often transport my children to school and what not. Some of us don't and some of us do, if you are comfortable with it than it is a great asset.

All uniforms and equipment are provided and there's a lot of training available for career development.

There's no tuition reimbursement nor bonuses for College education. Even though we only require a HS diploma/GED, I would guess the most of us have secondary education or military experience. You do get credited for College/Military through a point system when it comes to promotion.

Patrol hours vary from district to district. some work 8.5, some 9.5 or some 10.5 that I know of. For example in a two week period under the 9.5 shift you would have Sunday off, work Mon - Wed, Thur off, work Fri - Sun, Mon & Tue off, work Wed - Fri, have Sat off and repeat.

Personally, I drink the kool aid for ISP. Some may have other thoughts but I think it is a great place to work. Base salary is good and there's generally a lot of opportunity to earn more money with overtime.
                    Last edited by 19Troop78; 01-07-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 19Troop78 View Post

A healthy pension in which allows you to retire as early as 25 years of service, It is based on your top three years and each year after 25 years of service your retirement percentage increase all the way to 34 years. The state also has a deferred comp program in which they will match some of you contributions.

Health (medical/dental/vision) Insurance with an option to enroll in a HSA along with a Childcare expense account. $600/annual reimbursement for gym memberships. You also get three, one hour increments a week for physical training (exercise).

Your own commission (car) is provided to you and all expenses associated to it for your use any where in the state. That may seem weird for those that are from other states but I drive my car everywhere (grocery store, etc.) and often transport my children to school and what not. Some of us don't and some of us do, if you are comfortable with it than it is a great asset.

All uniforms and equipment are provided and there's a lot of training available for career development.

There's no tuition reimbursement nor bonuses for College education. Even though we only require a HS diploma/GED, i would guess the most of us have secondary education or military experience. You do get credited for Collage/Military through a point system when it comes to promotion.

Patrol hours vary from district to district. some work 8.5, some 9.5 or some 10.5 that i know of. For example in a 2 week period under the 9.5 shift you would have Sunday off, work Mon - Wed, Thur off, work Fri - Sun, Mon & Tue off, work Wed - Fri, have Sat off and repeat.

Personally, I drink the kool aid for ISP. Some may have other thoughts but I think it is a great place to work. Base salery is good and there's generally a lot of opportunity to earn more money with overtime.
                      Reference some of the above, I had some questions. How does ISP time-off get handled. To give an idea of what I mean I'll explain ours: We have ten personal days a year given to be taken when ever. You start off with ten vacation days as well that goes up to 15 at year five and every five years so on. For ANY overtime (exception being Grant work) we can take pay or bank it into our comp bank or as we call it "A time". This comp used to be bought out each year or so until recent years when money got tight for the city. Now, you just keep accumulating the comp time and can use it whenever you want and it rolls over each year. So basically we can take off when ever we want as long as manpower allows.

Also, don't your promotion applicants get put into a pool for the supervisor to choose from as they choose for the open spot? I've never understood ISPs way for these things and I only kind of know one trooper since we rarely see or work with them around here, so hopefully you can help answer this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SWILEO View Post

Reference some of the above, I had some questions. How does ISP time-off get handled. To give an idea of what I mean I'll explain ours: We have ten personal days a year given to be taken when ever. You start off with ten vacation days as well that goes up to 15 at year five and every five years so on. For ANY overtime (exception being Grant work) we can take pay or bank it into our comp bank or as we call it "A time". This comp used to be bought out each year or so until recent years when money got tight for the city. Now, you just keep accumulating the comp time and can use it whenever you want and it rolls over each year. So basically we can take off when ever we want as long as manpower allows.

Also, don't your promotion applicants get put into a pool for the supervisor to choose from as they choose for the open spot? I've never understood ISPs way for these things and I only kind of know one trooper since we rarely see or work with them around here, so hopefully you can help answer this. Thanks.
                        I have never been turned down from using sick, comp or vacation time.

You get a personal day each quarter and can have at least 25 hours in the bank and any accumulation after that goes to sick. So everyone burns a personal day before the next one hits.

OT can be paid or taken as comp (except project or grant) and you can accumulate both as time and a half if your over a certain amount of hours during the pay period. We don’t cash out comp time. You just have to use it. Vacation is the same as yours except I think we start with 12 days a year and get more every five years. You can only carryover 40 vacation days a year so for me I have to burn some hours at the end of the year to be under 40 and then Jan 1, I get all my new hours.

As for promotion, we obviously are a larger department and we have job openings (promotion) every month. We offer a promotion test annually and you can keep that score for 2 years. If you score above a 70% you can put in for any job (some require specific residential requirements). From there, you sit an interview and get graded throughout process. Top 3 candidates go on to Superintendents desk for a pick with recommendations from commanders along the way.

Thats is the short version... I can go into more detail on promotion but that should suffice.

Comment

Here is a link for the health insurance and pension http://www.in.gov/isp/2350.htm.

You get 12 vacations day for 1-4 years of service once you reach year 5 you get 15 days a years.

I do not anticipate a lateral class anytime soon. Next academy will start July 15, 2018 and graduate December 13, 2018.

No additional pay for degree(s). No tuition reimbursement.

Patrol tours varies by districts and/or assignments.

Comment

Any word on a future Lateral School?

Originally posted by ISP Recruiter View Post

Comment

I know that ISP have a tattoo policy. Can someone clearfy how strict are they about tattoos? If you have tattoos on your forearm, will they accept the applicant? Or maybe wear long sleeves?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4291 users online. 276 members and 4015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X