300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness Test question?

I understand that Indiana police departments go pretty much on the same fitness testing standards and its a pass or fail system. However my question is does one applicant stand out more if their for example if their 1.5 mile run time is 11:00 vs another who got 14:00? They both would pass but would a better time help one applicant stand out for selection or no? Thanks everyone!

My honest opinion.. not at all. I havent seen any department remember who does well or take that into consideration.. unfortunately. I started out trying hard and running it in 10.. then realizing and taking it easier doing it in 12 something.. but it is possible that the officers helping out and watching notice u and possibly put in a good word. So its still good to try

Comment

I think it can somewhat depend on the size of the department. If you are applying to a smaller department where you are one of only a handful of applicants participating in the PT test than it possibly could as they are more likely to remember your performance. Most larger departments, because of the number of applicants, just go on a pass/fail. However I will say that it would never hurt to give your best regardless of the department. Later down the road when your application packet is being compared to others it is never a bad thing for your PT numbers to be better than the guy/gal who's packet is being compared to yours.

Also, the general focus on fitness level does vary from agency to agency regardless of size. To give an example, a few years back when I got into LE I applied to Carmel PD and on fitness test day they made a huge point to go DI mode on the PT test and pushed us to get the best numbers possible. I also applied to Fishers PD where they told us just to hit the exit standard because (paraphrasing) "being in law enforcement isn't about how many pushups you can do, it's about how you talk to and deal with people." Giving this example isn't meant to cast a negative light on either of these departments, just wanted to illustrate the difference.

In general my advice would be to give your best unless specifically told not to. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Big Bad Brad; 07-01-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Does not matter

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4344 users online. 275 members and 4069 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X