300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info for an Out of State LEO

My wife and I are looking around the country at different places to move, we're currently living in Arizona, in a Phoenix suburb. We've been looking about some Midwest states and recently looked into Indiana.

just wondering what are some pros and cons of raising kids and working out there? We've looked around Indianapolis and Fort Wayne.

Also wondering about pay for agencies? Regular salary schedules, take homes, etc. Cost of living is pretty good out there from looking in (especially comparing Fort Wayne area). Starting out here is usually around $50,000 and maxing at around $73,000 at about 8 years.

Thank you!

Indy "closed applications" date is 03-19. You can't be over 36 years old.
    http://www.how-to-become-a-police-of.../indianapolis/
    http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IM.../schedule.aspx
    Fort Wayne is running applications from March to May. 35 is the age limit.

The Indy pay is somewhat better than that of Fort Wayne. Either city allows residency in any of the adjacent counties, Fort Wayne has 3 rivers, Indy has the White River, lots of creeks, 88 sq. mi. of lakes.

Both cities offer take-home cars.

If it were me, I'd get the application to Indy in right away (because of the timeline), and then consider other midwest cities.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
      Indy "closed applications" date is 03-19. You can't be over 36 years old.
      http://www.how-to-become-a-police-of.../indianapolis/
      http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IM.../schedule.aspx
      Fort Wayne is running applications from March to May. 35 is the age limit.

The Indy pay is somewhat better than that of Fort Wayne. Either city allows residency in any of the adjacent counties, Fort Wayne has 3 rivers, Indy has the White River, lots of creeks, 88 sq. mi. of lakes.

Both cities offer take-home cars.

If it were me, I'd get the application to Indy in right away (because of the timeline), and then consider other midwest cities.

Best of luck to you.
      Thank you for the response. Does Indy have a posted pay scale? What I saw was a 3 step scale on their website, I've just never seen an agency that tops out at 3 years?

Comment

I didn't readily find an official one -- this from payscale.com looks plausible:
        The average salary for Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department employees is $72,000 per year. Visit PayScale to research Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department salaries, bonuses, reviews, benefits, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Az_so View Post

Thank you for the response. Does Indy have a posted pay scale? What I saw was a 3 step scale on their website, I've just never seen an agency that tops out at 3 years?
          This might be small but it's the best I have, the original doc is long gone. This is from our latest contract that went into effect in Jan. With my FTO pay, master patrolman pay, longevity, and college incentive, I make around 73k as a beat car. Take home car as well. The pay isn't bad. We can live in the City/County or 1 county out (doughnut counties).

Comment

Shoot me A pm if interested, I recently retired from an Indiana agency, passed AZ POST and am in the valley. I believe I could be a decent resource.

Comment

I wish Indy didn’t have an age limit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3647 users online. 202 members and 3445 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X