300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excise Police

Now that they have an application deadline on their site, anyone have any information on them? Specifics of their everyday duties? Is it just breaking up college parties and sending a minor in to stores to see if they will sell them alochol/tobacco? I'm curious because as far as I know in Michigan we don't have a separate entity such as the excise police. Anyone know how many they are planning to hire and what their process is? Any and all information would be great, thanks!

I was seriously thinking about applying with them, but since the department is relatively small and the districts are large with few officers, I am assuming the chances of being placed close to home or even being able to transfer close to home would be slim.

Not only that, my grandfather owns a liquor store in my town so I can guarantee they would not place me here as long as its in the family. That would be a HUGE conflict of interest.

I'd be nailing the local grocery and drug stores with beer/liquor on everything I could nail them on.

Seriously, even though they are on the same pay scale as ISP, I don't think I would enjoy it. I want to be on the road enforcing traffic and criminal law, not going undercover busting alcohol parties and checking permits and establishments and stuff like that.

Comment

You can get beer and liquor in a drug store in IN? You can get it in the same store? Here in TN only beer is sold in grocery stores and convienence stores. Liquor is sold only at liquor stores. Liquor stores cannot sell beer. They also cannot sell soft drinks or mixers without alcohol. There are some crafty stores owners out there. Some have built convenience stores adjacent and next to liquor stores. However, they cannot have an access between the two stores. There must be a wall. One can, however, exit the store and walk next door to the next store, as long as the exit and return for the outside.
      That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71
        You can get beer and liquor in a drug store in IN? You can get it in the same store? Here in TN only beer is sold in grocery stores and convienence stores. Liquor is sold only at liquor stores. Liquor stores cannot sell beer. They also cannot sell soft drinks or mixers without alcohol. There are some crafty stores owners out there. Some have built convenience stores adjacent and next to liquor stores. However, they cannot have an access between the two stores. There must be a wall. One can, however, exit the store and walk next door to the next store, as long as the exit and return for the outside.
        In Indiana, liquor stores can sell beer, wine, liquor and cold beer/wine. They cannot sell cold soda pop INSIDE the store. Pop machines outside are okay.

Grocery stores can sell warm beer and wine. They can also sell liquor IF they have a pharmacy.

A drug store (CVS) can sell warm beer and liquor because they have pharmacies.

A convenience store can sell warm beer and wine if they sell enough food items to be considered a "grocery store." This is actually a problem, because there is no clear definition as to what constitutes a grocery store on the state statute.

Also, no carry out alcohol sales on Sunday, Christmas, New Years and Election day (election day carry out sales can begin when the polls close at 6pm.)

Comment

The laws and enforcement of alcohol is odd in Indiana. I do not feel that alcohol items should be allowed to be displayed in areas that are accessible to minors. It is far too easy for them to steal it. Kids don't need a case to get drunk. A couple bottles here and there from the six packs will suffice many for the night.

I use to work in a grocery store while in college and every person I nailed shoplifting alcohol except for a few, were minors. And believe me, for every kid I caught stealing, 25 got away with it. We'd find missing bottles from the six packs and wine coolers EVERY DAY. Unless drug/grocery/convenience stores are forced to display these items up front in a restriced area, THEY WILL NOT DO IT.

Another problem is that an 18yo can sell beer in these stores. What's going to stop them from "selling" to their friends during a period when business is slow and not many adults are around. Again, I caught a high schooler doing this.

State excise police can also sit and watch LIQUOR stores and stop people just to see if they are 21. They, by law, cannot do this with other stores. This was quoted in the Evansville Courier Press a couple years back by a state excise officer.

Comment

What's the website?
            Your mom...

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle
              What's the website?

Comment

Thank you!
                Your mom...

Comment

Gotta love California....Go to the supermarket and buy a cold beer, bottle of booze with mixers and soda, and fill your xanex(sp?) script under the same roof.

Comment

Got my letter today looks like excise is finally gearing up

Comment

Really, I haven't got any info. yet. Anyone else???

Comment

Letter dated 3/2/2007

Test is at the Indiana Government Center 3/17 at 10am and 2pm
                        also 3/31 at 10am and 2pm

It says that you have to mail the letter back to them by 3/15 to tell them what session you will be attending it says that each session may be limited to 200 applicants

Comment

Does anyone know what the test will be like or have any ideas about it?
                          Your mom...

Comment

I imagine that it will be just like any police test they didnt send a study guide like IMPD did you get a letter as well

Comment

I am horrible at checking my mail. I do it like once every week and a half. Awful isnt it? I will check it in the morning when I get home from work. I just didnt know if the test would be any different from IMPD or ISP.
                              Your mom...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4301 users online. 270 members and 4031 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X