X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP pay

http://fox59.com/2015/07/21/state-tr...he-statehouse/

Sent from my 4G LG G3 using Tapatalk
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

sigpic

If they come across the bridge they will find that the Illinois State Police are well compensated both in pay, benefits and especially in retirement.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Bummer. On another note, I work with a former IN trooper, professional as he is, never did he say compensation was his reason for crossing the stateline.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
        Bummer. On another note, I work with a former IN trooper, professional as he is, never did he say compensation was his reason for crossing the stateline.
        Depends how long it's been since he crossed...if it was during the Whitesell administration then that's probably why. He would've left because of morale, not for pay...if he was working during that time just ask him how things were.

Right now the reason is pay...the legislature gave a 2% raise, which is basically a slap in the face, the OT system is ridiculous and the insurance is a very expensive joke. More will be leaving at the first chance...

Sent from my 4G LG G3 using Tapatalk
        I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
        it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

He has been with my agency about 3 to 4 years now, I admit I dont know who's administration that was at the other ISP. I dont think its fair to compare IL SP to IN SP because on the whole IL is a more expensive place to stay. But the pay should be comparable to the other agencies in IN however. Do they actually enforce the 5 year service contract, I remember that from when I submitted my application.

Comment

Sad thing is that after 3 years I made more than a Trooper with 20. It's sad that they pay so little. I am surprised they are able to recruit enough applicants with that joke of a pay scale.

Comment

They can't recruit applicants with that pay scale. At least not ones that want to make a career of it. I wonder where their representation has been or why they stay so quiet on the matter? I know Daniels took away bargaining but I think they still have some type of internal troopers association.

Comment

The new pay rate likely isn't enough. If you look at IMPD and some of the suburban agencies around Indy, pay is getting to be pretty decent. When you factor in the take home car (even just to and from home, factor in gas, insurance, tires, and possibly a second personal vehicle payment) and over-time plus off-duty, pay can actually be very nice.

I think it is more important than ever for officers to maximize their pay. Thinking that retirement funds will be there if you are in your 20s and 30s is very risky. Sure, IL trooper retirement looks good on paper, but then look at the state pension deficit. Doesn't matter what a court rules on the issue, when investors shy away from junk bonds, people move due to oppressive tax rates, then there won't be any money to fund huge pension benefits.
                Last edited by Dwntwn317; 01-10-2020, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                  The pay scale is a joke. If you look at IMPD and some of the suburban agencies around Indy, pay is getting to be pretty decent. When you factor in the take home car (even just to and from home, factor in gas, insurance, tires, and possibly a second personal vehicle payment) and over-time plus off-duty, pay can actually be very nice.

I think it is more important than ever for officers to maximize their pay. Thinking that retirement funds will be there if you are in your 20s and 30s is very risky. Sure, IL trooper retirement looks good on paper, but then look at the state pension deficit. Doesn't matter what a court rules on the issue, when investors shy away from junk bonds, people move due to oppressive tax rates, then there won't be any money to fund the golden pensions. So this is why it is very important for new, younger officers to make as much as they can so they can either pay down debt (home, other loans) and pay less interest and put some money away in 401(k) type plans or Roth IRAs.

For what ISP does, I can't see how they keep anyone. Even some of the medium sized cities around the state are topping out around $50K with take home vehicle, plus over-time and off-duty available, and that is usually obtained within five to seven years, not after a decade. As far as the contract to pay the state back, I wouldn't even care about that. Last I heard it wasn't that much money. Even if it is $10K after five years with the state, who cares. Go to Carmel, Fishers, or any other department who offers lateral pay and you will likely make up that $10K owed to the state within your first year on the job at such agencies. People need to look at the entire picture and not focus on just the 'I will have to pay the state back x dollars if I leave.'
                  Have you ever worked for ISP or had a job with employment contract to pay back if you leave early? And I agree on your points about money.

Comment

Have you ever worked for ISP or had a job with employment contract to pay back if you leave early? And I agree on your points about money.
                    Federal Court just ruled in CA that LAPD cannot require officers to pay back the dept even though they signed a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                      Federal Court just ruled in CA that LAPD cannot require officers to pay back the dept even though they signed a contract.
                      I think that's just for their policy. You didn't have to pay it back if you left for private sector job. I don't know what ISP'S contact says so I can't speak for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                        Training contracts are rampant in Iowa..................Since the only way to get academy certified is to be hired or sponsored by an agency nearly every place that sends officers to the academy has a contract to repay. They are usually sliding scales up to 3 or 4 yrs.

The Iowa supreme court has upheld these contracts.

There is also a rule in place via the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy Council (police licensing agency) to de-certify a person who fails to payback the agency that trained them. This rule has been used often to de-certify former police officers
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It seems that things are even worst with the Capital Police Division of ISP. It will take them 5-10 years to make what a Trooper starts at. I realize Capital Police have a limited area of coverage, but they are still sworn law enforcement with the same responsibility to protect life, liberty, and property. I am no way saying that they should be paid the same, just an actual livable wage. (Really it is the perfect assignment for R.O.D. Troopers. They should fully absorb the CP and have it be another assignment Troopers can put in for.)

Comment

I've never had that be an issue for me. The only departments I know that had those were Cheyenne, WY PD and then ISP. The thing is, Cheyenne PD pay didn't look too bad back then. They were also only asking to be reimbursed for the vest and maybe uniforms. I've had some discussions with co-workers and there are always questions on if a court has ever enforced such a contract, or if there has ever been someone who hasn't paid and what actions did the department take (civil suit, etc.). Personally, since it is likely a person that left went to another police department and is on a fire-for-anything probationary period, I would strongly suggesting paying the contract. If one signs it, it won't look good if they try to get out of paying it. Sounds like rulings vary depending on locality.

Originally posted by intelguy View Post
                            It seems that things are even worst with the Capital Police Division of ISP. It will take them 5-10 years to make what a Trooper starts at. I realize Capital Police have a limited area of coverage, but they are still sworn law enforcement with the same responsibility to protect life, liberty, and property. I am no way saying that they should be paid the same, just an actual livable wage. (Really it is the perfect assignment for R.O.D. Troopers. They should fully absorb the CP and have it be another assignment Troopers can put in for.)
                            Departments that don't get with the program in or near major urban areas are going to suffer greatly. They will get a smaller applicant pool. I'm seeing more and more young people not only obtaining advanced degrees, they are more willing to move for a job than I've seen in the past.
                            Last edited by Dwntwn317; 01-10-2020, 04:50 AM.

Comment

My co-worker who came from ISP told me that they never said anything to him about paying anything back and he left before the five year period also.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5362 users online. 317 members and 5045 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X