300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Volunteers (Not reserves)

What departments out there are utilizing civilian volunteers for things such as parking at special events, vacation checks, things like that? I saw IMPD does but the website doesn't have much info.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Before I joined the Army, I worked for MCSO (Maricopa County) as a Posseman. It was an extremely unique position that allowed someone to to preform a wide variety of Law Enforcement functions based on their training, which was tiered to what level you had completed. There was basic, intermediate, advanced(Taser OC Baton), and QAP (Qualified Armed Posseman) meaning you were armed while preforming your duties. The uniforms mirrored that of a sworn deputy down to every detail except on the badge would read "Sheriff's Posse" in lieu of "Deputy Sheriff".... You could chose to volunteer with almost any unit within the office however the most popular would be working the district where you either partner with a deputy for the shift or took your own car and had your own callsign and would assist on calls when needed and even take minor call such as audible or even silent panic alarms (when supervisor approved) but essentially when working with a deputy you had all of his authority to carry out police actions under the color of the sworn deputy's authority. It was a great experience builder and I had fun for the two years I did it...

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
      What departments out there are utilizing civilian volunteers for things such as parking at special events, vacation checks, things like that? I saw IMPD does but the website doesn't have much info.
      IMPD has reserves (full law enforcement abilities) and PSOs (Public Safety Officers who are unarmed but drive a similar car to sworn officers) which are units who only do accidents. We also have PAO's who sit at desks in roll call and take walk in reports but cannot provide any less enforcement function.

To my knowledge we do not have any "civilians" who do anything you mentioned. Vacation checks (PWP's) and parking at special events are all taken care of by sworn personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus08 View Post
        To my knowledge we do not have any "civilians" who do anything you mentioned. Vacation checks (PWP's) and parking at special events are all taken care of by sworn personnel.
        I think he is referring to this:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IM.../civilian.aspx

The Civilian Volunteer Police Unit is a support organization of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. It is comprised of citizens who perform many duties to assist the Department in meeting its goals and providing service.

Along with providing valuable citizen support to the department, the CVP Unit:

•Allows direct involvement of citizens in law enforcement functions.

•Provides citizens the opportunity to learn about city police services.

•Provides a meaningful and interesting volunteer experience for the citizens of Indianapolis.

Members of the Civilian Volunteer Police Program serve in many capacities, including traffic details, special events assistance, and emergency call-out details.
        There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by halfacop View Post
          I think he is referring to this:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IM.../civilian.aspx

The Civilian Volunteer Police Unit is a support organization of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. It is comprised of citizens who perform many duties to assist the Department in meeting its goals and providing service.

Along with providing valuable citizen support to the department, the CVP Unit:

•Allows direct involvement of citizens in law enforcement functions.

•Provides citizens the opportunity to learn about city police services.

•Provides a meaningful and interesting volunteer experience for the citizens of Indianapolis.

Members of the Civilian Volunteer Police Program serve in many capacities, including traffic details, special events assistance, and emergency call-out details.
          Wow... You learn something new everyday. I can honestly say I've never seen any of them out or even heard of them.

Why don't we use them for race day details? Anyone know how many we actually have?

Comment

It's fairly popular in California, but its often limited to Seniors over 55 years.

https://www.google.com/search?source...gram%2C+police
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3906 users online. 273 members and 3633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X