300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7K Garcia cycle-Officers Beware

Recently a department that I heard about went to a 12 hour work schedule, their administrators told them how great it is, that they could have off every other week end, they were also told if they didn't go to it, the administrators would put them on a more harsh schedule. They were advised they would have a vote. The administration failed to mention or would not mention their cruel plans. Once the officers agreed to work to schedule under an illusion, their true intentions emerged. Now the officers have to work more without proper compensation. If your curious, as I was then google 7K Garcia cycle. Once I read this online, I would not want to go to this ridiculous schedule or any other like it unless I was paid for my time. If your agency plans to go to this lucrative schedule avoid it or pay the price.

Originally posted by IN_Cop_7982 View Post
    If your curious, as I was then google 7K Garcia cycle. Once I read this online, I would not want to go to this ridiculous schedule or any other like it unless I was paid for my time. If your agency plans to go to this lucrative schedule avoid it or pay the price.
    Not sure what your agenda is, but I read the article. Everything in it is true, and has been for some time now. Anyone who researched a career in LE who didn't know this, well shame on them. All I know is that my employer would work with any officer who wanted to take what is usually an hour and fifteen minute class. The officer could use paid time off, comp time, or flex their time. Additionally, there are numerous on-line course emerging as time goes on, and many of these don't require being on the computer at any certain time.

Yes, it sucks from an OT pay stand point, but again, this issue has been well known for some time now. I see nothing in the law that claims a typical 40-hour work week is exempt from this plan. All an entity has to do is declare their pay period a seven day pay period (Sun-Sat) and that the work hours are 40/hrs a week and anything over that up to three hours a week won't be overtime but straight pay/comp under FLSA rules. Our department is considering the every other weekend off 12 hr. schedule, but they might even modify it by allowing officers to pick a day to go home early four hours (out of the two weeks they work) so paychecks will still be based on an 80 hour figure. All it will do is likely cause more drafting for overtime, which could result in more grievances being filed. However, for departments where many officers want OT, but it isn't available, it can be a nice bump in pay so long as the entity doesn't cap the two week pay hours at 80. Working the normal seven 12-hr shifts means getting paid for 84 hours, not 80. And OT would kick in after only working over another two hours during that time.

Also, most university police agencies don't provide a take-home police vehicle to their officers. A take home vehicle would save me thousands per year. Having to drive to work around 75 less days a year would save wear and tear on my vehicle and savings in gas costs. Additionally, my employer bases vacation earnings on working 40 hours a week, but if you work more than that, you get a bit more in your vacation bank. The problem is actually holidays, as if you work on a holiday but want it off, my employer only gives eight hours of holiday. We aren't sure if they would change this provision for the police or not, allowing us to get 12 hours of holiday pay to cover the entire shift off for that day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4446 users online. 226 members and 4220 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X