300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounty hunter questions

Ive applied for my share of departments so im pretty much just doing the waiting game as we speak.My question is there any money in bounty hunting even as a side job or to much of a hassle.I know its called recovery agent,bail enforcement so i cant find no info online.Any help would be good sorry im not looking to be the next dog imo hes a clown

Be sure to check the laws for the various jurisdictions where you wish to work. There may be licensing or other requirements that you'll have to comply with. Last thing you want is to get hooked for something stupid that could have been prevented.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Use the search function and type in "bounty hunter" or "bail enforcement." You've got to do a little scrolling, but the wisdom of this line of work has already been discussed a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        Use the search function and type in "bounty hunter" or "bail enforcement." You've got to do a little scrolling, but the wisdom of this line of work has already been discussed a number of times.
        Ditto!

As with any "para" LE jobs, bounty hunting presents more opportunity to ruin a potential career as a LEO than in any way, shape or form benefit you. The same can be said about security, PI work, loss prevention, etc. More often than not folks think they will get the big caper that will propel them forward- heck some think they will be sworn in on the spot after catching Mr. Big, but nothing could be further from reality.

Bounty Hunters, PI's, Security, Loss Prevention and the like serve an important role but they should NOT be seen as a pathway to law enforcement. If you want valuable experience that will help- get a customer service job that pays a decent wage and keep the job until you get picked up.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Bounty Hunter + Police = Conflict of Interest at my agency.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I should have qualified my answer a bit. You can make money as a Bounty Hunter, actually some folks make a great living chasing skips, but you need to have both tenacity and contacts in some unsavory areas- which does not comport with a typical applicant.

I can assure you that unless and until you establish yourself in that field, as soon as you show up at a fugitives neighborhood folks will either play you or run you to ground for a cut of the bounty in exchange for a dead lead. Depending on who you 'work' for you may have to pay for your own subscription to the networks and databases needed to track skips, you will work on your own dime and only get paid if you catch the skip and even then you may have to wait until the bond is surrendered and released by the courts before the bail bond pays you.

You will spend countless hours hanging out in some real wonderful communities trying to find that one skip to pay the bills so you can spend countless hours looking for the next one. Rinse and repeat.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I was a "bounty hunter" for three years before I became a Deputy Sheriff.

I would very highly recommend against getting into the line of work unless if you know people in the "business." Right now, the job market is flooded with veterans and laid off cops who all claim to be "bounty hunters" of one sort or another.

It is a very high risk to low reward business and the liability is incredible. You have almost zero legal protections that are afforded to law enforcement.

Comment

And being you are next door in IN....

(725 ILCS 5/103-9) (from Ch. 38, par. 103-9)
                Sec. 103-9. Bail bondsmen. No bail bondsman from any state may seize or transport unwillingly any person found in this State who is allegedly in violation of a bail bond posted in some other state. The return of any such person to another state may be accomplished only as provided by the laws of this State. Any bail bondsman who violates this Section is fully subject to the criminal and civil penalties provided by the laws of this State for his actions.
                (Source: P.A. 84-694.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5157 users online. 286 members and 4871 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X