Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana perf

Hello,

I went and took my PERF psych/physical a couple weeks ago and was wondering how long until I hear something?

Anyone know when the pension board actually meets to vote this month?

Thanks and stay safe out there.

Did you ever hear back?

Comment

Originally posted by UNDERDOG88 View Post
      Did you ever hear back?
      I have not. Someone told me that they met Friday the 13th and Im just hoping they had my stuff to vote on it.

Comment

I just did mine yesterday. I really hope I don't have to wait until after there next meeting on October 25 to hear back.

Comment

All I can say is don't get in a hurry to hear back. I went Monday August 12th and still do not have my approval letter back yet. I was told last week that it should be here by next Tuesday though. They definitely do not get in a hurry.

Comment

My chief also told me that the board meets once a week now instead of once a month.

Comment

That's ridiculous to have to wait that long.

Comment

Ya, apparently 4-6 weeks is the normal waiting period to hear back from PERF. It ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by SWAT26 View Post
                  All I can say is don't get in a hurry to hear back. I went Monday August 12th and still do not have my approval letter back yet. I was told last week that it should be here by next Tuesday though. They definitely do not get in a hurry.
                  I was there on the 12th as well! I hope we both hear something soon.

Comment

I got my approval letter last Friday! I start October 7th!

Comment

Originally posted by SWAT26 View Post
                      I got my approval letter last Friday! I start October 7th!
                      Fantastic! I called my Dept and they said Im all good. Just need to iron out paperwork and Ill be good to go as well.

Comment

Do any of you know how PERF works. I am looking at returning home. I have been down here in Florida for most of my career. Here they have FRS (Florida Retirement System) Before the recent governor mad changes it simply worked as followed 3% per year, vested after 6, draw at 55 or 25 years of service. Translation 3% times 25 years = 75% of your 5 highest years (eg if you were making $100,000 during your five highest years you would make $75,000 a year for life.

How does PERF compare or even work?

Comment

Kimball, long time no see! Anyway, your retirement down there is no doubt better than here. PERF works like this: You can retire with 20 years of service and draw at 52 years of age. Your amount will be: at 20 years, you will get 50% of a 1st class patrolman's salary for your department. Say a 1st class patrolman makes $50k a year, you'll draw $25k a year, before taxes. For every 6 months you stay over 20 years, it goes up 1% to a max of 74%. Also, you must be accepted into PERF prior to your 36th birthday.

There is ALWAYS talk about IN going to some kind of a percentage of your 3 highest years, but it will never happen. And I can almost guarantee that. I've been to the IACOP's conference the last few years and the legislatures aren't interested in changing it.
                          towncop
                          Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
                          Last edited by towncop; 09-29-2013, 03:45 PM.
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Towncop,

Yes sir, been a while. I've been down here in Florida working since 2006. I am headed back to Indiana tomorrow. I had forgot my password for a while and no longer have that email to have it reset.

Anyways, great info. I thought that was what PERF was, but wasn't sure seemed low compared to down here.

On to my next question. Is PERF portable, and what I mean, if you get on with an agency and work there for a few years and turn 36, 37, 38 whatever, can you go to another agency that is PERF? What makes Sheriff Departments and Universities different? Is it the same retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by off_kimball View Post
                              On to my next question. Is PERF portable, and what I mean, if you get on with an agency and work there for a few years and turn 36, 37, 38 whatever, can you go to another agency that is PERF? What makes Sheriff Departments and Universities different? Is it the same retirement?
                              There are various PERFs around, and each one is separate of each other, but you can transfer a basic PERF from one job to another, so long as that new job is under basic PERF. The PERF that Towncop describes is the '77 Police and Fire PERF. It is mostly used by municipal agencies for police and fire retirement. I don't know the specifics on the state laws governing municipalities, so this form of retirement might not be mandated, thus some municipalities could be under another form of retirement plan.

Most Sheriff's departments are considered county departments, and some are under basic PERF. Others actually use the word "Police" (ie: St. Joseph and Lake Co.), so I'm not sure what plan they are under. Again, state law would dictate what, if any, retirement plans a county government has to offer.

Universities are also controlled by state law. State law just says the university (public) has to offer something I believe.
                              Dwntwn317
                              Forum Member
                              Last edited by Dwntwn317; 01-10-2020, 05:56 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3596 users online. 237 members and 3359 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X