Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions regarding IMPD

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by BtownUSA; 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM.

Originally posted by BtownUSA View Post
    I originally posted this in the Ask a Cop section, but then discovered that there are discussion groups by state. If you can't tell, I'm new to the fourm. Sorry about that!

Hi All,

Some info.:

I am currently on summer break from IU-Bloomington, where I will be a sophomore when I return. As far as academics are concerned, I am double majoring in History and Criminal Justice with my ideal career being a police officer (IMPD is the absolute top agency that I am shooting for, but with recent trends, I will not hold my breath. That being said, things can change in in the time span until graduation. (might be wishful thinking, huh)
    Luckily for me, IU has a Cadet/Officer program which I plan on applying to in the coming year. During the first year of the program, I would work as a cadet (no law-enforcement powers, basically providing security to the SRSC, Wells, etc.) After the cadet year, and during the summer of my junior year, I would attend the academy in Bloomington and become certified. I would spend my senior year working part time (as a campus police officer), and thus by the time I graduate I will not only have my degree(s), but I will also be ILEA certified. So hopefully it'll work out.

Personal History:

I have a clean background that has nothing on it, in terms of “being in trouble" with the law; no arrests, no negative contact, not even a speeding ticket. I make my best attempt to keep my nose clean.

Now on to some questions:

1. Specifically for the IMPD process (but responses in re to other processes are also greatly appreciated), how much of an advantage will being ILEA certified give me? I fully understand that it does not make me, as someone on here put, "God’s gift to Law Enforcement," and I know that I would have to go through IMPD's academy. Was just wondering how it was viewed by recruiters.
    It can be an advantage as it shows that you were able to meet ILEA standards, however, we have our own academy so you will have to go through all of it again. Not a big deal for a young person like yourself. I went through the IU Cadet Program as an IUPUI Officer back in 1997
    2. Back in sophomore year of high school, I did experiment with marijuana, but I can count on one hand the amount of times. How will this prior usage factor into consideration in the process?
    Not a big issue, just be honest about it when asked.
    3. As far as job history goes, I have not actually had a job "per se." However, throughout high school I worked in my neighborhood cutting grass, cleaning gutters, etc. I also helped my grandpa renovate his cabin. In college, I have, and still do volunteer with numerous organizations, includeing theAmerican Red Cross, and College Mentors for Kids to name a few. How will this lack of job experience impact my chances?
    Not sure
    4. Similarly, being a full time student, I have not had a chance to build credit. I have talked with my parents about this, and they may be considering taking out a school loan in my name and then paying it back--to help establish a little credit. How does this almost non-existent credit history factor into the process?

Again, not sure.
    Thank you all in advance for your thoughtful comments!
    Stay safe!

Andrew Buis

P.S. I just filled out the form to do my first ride-along in the Southeast District, so it should be a good experience

Comment

Thank you for your reply MCSD! It is greatly appreciated!

Comment

1. Specifically for the IMPD process (but responses in re to other processes are also greatly appreciated), how much of an advantage will being ILEA certified give me? Was just wondering how it was viewed by recruiters.
        In the '90s, it seemed to be much more of help with those agencies who didn't send you to their own academy. However, I have seen a definite change, at least with some agencies. Most agencies in suburban Indy are using a very strict scored hiring process. I went threw two such processes and both times they said lawsuits were the reason the process is used. In both of the processes I was in, the first day was the physical testing and later in the day the written test. Then came the board interview, followed by the application/background check, then eventually a Chief's interview (maybe with a board, maybe merit board, might or might not be scored).

The physical test, the written test, and the first board interview all have numbers attached to them. As far as I knew, academy certification did nothing in these stages. Eventually I made it past an interview board. I was told that there was a 50% cut rate for one department I applied to in the full application/background stage. Those cut almost always did so because they either didn't do their best to list everything and anything, or outright lied on the application. It won't be until after this stage that certification might help you. It will most likely help if the department budget is an issue, or they want to get people on their own ASAP. So in the end, it will help, but it likely won't help in the current structured hiring processes that I am seeing.

2. Back in sophomore year of high school, I did experiment with marijuana, but I can count on one hand the amount of times. How will this prior usage factor into consideration in the process?
        You must be completely honest about this, and any other crimes, if asked. Just be forward with it. Trying to hide it, or minimize it is the worst thing you can do. I know plenty of officers who smoked marijuana and they were at a handful of agencies. Being honest is the key.

3. As far as job history goes, I have not actually had a job "per se." However, throughout high school I worked in my neighborhood cutting grass, cleaning gutters, etc. I also helped my grandpa renovate his cabin. In college, I have, and still do volunteer with numerous organizations, includeing theAmerican Red Cross, and College Mentors for Kids to name a few. How will this lack of job experience impact my chances?
        It could play an impact, but it won't be an issue until the later stages. You really do need to have some sort of work. Lawn work absolutely counts, and if you worked for family, that counts as well. Volunteer stuff is good. Some advice I can give you as one who applied for another department in my early 30s, start a data sheet now. That data sheet will need to include names, phone numbers, and addresses of past employers. Again, list everything, and try your best to include the names of those folks you cut grass for, and how to contact them today. It doesn't matter if you have to list thirty people individually on an application. They will understand and appreciate the honesty. In addition, they will want to know every single address you lived, even if it was just for a week/month. They will want to know all roommates, even boarders, even friends who needed a place to crash for a week/month. Gather that data now.

4. Similarly, being a full time student, I have not had a chance to build credit. I have talked with my parents about this, and they may be considering taking out a school loan in my name and then paying it back--to help establish a little credit. How does this almost non-existent credit history factor into the process?
        You will want some sort of credit background. I would absolutely get at least one or two student loans in your name. One thing you will need to watch our for is that since you will need to be honest (if asked) that your parents paid on these loans, you might consider a credit card capped at a few thousand dollars. If you get the IU job, use it for small things, pay it off monthly. Just having the ability to get into debt, and then not doing it, will show at least some sort of financial stability. I recall having to note some financial stuff on my applications. Usually they want to know your total debt load, if you had to declare bankruptcy, etc..

Comment

I'm from Bloomington, went to IU, was BPD, now Beech Grove (encompassed by SE district.) PM me if you want.

Comment

Dwntwn317:

I sincerely appreciate the wonderful and very helpful advice! As when questioned anytime, and in the application process, I will be entirely honest about everything. The data sheet suggestion is an excellent idea! I'll have to do some recall on the names of the people, but that won't be too difficult. Again, thank you so much for the information!
            Stay safe!

Bluepelican 31:
            If I have any further questions, I will be sure to PM ya. Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7573 users online. 415 members and 7158 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X