Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana University moving away from PERF pension, passing along healthcare costs

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana University moving away from PERF pension, passing along healthcare costs

So I hear that starting July 1st of this year, IU will no longer be offering any sort of government ran pension plan for new hires. What is everyone here seeing and/or hearing within their departments about pensions and healthcare? I've worked for a handful of departments over the years and it seems pensions and healthcare costs are becoming more of an issue everywhere.
    Last edited by Dwntwn317; 01-10-2020, 05:00 AM.

A lot of universities use TIAACREF as a retirement plan. If that is the case, it is a solid system and may arguably be better than the state system. I don't see it having any affect on hiring or recruitment.

Comment

Yeah, IU has used TIAA/CREF for its academic staff for a long time. I think even IUPD brass were/are covered under one of these plans because they were considered Professional Appointment instead of Service/Maintenance.

Comment

My wife works for IU School of Medicine and when she went from clerical to professional she went from PERF to TIAA/CREF. PERF SUCKS!!!!! TIAA/CREFF is so much better.

Comment

Sorry to rehash an old thread but just read this. Would this mean that the hiring age will raise when this changes?

Comment

IUPD never had an age cap. They are under the regular PERF, not 1977 PERF. All full time officers are on PERF. SGT and above are on TIAA/CREF.

Comment

IUPD reorganized and a new classification was created. They are now “Law Enforcement” instead of “Service/Maintenance.”

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5224 users online. 332 members and 4892 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X