300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era: Take home cars

Well, about a week after rumors of limited take-home car usage (or no take home cars all together) for IMPD comes a story from Columbia City, IN. Seems all city issued take-home cars, not just police, are now just that. You take it home, park it, drive it in to work, then back to your driveway. I've also heard through the grapevine that another smaller agency said that if IMPD loses take-home cars, they will as well. With this economy, broke municipalities, and $4/gallon gas, I can see the end is coming.

Please, no silly games this time around!

6839533940_ae9ddd7c3b_m.jpg
    Last edited by Dwntwn317; 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM.

Meh, I don't drive it off-duty anyway. Now the SWAT and EOD guys will take longer to respond to a scene since they have to drive from where they are at to their house, pick up their car, then respond. Instead of responding from where they are at with their patrol car off-duty. Oh well. They really won't save much by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
      Meh, I don't drive it off-duty anyway. Now the SWAT and EOD guys will take longer to respond to a scene since they have to drive from where they are at to their house, pick up their car, then respond. Instead of responding from where they are at with their patrol car off-duty. Oh well. They really won't save much by doing this.
      It was bound to happen at some point. The voice of those who don't think officers should have them is louder than those who don't see an issue with it. I'd prefer you guys keep them, if you have a fee taken out of your pay than you can keep driving them for personal use. If you don't pay a fee keep them for work use (including training and ODE). Just like many people who have company cars have to pay something for non-work use. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
        I've also heard through the grapevine that another smaller agency said that if IMPD loses take-home cars, they will as well.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]8395[/ATTACH]
        Which agency?

Comment

People are morons. They don't realize this won't save ****, instead it's going to just make the wear and tear on the vehicles being run 24/7 go through the roof.

Comment

In the end cutting take home cars will cost more money...as stated by Brutus, pool cars are run 24/7 and they take a beating. Pool cars normally last 4-5 years before a department replaces them. Officers take care of take-home cars, pool cars aren't treated the same way. Regardless of whether or not the pool cars are taken care of, they still will have much more upkeep costs as they are run almost constantly 24 hours a day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus08 View Post
              People are morons. They don't realize this won't save ****, instead it's going to just make the wear and tear on the vehicles being run 24/7 go through the roof.
              Exactly. The ones with the purse strings really don't have a clue. They just like to look at what it is going to cost NOW, not down the road. With my agency, for example, our county council pretty much refuses to listen to us. We are small with only seven vehicles. Our last vehicle purchase was December 2008. Our mileage avg is around 135,000 and the cost associated with repairing our older vehicles is ridiculous. Two of the seven have absolutely no business being in service and if I were assigned one of them, I'd refuse to drive it....

Comment

I wonder how many IMPD officers will move out of Marion County if they take the cars away.

Comment

I don't know how it works in Indiana, but where I am, officers usually had to give something up contract negotiations in order to get take home cars. In other words, they agreed to forgo a pay raise or give up something of value in return for getting take home cars, which in and of themselves are something of value. It is a general principle that if you have to give up take home cars, the employer has to restore what you gave up to get them.

Did you guys give up anything in contract negotiations in order to get take home cars? If so, is anything being restored in order to compensate you for the loss of take home cars?
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Guys, the OP didn't say take homes were being taken away, it was stated they would be parked at home when not on duty. Officers will still take care of their rides. Get off the 24/7 argument here.
                    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus08 View Post
                      What departments should do is issue each officer their own car, but do what Columbia City is doing if the savings are really that great. While some officers don't drive them off-duty, others drive those cars as their own personal vehicles. I work at a department with no take-home cars, no vehicles assigned to just one officer, or maybe two at the most. When the vehicles are all new, they aren't driven 24/7, but it is close. As soon as they hit that 50K-60K mark, they start breaking down, which means there is more likely a chance the working cars are driven 24/7 for a couple days, and in some cases many days. The problems only grow worse the more miles that are put on the vehicles. The best way to maintain a fleet is to all the officer their own vehicle. Even if they can't take it home, the maintenance and upkeep then gets put on that individual officer. Taking them home really isn't that much more in cost, maybe $50/week for gas? As such, ask officers to pay for their to-and-from work gas. The liability that is removed from the officer more than makes up for that cost. I would love to have a take-home car, even through I would end up paying about $10-$20 more per week in fuel cost (4-cyl. vs V6 or V8). The upkeep costs and insurance cost/liability still make it a win-win for the officer.

Originally posted by IndySoldier1983 View Post
                      I wonder how many IMPD officers will move out of Marion County if they take the cars away.
                      I've heard rumors of "many." However, even though IMPD officers make decent money, most live just like everyone else, paycheck to paycheck. Given the current housing market, I'm not sure how many could actually sell their home, and then sell it for what they need to payoff their current mortgage. If anything, now would be the time to pull off-duty use, as this fleeing the county would likely be a non-issue.

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
                      Regardless of the OP, there is a very strong movement amongst civilians to take them away.
                      That is mostly because most civilians don't make $58,000 a year, don't get a pension, and don't get a take-home, limited or unlimited use, company car. They no longer see the job as "different" or "special," and now that wages have went up over the last two decades, the general public is going to see things differently. I think it was a different mindset decades ago when one could walk into a union factory shop and make anywhere from $50K+, and that is back in 60s/70s/80s dollars.

Comment

Well I am mad at Airline pilots that they get to fly around the world for free. They should loose that benefit because we all pay for it right? It makes our air flight costs go up. Doesn't matter I decided not to become an airline pilot when I became an adult. I don't like someone getting something I don't. Makes a lot of sense huh? Not at all!
                        I don't get to be mad a boat captain because they spend all day on the water.
                        I choose to become a police officer on purpose. I weighed the benefits and risks. I could have just as easily become a lawyer or a stock broker or some other wealth profession. I saw that i had a serious risk of getting injured maybe perminantly in this career field. I knew up front I wouldn't make a lot of money. I knew there was a small pension. I knew i would get to use a worn out marked police car off duty as a small perk. I didn't realize how often I would be waved down off duty because of that police car. Or how many times I would be required to act because of being off duty in that same police vehicle. But that is part of it too.
                        Now police departments hire law abiding candidates all the time. I am sorry you made bad choices in your youth and have a criminal record and can't be a police officer. I don't understand that you being mad at me and wanting to take away my pension or takehome car because your manager job at Radio Shack doesn't have them. Quit. I worked very hard to become a police officer. I could even stretch and say I EARNED it.
                        Those cars are a nice benefit. I am sure most officers would agree to contribute toward the cost. I believe most agree we should during hard financial times like these.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
                          I could even stretch and say I EARNED it.
                          Not a stretch IMO, you guys did earn it. But of course, the general public knows how to do your job better than you do, right?

Comment

Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
                            I choose to become a police officer on purpose. I weighed the benefits and risks. I could have just as easily become a lawyer or a stock broker or some other wealth profession. I knew up front I wouldn't make a lot of money.
                            The taxpayers will have this to say to you if things change midstream: Quit. Same advice you gave the Radio Shack manager, they will give it right back. I don't know what you consider "a lot of money," but $50K-$60K/year is a pretty decent wage for the Indy area, especially since all the union manufacturing jobs have been sent out of the country. I know an IMPD officer who cleared $90K on his W-2. Lots of over-time. He likely isn't the only one, and I'm sure there are many who easily cleared $65-$70K just on their city W-2. This doesn't even count off-duty wages.

This issue is exactly like everything else: So long as the taxpayers can get theirs, and get folks like you to do the job, they could careless what you get paid, what benefits you get so long as their lifestyle is the same or better. Once their lifestyle starts being reduced by either reduced wages and/or excessive taxation, that is when the populace will get upset to what they see as "obscene" benefits.

Comment

Sheriff Layton said it best, pulling the take home cars or limiting their use is only going to save a few thousand dollars for either department. There's bigger problems on both sides then take home cars. I'm all for IMPD officers keeping full use of take home cars, even off duty driving. We saw what it could be like for vehicles if take homes are taken away when MCSO pulled the wagons as take homes and ran them 24/7. Maintenance went up big time for each vehicle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12592 users online. 420 members and 12172 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X