300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Basic Questions

Can you all give me the run down on what Pre-Basic Consists of or point me in the right direction on how to get the info?

Post here, PM or send it to my email would be great. (PM me to get my email)

I would appreciate any help and info you can give me on this. I am a Michigan transplant and I am trying to figure out this Pre-Basic vs Basic vs Acadamy etc etc. Back home there was only the Acadamy and thats it.

Thanks Guys,

Half
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

A better way to describe what you are talking about would be "training sessions." In Indiana, there is a basic academy, or training session, that a full-time, sworn LEO must go through to be certified as an LEO. The state mandates what training must be done in this session. There are a few academies around the state, and larger police departments may run their own. All these academies have a minimum in what they teach, based on state guidelines. Some academies will teach more, and thus may run weeks longer than others.

Pre-basic is a bare bones training session designed to teach minimal topics, and last I knew, included firearm qualification. I'm not sure what/who started pre-basic, but it seems to have become required for some entry level LE positions (reserve, special deputy, etc.). Not sure if the state requires pre-basic or not. Last I heard of a pre-basic academy, it was nothing more than a 40-50ish hour week long training session.

Comment

Clear - thanks for the information....

My department is looking to send me to Pre-Basic and I am just trying to get a heads up. Back home there was only on type of Acadamy that you were required to attend and it was the "full ride" so to speak...

For what I do at my department, Pre-Basic will be a sufficient to get me what I need and then I can go from there if need be in the future......

Anyone else have anything to add - please feel free to chime in.....
      There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

Comment

In my situation I hired on in september and will not go to the academy until january. For me to have arresting powers I had to complete the pre-basic course. It should take about 5-6 8 hour days to complete everything. That is firearms training, DT and basic criminal and traffic law. If you were to be hired right before you go to the academy then the pre-basic course wouldn't be necessary because you will learn everything in the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by trp81 View Post
          In my situation I hired on in september and will not go to the academy until january. For me to have arresting powers I had to complete the pre-basic course. It should take about 5-6 8 hour days to complete everything. That is firearms training, DT and basic criminal and traffic law. If you were to be hired right before you go to the academy then the pre-basic course wouldn't be necessary because you will learn everything in the academy.
          Excellent - I appreciate this info as well. Thats exactly what I was looking for. So thats the basic run down of what the pre-basic consists of then? Firearms, DT and Basic Criminal Law?

Just want to make sure I have and am ready for what I will need to do in the class as far as prep and gear that I will need...

My situation is a bit different than most here so I am trying to get ahead of the game as much as possible....

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
            Many smaller or rural departments will hire you, then send you for Pre-Basic and allow you to work the road (usually with another Officer) until you go for the Basic ILEA course. If I'm not mistaken the material is available on line to study/review.LD
            The Pre-Basic Course is the barebones allowable amount of training you must have, per ILETB, to work as a police officer in Indiana. Once you have the Pre-Basic, departments can allow you to work the street for a year with no further training, until they are required to send you to some kind of additional academy. This might be the Town Marsha's Course, the Basic academy, or a Special Deputy Academy.

As Lawdawg said, many smaller departments take full advantage of this. My last department hired me with Pre-Basic, and I went through my entire FTO program, and worked about a month solo before going to ILEA. Some departments have been known to hire Pre-Basic certed officers, let them work the entire year, and then hire another Pre-Basic certed officer, to keep from having to pay an officer while they are away for 3 months...

Most larger departments won't let you see the street until you have completed a full academy. IMPD, ISP, and Ft Wayne all run their own full academies which are much longer than the Basic Course at ILEA but give essentially the same cert. None of them recognize the ILEA cert, so even as an ILEA grad of the Basic Course, you'd need to attend the in-house academy at those departments before they would allow you to work.

Yes, Indiana is goofy

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
              If I'm not mistaken the material is available on line to study/review.LD
              Any idea where to find this at.... I have searched but I am coming up MT handed......

I know that as of Jan 2011 it is no longer available to study on-line. Just didn't know if anyone had a different route or source....
              Last edited by halfacop; 11-19-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
                The Pre-Basic Course is the barebones allowable amount of training you must have, per ILETB, to work as a police officer in Indiana. Once you have the Pre-Basic, departments can allow you to work the street for a year with no further training, until they are required to send you to some kind of additional academy. This might be the Town Marsha's Course, the Basic academy, or a Special Deputy Academy.

As Lawdawg said, many smaller departments take full advantage of this. My last department hired me with Pre-Basic, and I went through my entire FTO program, and worked about a month solo before going to ILEA. Some departments have been known to hire Pre-Basic certed officers, let them work the entire year, and then hire another Pre-Basic certed officer, to keep from having to pay an officer while they are away for 3 months...

Most larger departments won't let you see the street until you have completed a full academy. IMPD, ISP, and Ft Wayne all run their own full academies which are much longer than the Basic Course at ILEA but give essentially the same cert. None of them recognize the ILEA cert, so even as an ILEA grad of the Basic Course, you'd need to attend the in-house academy at those departments before they would allow you to work.

Yes, Indiana is goofy
                IMPD recognizes the ILEA cert for a few hundred of its officers

Also, there was a girl from Ft. Wayne in my academy class, she was not required to attend their academy after ILEA. That was, I hear, an exception to the rule.
                Originally posted by K40
                To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                  IMPD recognizes the ILEA cert for a few hundred of its officers

Also, there was a girl from Ft. Wayne in my academy class, she was not required to attend their academy after ILEA. That was, I hear, an exception to the rule.
                  True, but that was a one-time deal, at the merge. My statement should have read, "for new hires."

Comment

True, but that was a one-time deal, at the merge. My statement should have read, "for new hires."
                    The old IPD also had a lateral process around '95 or '96 where the ILEA-certified officers didn't have to go through the full IPD academy.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashBandicoot View Post
                      The old IPD also had a lateral process around '95 or '96 where the ILEA-certified officers didn't have to go through the full IPD academy.
                      Yep, but they still had to attend the academy for 9 weeks. Which is much different than say, switching from Carmel to Plainfield as an ILEA grad.

For all intents and purposes, for someone looking to get into LE in Indiana, my breakdown was accurate. In terms of getting hired with IMPD, people are certainly welcome to throw their app in with us, and see if they get around going to the full academy. Unless they are hired from an outside agency to run our training division, my guess is they will not be so lucky. Is it possible that we may merge with another department and waive the requirement for the officers on said department? Sure. Is it possible that we might run another lateral class? Sure. Is either likely? Nope. Should someone looking to get onto IMPD hold their breath waiting on either? No.

For every rule, there is an exception, somewhere. For guys trying to get hired, and looking for the info that will help them, arguing semantics will get them nowhere. I thought this was officer.com, not lawyer.com

Comment

I thought this was officer.com, not lawyer.com
                        At times its been known as the following:

Officer.com
                        Lawyer.com
                        *******.com
                        I'm sensitive.com

and my personal favorite....

I'm a cop and your not.com

Comment

Yep, but they still had to attend the academy for 9 weeks. Which is much different than say, switching from Carmel to Plainfield as an ILEA grad.

For all intents and purposes, for someone looking to get into LE in Indiana, my breakdown was accurate. In terms of getting hired with IMPD, people are certainly welcome to throw their app in with us, and see if they get around going to the full academy. Unless they are hired from an outside agency to run our training division, my guess is they will not be so lucky. Is it possible that we may merge with another department and waive the requirement for the officers on said department? Sure. Is it possible that we might run another lateral class? Sure. Is either likely? Nope. Should someone looking to get onto IMPD hold their breath waiting on either? No.

For every rule, there is an exception, somewhere. For guys trying to get hired, and looking for the info that will help them, arguing semantics will get them nowhere. I thought this was officer.com, not lawyer.com
                          Wasn't trying to be an adam henry about it. I just thought it was an interesting fact that a lot of younger folks on here might not have known had ever occurred.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3947 users online. 191 members and 3756 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X