Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    I wouldn't suggest picking any one department and using it only as a stepping stone. It used to be that getting ILEA certification was considered golden. What I have seen over the last few years has changed my opinion on that. More and more of the medium to larger sized departments are being strict (so they claim) with various phases of the hiring process. Consider the fitness standards that are pass or fail. Then you have more structured board interviews (usually the first interview) where your answers are scored on a scale. Then you have the written test, again another number.

You can have ILEA certification, have all sorts of extras (FTO, instructor, etc.) and it won't help you one bit if a department truly sticks to the pass/fail-scoring systems most are using. If you don't make 25 push-ups, you and your awesome resume are done. As such, don't worry so much about getting into LE just to get a better job in LE later on. There are numerous people hired at some of the better departments with zero LE background. Another thing to remember: Everything LE related is news, and the news is now stored forever on-line thanks to the internet. If you choose a bad department, where training is minimal and co-workers are iffy, you could find your name associated with something not so good in the future. Any background investigator with half a mind will Google your name in many ways, and it won't look good to see your name attached to a lawsuit where some hot head co-worker of yours went too far and you didn't do anything to stop it, or went along with it. Just something to think about.

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
    Hey Bancroft87,
    Look for a town/city size you would like to work/live in. Look (hope)for a supportive mayor/sheriff and administration. Do ride alongs and talk to officers. see if they are happy and like it. Would they recommend their son/daughter to work there? Look for the type of work you would enjoy. If you hate being outside, don't apply for a conservation officer position. If you hate kids, don't apply to IPS school police. If you don't want to relocate, don't apply to any federal job. Just some food for thought.
    straycat62,

Thanks for the advice. I would love to stay in Indianapolis. Riding with officers in the surrounding agencies would be a great start and way to get an inside scoop on the department. IPS police would be interesting. Do you think it would be a "stepping stone" for IMPD, so to speak?

Leave a comment:

• IMPDNE
    replied
    And if you want to work for a department that has an aviation unit, DO NOT APPLY TO IMPD!

Leave a comment:

• straycat62
    replied
    Originally posted by Bancroft87 View Post
    I must have messed up my reply so sorry if this is a double post:
    Yeah those things would just be perks However, having never been a police officer I guess I don't really know what to look for in a department. What qualities would attract you or other veteran police?
    Hey Bancroft87,
    Look for a town/city size you would like to work/live in. Look (hope)for a supportive mayor/sheriff and administration. Do ride alongs and talk to officers. see if they are happy and like it. Would they recommend their son/daughter to work there? Look for the type of work you would enjoy. If you hate being outside, don't apply for a conservation officer position. If you hate kids, don't apply to IPS school police. If you don't want to relocate, don't apply to any federal job. Just some food for thought.

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawdawg45
    Take it as a compliment, Dale was one of the best Paramedics I've worked with in 30 years!

LD45
    It would be an outstanding compliment and you could be hired on recognition alone!

From my perspective Kerry just as good; but they were both the best in town. I know if I were ever hit I would want either one of them working on me working me.

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
    Speaking from experience, do not pick a PD to work for just because the town it serves is beautiful or neat. Indianapolis is 50% ****hole and I am 10 times happier here than I was at BPD. You may have a different experience if you end up getting hired on there, so take my opinion however you want to.
    I must have messed up my reply so sorry if this is a double post:
    Yeah those things would just be perks However, having never been a police officer I guess I don't really know what to look for in a department. What qualities would attract you or other veteran police?

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Take it as a compliment, Dale was one of the best Paramedics I've worked with in 30 years!

LD45
    According to the article I read, yeah your pretty spot on!

Leave a comment:

• IMPDNE
    replied
    Bloomington PD would be neat. Bloomington is a really awesome town, and one of the more beautiful towns in the state.
    Speaking from experience, do not pick a PD to work for just because the town it serves is beautiful or neat. Indianapolis is 50% ****hole and I am 10 times happier here than I was at BPD. You may have a different experience if you end up getting hired on there, so take my opinion however you want to.

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Oh and a quick google search makes it pretty obvious who Dale is lol. No I am not related. Bancroft is a street I used to live on some years ago and 87 is my birthdate, perhaps not the most imaginative name

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have a friend with Columbus PD I will ask him a few questions and look into their department. Bloomington PD would be neat. Bloomington is a really awesome town, and one of the more beautiful towns in the state.

Leave a comment:

• IMPDNE
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
    You also might want to consider Columbus and Bloomington.
    I don't know anything about Columbus PD, but I worked for Bloomington PD and I would think about it as a stepping stone to a larger or better department, but no way would I spend an entire career there.

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    Any other recommendations on police agencies? I want to stay within an hour of Indianapolis but a start is a start and a lead is a lead no matter where in Indiana.
    Just get out a state map and circle Marion County and the surrounding counties. The larger the county, the richer the county, the larger the municipality...this will usually mean higher pay (but not always). Not sure of the work environment, you would need to ask specific questions about individual departments. You also might want to consider Columbus and Bloomington. While not within the surrounding county ring, those two agencies are medium size and are within about an hours drive of Indy.

Leave a comment:

• ummone
    replied
    I guess I'm too old, I was thinking of his Dad, Dale!

LD45
    I thought of Dale too but the "87" threw me...

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Originally posted by ummone View Post
    So Bankroft87....are you related to Kerry?
    Sorry, not sure who Kerry is?

Leave a comment:

• Bancroft87
    replied
    Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
    It is too early to give up on anything. Don't let one department saying "no" get you down. I didn't start with IPD until I was 27, so you'll be ok.
    Hey thanks man. I want to be a police officer. I do care, to an extent, where it will be. However, I would be happy getting on darn near anywhere right now. I am a fine dining server right now. I just work for the money, there's no passion or reward for me so it gets pretty difficult to me wondering when I will be able to get my dream underway. I know there is no way of knowing if you would make a great cop or not until you do it. That said, I feel pretty confident anyway. Every so often you just get that calling.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6924 users online. 172 members and 6752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X