300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
    Speaking from experience, do not pick a PD to work for just because the town it serves is beautiful or neat. Indianapolis is 50% ****hole and I am 10 times happier here than I was at BPD. You may have a different experience if you end up getting hired on there, so take my opinion however you want to.
    I must have messed up my reply so sorry if this is a double post:
    Yeah those things would just be perks However, having never been a police officer I guess I don't really know what to look for in a department. What qualities would attract you or other veteran police?
    “I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement”
    Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
      Take it as a compliment, Dale was one of the best Paramedics I've worked with in 30 years!

LD45
      It would be an outstanding compliment and you could be hired on recognition alone!

From my perspective Kerry just as good; but they were both the best in town. I know if I were ever hit I would want either one of them working on me working me.
      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by Bancroft87 View Post
        I must have messed up my reply so sorry if this is a double post:
        Yeah those things would just be perks However, having never been a police officer I guess I don't really know what to look for in a department. What qualities would attract you or other veteran police?
        Hey Bancroft87,
        Look for a town/city size you would like to work/live in. Look (hope)for a supportive mayor/sheriff and administration. Do ride alongs and talk to officers. see if they are happy and like it. Would they recommend their son/daughter to work there? Look for the type of work you would enjoy. If you hate being outside, don't apply for a conservation officer position. If you hate kids, don't apply to IPS school police. If you don't want to relocate, don't apply to any federal job. Just some food for thought.

Comment

And if you want to work for a department that has an aviation unit, DO NOT APPLY TO IMPD!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
            Hey Bancroft87,
            Look for a town/city size you would like to work/live in. Look (hope)for a supportive mayor/sheriff and administration. Do ride alongs and talk to officers. see if they are happy and like it. Would they recommend their son/daughter to work there? Look for the type of work you would enjoy. If you hate being outside, don't apply for a conservation officer position. If you hate kids, don't apply to IPS school police. If you don't want to relocate, don't apply to any federal job. Just some food for thought.
            straycat62,

Thanks for the advice. I would love to stay in Indianapolis. Riding with officers in the surrounding agencies would be a great start and way to get an inside scoop on the department. IPS police would be interesting. Do you think it would be a "stepping stone" for IMPD, so to speak?
            “I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement”
            Calvin Coolidge

Comment

I wouldn't suggest picking any one department and using it only as a stepping stone. It used to be that getting ILEA certification was considered golden. What I have seen over the last few years has changed my opinion on that. More and more of the medium to larger sized departments are being strict (so they claim) with various phases of the hiring process. Consider the fitness standards that are pass or fail. Then you have more structured board interviews (usually the first interview) where your answers are scored on a scale. Then you have the written test, again another number.

You can have ILEA certification, have all sorts of extras (FTO, instructor, etc.) and it won't help you one bit if a department truly sticks to the pass/fail-scoring systems most are using. If you don't make 25 push-ups, you and your awesome resume are done. As such, don't worry so much about getting into LE just to get a better job in LE later on. There are numerous people hired at some of the better departments with zero LE background. Another thing to remember: Everything LE related is news, and the news is now stored forever on-line thanks to the internet. If you choose a bad department, where training is minimal and co-workers are iffy, you could find your name associated with something not so good in the future. Any background investigator with half a mind will Google your name in many ways, and it won't look good to see your name attached to a lawsuit where some hot head co-worker of yours went too far and you didn't do anything to stop it, or went along with it. Just something to think about.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7425 users online. 220 members and 7205 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X