300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPD taking over IPS Police

Rumor has it that IMPD is taking over IPS Police Department July 1st and as of Jan 1st they will have 65+ ILEA certified police officers to boost their numbers up for the Super Bowl. Not sure if this brings them to where they needed to be for the super bowl bid but it's got to help since they are so short handed. Now before everyone starts to bash IPS Police just remeber, they do go to the full ILEA academy like every other police/sheriff in the state (with the few exceptions that have their own) and I'm sure IMPD will provide training to bring them up to IMPD standards. No one knows the details of the take over, but kinda sounds like when Public Saftey took over Park Rangers.

Hadn't heard that one yet. A few problems here though. I've heard stories from ILEA that about 1/2 of the IPS officers who have gone have not exactly been stellar. Test scores, firearms, EVO, etc. Now, did they pass? Yes But, having been to ILEA and knowing they may have just barely passed doesn't boost my confidence in having some back me up. Another issue is, what happens if an IPS officer doesn't pass FTO? I don't have as big of an issue with IPS coming over, but the officers shouldn't be given a free pass either through FTO. Then, who gets assigned to working IPS? Is that a permanent assignment or can the IMPD guys working IPS eventually transfer out? Is this just a numbers thing to boost IMPD's numbers and nothing operationally will change?

Comment

Originally posted by MetroOff519 View Post
      Then, who gets assigned to working IPS? Is that a permanent assignment or can the IMPD guys working IPS eventually transfer out? Is this just a numbers thing to boost IMPD's numbers and nothing operationally will change?
      Remember, the state is taking over Arlington, Howe, Manual, Broad Ripple, Northwest, George Washington and Emma Donna Middle School. The take over can be anything from oversight, to a full scale firing and re-hiring.

So my guess is that this is a way to get more cops with at least some initial training on the street. There is going to be some IPS police who won't be able to handle the type of police work IMPD does? This could be 10% of the current department tor 80%, who knows.
      Last edited by Dwntwn317; 01-11-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroOff519 View Post
        I've heard stories from ILEA that about 1/2 of the IPS officers who have gone have not exactly been stellar. Test scores, firearms, EVO, etc. Now, did they pass? Yes But, having been to ILEA and knowing they may have just barely passed doesn't boost my confidence in having some back me up.
        Third comment in and the IPSPD bashing has begun. If you are IMPD but you went to ILEA, logic says you are a former MCSD guy. You went through the same basic academy as the IPSPD guys but because of the patch on your shoulder you are assumed to be a better more qualified officer. We all know that every department has their dirt bags and that includeds IMPD/IPD/MCSD. I'm sure that there are IMPD officers that an IPSPD guy wouldn't want to back them up on a good day. Not every officer on your department was top of their class and plenty of IPSPD officers were at the top of theirs. There is no legitimate reason for anyone to look down their nose at another officer just because of the patch on their shoulder.

I'm sure the IPSPD guys will do well given the opportunity and I wish them all the best.

Comment

I couldn't imagine this is anywhere near true if only for the fact that Dr. White would not a) want to give up control of "his" police department or b) have IMPD officers performing full police duties in "his" schools.

Comment

Let me restate something, no one knows to what aspect IPSPD will be intergrated. It will likely be like Park Rangers, under Public Safety but counting on IMPD #'s. Now there is some IPS officers that wouldn't last 2 sec on the street and that is something Public Safety will have to address. An FTO will be a must if there is anykind of "transfers" from IPS to IMPD road units. There are some IPS patrol units and I'm sure they will remain as IPSPD patrol cause with the number of stupid alarm runs they get a night it would overwhelm IMPD who is already short handed.

Threefive, thank you for the support, I graduated with guys from other counties and city departments that shouldn't have even been there, and I do know there are some in my dept that I don't trust to have my back.

CrashBandicoot, it turns out that this was all Dr. White's doing, behind the Police Departments back! He gives up paying for the Department cuting money from IPS budget and he already has police officers performing full police duties in his schools! He dosen't like the "liability" issues that come up, so now he can pass the blame on to an "outside" agency for any issues that arise.

Like I said before, no one knows the details or the entire scope of what this means or how it will work, I'm sure its been discussed and planed by people making a whole lot more money than any of us. IPD and MCSD had a tough time with their merge because of different pay/benefits from each department (IPD officers made less than a County Deputy) now IMPD all make the same amount. Just wait on your bashing a little while till all the facts come out, and remember that IPSPD officers didn't push for this, it's being done to them, some officers want only to work in schools cause that's were their love for this job is (helping and dealing with kids) not everyone can do this is an inner-city enviroment, just like not everyone can run a beat in a inner-city neighborhood. IPSPD officers utilize different skills as a police officer that other officers on the street don't have, it's not saying they are better just different. It's takes all kinds to make an effective department in a city like Indianapolis.

Comment

I am calling shenanigans on this one. Sounds like one of many rumors that gets stirred up.

Comment

Sources have confirmed but are witholding all details. Don't know why all the secrecy but the takeover is apparently happening.
                Last edited by threefive; 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

It would be my assumption, and perhaps i'm wrong, that this "merger" would be done similarly to what ISP did with Capital Police. The IPS officers would remain in the schools and not be assigned to regular patrol, and the IMPD officers wouldn't have to worry about being assigned to the schools.
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by IPSPD13 View Post
                    Let me restate something, no one knows to what aspect IPSPD will be intergrated. It will likely be like Park Rangers, under Public Safety but counting on IMPD #'s.
                    If there is any truth at all to this, I would imagine it will be something like this. Since the PSD has the authority to appoint special patrolmen for the schools, this would make the most sense.

He gives up paying for the Department cuting money from IPS budget and he already has police officers performing full police duties in his schools! He dosen't like the "liability" issues that come up, so now he can pass the blame on to an "outside" agency for any issues that arise.
                    I realize IPSPD officers are fully sworn, attend ILEA, etc., but I don't think many IMPD officers would tolerance for things like restorative justice, etc. The liability issue wouldn't really change.

Comment

Seems to me that any integration with with IMPD will be positive for the officers of IPSPD.
                      Crash, I don't think many IPSPD officers have a lot of tolerance for restorative justice either.

Comment

From my limited prospective - this seems to be a positive merger..... So without high jacking the thread - Can IMPD please get on with it and then start a hostile take over of ACCD....PLEASE!

There would be no negative impact on this department and it would prolly solve just about every problem we have...LOL

Back to your regular scheduled programing..........
                        There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by threefive View Post
                          Third comment in and the IPSPD bashing has begun. If you are IMPD but you went to ILEA, logic says you are a former MCSD guy. You went through the same basic academy as the IPSPD guys but because of the patch on your shoulder you are assumed to be a better more qualified officer. We all know that every department has their dirt bags and that includeds IMPD/IPD/MCSD. I'm sure that there are IMPD officers that an IPSPD guy wouldn't want to back them up on a good day. Not every officer on your department was top of their class and plenty of IPSPD officers were at the top of theirs. There is no legitimate reason for anyone to look down their nose at another officer just because of the patch on their shoulder.

I'm sure the IPSPD guys will do well given the opportunity and I wish them all the best.
                          Well, I'm not bashing IPS guys at all, so there you go reading too much into it. How do you know I'm not former IPD who goes out to instruct at ILEA? If it happens, I too wish the guys luck and hope they get every opportunity to succeed, but unfortunately the reality is, probably not everyone on IPS will make it onto IMPD.
                          You are also right there are officers on every department throughout every state that we wouldn't want backing us up, but they make it on somehow.

Comment

If this is true, I am sure it will be just like the Rangers. They will answer to us but are a separate entity.

Comment

Sorry if I misread what you were trying to say. I just get irritated when I hear officers stereotying an entire police agency based on some flimsy information. SCP, IUPUI PD, and IPSPD are a few of the agencies that I don't think get the respect they deserve more often than not. Also, your post implied that you attended ILEA, not instructed there. I don't know your background. I could have taken it incorrectly. No offense intended.

In regards to the takeover being just like the Park Rangers, there should be differences. IPSPD is a statutory sworn department whose officers are all ILEA certified whereas the Rangers weren't.

It's all speculation anyway. There's only a small group of people who know what the plans are for the IPSPD guys and somehow I don't think they are on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5905 users online. 337 members and 5568 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X