Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all non-IMPD officers re: gun permits

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question for all non-IMPD officers re: gun permits

    For all officers that don't work for IMPD. When you run a plate or a DL, does either response let you know if the person you are running has a gun permit? I have been told that for Warsaw PD and ISP it does, but I need confirmation.

  • #2
    Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
    For all officers that don't work for IMPD. When you run a plate or a DL, does either response let you know if the person you are running has a gun permit? I have been told that for Warsaw PD and ISP it does, but I need confirmation.
    I.....think it does.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

    * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

    * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by towncop View Post
      I.....think it does.
      Is there any way you can confirm that for me?

      Comment


      • #4
        Disregard.....

        I run the same system as IMPD. My bad.
        There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

        If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
          Is there any way you can confirm that for me?
          I can't right now. I'll text my buddy who's on now and ask him to watch for it tonight as he runs info. Anything comes up, I'll post it for you. What's up? PM if needed.
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

          * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

          * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by towncop View Post
            I can't right now. I'll text my buddy who's on now and ask him to watch for it tonight as he runs info. Anything comes up, I'll post it for you. What's up? PM if needed.
            Nothing special, just a debate with anti-cop gun owners who think that we know who does and doesn't have gun permits just by running their plate or dl. I am trying to figure out who in Indiana has that capability, because IMPD sure doesn't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Some departments have NCIC/IDACS integrated into their CAD system. Those departments probably have the capability to see a person being ran has applied for, or has a gun permit applied for with their or another local department. I know some states have a gun permit field on driver’s license returns. This would be nice, there is definitely no state standard as of yet for Indiana.

              Comment


              • #8
                Nothing comes up for us. There might be an agency specific screen that pops up when a person runs a name that shows whether or not a gun permit has been applied for, but it's certainly not integrated into NCIC or iDACS. I would imagine that the state police, since they're the repository for gun permits, is able to search them.

                There's simply no way that Warsaw PD has access to it and other agencies, especially larger and more well funded ones do not. Again, Warsaw probably shows people who have APPLIED through their agency, which is a feature i'm sure many agencies have.
                Originally posted by K40
                To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm not a police officer, but wouldn't you be more weary of someone who doesn't have a gun permit. Most, ..... I say again, Most people with a gun permit are squared away. They respect the law and have taken time to do the proper steps on acquiring a permit. Be aware of those who don't have one.
                  UH-60 Blackhawk Pilot
                  Land of the free, because of the brave!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HawkPilot View Post
                    I'm not a police officer, but wouldn't you be more weary of someone who doesn't have a gun permit. Most, ..... I say again, Most people with a gun permit are squared away. They respect the law and have taken time to do the proper steps on acquiring a permit. Be aware of those who don't have one.
                    Thats not the point of my question. I'm trying to prove that most agencies in Indiana don't receive gun permit status when they run someone's plate or drivers license.

                    And since you brought it up, I would hardly say that most permit holders "respect" the law. They may follow the law, but that doesn't mean they respect it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ISP can't see that info...at least when they run plates and/or DL on their in-car computers. But they can run it through their dispatch and request dispatch to check if the subject has a carry permit and whether it's valid.
                      I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

                      "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
                      it" - Thucydides

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sp23 View Post
                        ISP can't see that info...at least when they run plates and/or DL on their in-car computers. But they can run it through their dispatch and request dispatch to check if the subject has a carry permit and whether it's valid.
                        Same with IMPD.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HawkPilot View Post
                          I'm not a police officer, but wouldn't you be more weary of someone who doesn't have a gun permit. Most, ..... I say again, Most people with a gun permit are squared away. They respect the law and have taken time to do the proper steps on acquiring a permit. Be aware of those who don't have one.
                          You need to reread IMPDNE's post. Your reply is completely irrelevant.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                            I am trying to figure out who in Indiana has that capability, because IMPD sure doesn't.
                            Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                            There's simply no way that Warsaw PD has access to it and other agencies, especially larger and more well funded ones do not. Again, Warsaw probably shows people who have APPLIED through their agency, which is a feature i'm sure many agencies have.
                            Anything is possible. All it takes is for someone to program a bridge program with whatever CAD program is being. Prior to the switch from the old IDACS/NCIC state system, anyone using MECA cad (a/k/a Zclient) could run a handgun license. I can't recall what screen it was...the same one that is used to pull up your subpoenas I think. The rumor I heard was that it was an IPD officer who actually programmed that bridge program back then. One officer I know was going to get a hold of this officer (this was about four or five years ago) and see if there were any plans to program a new bridge program for the new computer system. That was the last I ever heard about this issue. So it is possible that a computer savvy officer in Warsaw got the correct authorizations and developed a bridge program for their department.

                            The problem with the original question is that officers/troopers may say things in one way, but that isn't exactly what is going on. For example, if officers are allowed to have the primary program used by the state to access NCIC/IDACS/NLETS, then they could always run handgun licenses as well as license plates, etc.. So if an officer says "Well, when I run your stuff, I see if you have a valid handgun license." could be taken by some non-LEOs as "So when they run my BMV info, that stuff is contained in that file." It isn't. What the trooper/officer didn't specify was that their comment on "run your stuff" means they go into the BMV license screen and enter info. They then pull up the screen for handgun license and re-enter the ID data there as well. They then wait for their responses from two different servers. The only way to automatically get a handgun license return from running a query in the BMV database would be to have some sort of bridge program running in the background.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6322 users online. 361 members and 5961 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X