300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPD officer charged with robbery, official misconduct

INDIANAPOLIS - A Metro Police officer faces charges of robbery and official misconduct.

A 23-year Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department veteran was arrested today on charges he robbed motorists after pulling them over. Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry announced the charges against David Butler Friday.

An IMPD release said Officer David Butler threatened arrest and stole money after stopping vehicles on the Northwestside for minor traffic violations.

The robberies occurred while Butler was on duty, in uniform and driving a marked police car, the release said.

Butler is charged with two counts each of robbery and official misconduct, both felonies.

Butler’s arrest came after three-month investigation by IMPD’s professional standard division, the release said.

Butler is accused of conducting traffic stops on the northwest side on two separate occasions where drivers discovered money stolen from their wallets following the stop. Both victims reported the thefts to IMPD.

David Butler was taken into custody by IMPD Friday. His case will be heard in Criminal Court 1.

Following is a statement from Mayor Greg Ballard on the arrest of IMPD Officer David Butler:

"Today's arrest of IMPD police officer David Butler demonstrates my administration's commitment to hold accountable any officer whose conduct tarnishes the police department's badge and disregards the oath they took to protect the Indianapolis community. The alleged actions of this individual officer do not diminish the outstanding police work being done by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department or its commitment to protecting our City with dignity, integrity and respect."
    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
    Both alleged victims were Hispanic with very large sums of cash in their wallet, can you say "illegal", oh wait, we're not allowed to ask or say that. What was I thinking?

P.S. Mayor Ballard, didn't you learn from the Jerry Piland case to keep your mouth shut until all the facts are out?

LD45
    Just because the alleged victims are allegedly illegal, it doesn't make it right.

Comment

Another black eye for everybody wearing a badge trying to do the right thing out There. This is getting out of hand....

Comment

This type of thing has occurred a few times in Los Angeles, and probably in many other cities. Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          This type of thing has occurred a few times in Los Angeles, and probably in many other cities. Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police.
          Wow, if I'd never heard a bigoted statement, then that just ended after reading this. First off, if you read the article it said nothing about the victims voluntarily giving up money to the police, which is generally what bribes are. These individuals were allegedly robbed, which is the use of force or fear to obtain something of value from an individual. Second, you shouldn't make generalizations about a particular race or ethnicity. Just because you've heard several stories about "Mexicans" paying bribes to the police does not indicate that all "Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police." Also, you should probably do some research on the definitions of Hispanic. All the articles published that I read on this issue said nothing about Mexicans. Hispanic is an ethnic group that includes several different races and nationalities from around the world. It sounds very ignorant to assume that when someone says "Hispanic" they're referring to Mexicans.

Lets talk about the actions and stay off the ethnicity of these victims.

Comment

Originally posted by djblack23 View Post
            Wow, if I'd never heard a bigoted statement, then that just ended after reading this. First off, if you read the article it said nothing about the victims voluntarily giving up money to the police, which is generally what bribes are. These individuals were allegedly robbed, which is the use of force or fear to obtain something of value from an individual. Second, you shouldn't make generalizations about a particular race or ethnicity. Just because you've heard several stories about "Mexicans" paying bribes to the police does not indicate that all "Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police." Also, you should probably do some research on the definitions of Hispanic. All the articles published that I read on this issue said nothing about Mexicans. Hispanic is an ethnic group that includes several different races and nationalities from around the world. It sounds very ignorant to assume that when someone says "Hispanic" they're referring to Mexicans.

So youre saying cops in Mexico don't readily take bribes?
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
              So youre saying cops in Mexico don't readily take bribes?
              +10000

Comment

Wow, I've never heard such a moronic response. First of all, bozo, press reports and allegations are not always accurate. Second, that Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police is pertinent to why they are selected as victims. They are less likely to protest, and are not likely to report this type of incident.

And, having been to Mexico several times, I KNOW that Mexican police request money from motorists and are given the money. A motor officer told me so. When a fellow officer went to our sister city and rode with a Mexican officer, the Mexican officer made a traffic stop and asked for a bribe for our officer. I got stopped and asked for money, and a Mexican officer told me that he had to get money from motorists to pay off his captain and keep his job. There is nothing bigoted about stating the facts.

When the police request money, you could call it extortion or robbery as well as bribery, because there is a threat to take the victim to jail (or perhaps something more serious).

For your information "Hispanic" is NOT an ethnic group. Hispanic is a fabrication of the census and can cover everything from Europeans to South American Indians with some Iberian ancestry. Lumping them all together is ridiculous. The preferred term is Latino, not Hispanic.

I belong to the Latino Peace Officers Association. When I made a trip to take used equipment to the police in our sister city, customs agents at the airport asked for some bullet-resistant vests. It was not a rude request, but they knew that the equipment was intended for the local PD, and I felt that I had to give some to customs.

There is absolutely nothing bigoted about what I said. It simply reflects reality. You have a lot of growing up to do. Pretending that something does not happen does not make it go away. Do you deny that Mexicans frequently bribe the police? You should study up on "la mordida" ("the bite") an unfortunate practice throughout much of Latin America. See http://www.mexicomatters.net/retirem...dainmexico.php

Most "Hispanics" in the US are Mexicans. I am sure that the prosecutor was not referring to a Spaniard from Madrid.

I'll talk about what I think is relevant. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
                Last edited by DAL; 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  Wow, I've never heard such a moronic response. First of all, bozo, press reports and allegations are not always accurate. Second, that Mexicans are accustomed to paying bribes to the police is pertinent to why they are selected as victims. They are less likely to protest, and are not likely to report this type of incident.

And, having been to Mexico several times, I KNOW that Mexican police request money from motorists and are given the money. A motor officer told me so. When a fellow officer went to our sister city and rode with a Mexican officer, the Mexican officer made a traffic stop and asked for a bribe for our officer. I got stopped and asked for money, and a Mexican officer told me that he had to get money from motorists to pay off his captain and keep his job. There is nothing bigoted about stating the facts.

When the police request money, you could call it extortion or robbery as well as bribery, because there is a threat to take the victim to jail (or perhaps something more serious).

For your information "Hispanic" is NOT an ethnic group. Hispanic is a fabrication of the census and can cover everything from Europeans to South American Indians with some Iberian ancestry. Lumping them all together is ridiculous. The preferred term is Latino, not Hispanic.

I belong to the Latino Peace Officers Association. When I made a trip to take used equipment to the police in our sister city, customs agents at the airport asked for some bullet-resistant vests. It was not a rude request, but they knew that the equipment was intended for the local PD, and I felt that I had to give some to customs.

There is absolutely nothing bigoted about what I said. It simply reflects reality. You have a lot of growing up to do. Pretending that something does not happen does not make it go away. Do you deny that Mexicans frequently bribe the police? You should study up on "la mordida" ("the bite") an unfortunate practice throughout much of Latin America. See http://www.mexicomatters.net/retirem...dainmexico.php

Most "Hispanics" in the US are Mexicans. I am sure that the prosecutor was not referring to a Spaniard from Madrid.

I'll talk about what I think is relevant. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

This whole response is full of hypotheticals. Again, bribes in Mexico have nothing to do with this situation. For instance, if a white American (with German ancestry) was involved in this situation, it would be illogical for me to state " Germans in Germany are use to paying bribes the police." Most people in this country have never been nor have ties back to their ancestry's country. To assume that all Mexicans in America have direct ties back to Mexico is an ill-informed assumption. There are a substantial amount of Mexican Americans in this country who have never stepped foot in Mexico. Trust me, I know that first hand. Therefore, all the references that you are making to the Mexican police are hypothetical and really have no direct relation to the articles.

Next, it is not accurate to suggest that Hispanic is not an ethnic group. From a basic standpoint, an ethnic group is any group that shares a distinct or common culture. In the case of Hispanics, obviously the Spanish language is something that they share in common. I do agree with you that the term "Hispanic" was created mostly for census purposes and Latino is the preferred term. This doesn't eliminate the fact that it is an ethnic group, at least within American culture. If it's not an ethnic group, then what is it?

Again, I still do not understand why you keep making references back to Mexico. I understand your point about corruption amongst the Mexican police and how it might affect this situation, but that is extremely hypothetical. As I stated previously, we do not know if these victims were Mexican. I understand that most Latino's in the US are Mexican (which is not true in various parts of the country), but there is a good chance that these victims were not.

I'm not trying to pretend that Mexican police corruption doesn't occur. I'm trying state that it’s irrelevant and you know it. Don't try to make yourself sound more credible, with the reference to the Latino officer association. I suggest you start talking about the power of stereotypes at your association, because that's exactly what you presented through your statements. As I stated previously, you should not make generalizations about a race or ethnic group. It is very hurtful to associate someone with a negative action, just because it may be common in an area that they (or their ancestors) originated from. I would hope that you had learned that by now.

Comment

The investigation into Butler began in January when Emiliano Vasquez contacted IMPD, according to a probable cause affidavit filed Friday in Marion Superior Court.

Prosecutors say Butler stole $700 from Vasquez's wallet during a traffic stop about 4:40 p.m. Jan. 12 at the Marathon gas station, 5502 W. 34th St.

Butler stopped Vasquez's Ford Ranger at the gas pumps and told him to leave his wallet and cellphone on the seat and walk to the back of the vehicle. Butler searched the truck, then told Vasquez he "could have arrested him but he would not unless he saw him driving again," according to the documents.

Butler drove away in his squad car with the lights activated. Vasquez filled his tank and noticed the missing money when he went inside the station to pay.

Butler did not report the traffic stop to dispatchers and did not run Vasquez's identification to check for arrest warrants -- standard procedure for a traffic stop -- but the incident was captured by a surveillance video system, prosecutors said.

Vasquez called police, and other officers investigated and recovered the video.

Prosecutors say Butler used a similar pattern to steal $2,000 from Andres Salazar during a traffic stop Sept. 27 in the 3400 block of High School Road. Butler did not report the stop, prosecutors say. Two other officers reported it after they spotted Butler's vehicle and pulled over to assist.

Neither victim was able to pick Butler out of a lineup, prosecutors said.

In an interview with detectives April 6, Butler initially denied making the Jan. 13 stop, but later admitted it and said he lied because he did not want to be accused of stealing the money and feared being disciplined, according to court documents.

Miriam Acevedo Davis, executive director of La Plaza, an Indianapolis nonprofit that helps Hispanics with education and health services, said some in that community fear police and might be regarded as easy victims.
                    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

This whole response is full of hypotheticals. Again, bribes in Mexico have nothing to do with this situation. For instance, if a white American (with German ancestry) was involved in this situation, it would be illogical for me to state " Germans in Germany are use to paying bribes the police." Most people in this country have never been nor have ties back to their ancestry's country. To assume that all Mexicans in America have direct ties back to Mexico is an ill-informed assumption. There are a substantial amount of Mexican Americans in this country who have never stepped foot in Mexico. Trust me, I know that first hand. Therefore, all the references that you are making to the Mexican police are hypothetical and really have no direct relation to the articles.

Next, it is not accurate to suggest that Hispanic is not an ethnic group. From a basic standpoint, an ethnic group is any group that shares a distinct or common culture. In the case of Hispanics, obviously the Spanish language is something that they share in common. I do agree with you that the term "Hispanic" was created mostly for census purposes and Latino is the preferred term. This doesn't eliminate the fact that it is an ethnic group, at least within American culture. If it's not an ethnic group, then what is it?

Again, I still do not understand why you keep making references back to Mexico. I understand your point about corruption amongst the Mexican police and how it might affect this situation, but that is extremely hypothetical. As I stated previously, we do not know if these victims were Mexican. I understand that most Latino's in the US are Mexican (which is not true in various parts of the country), but there is a good chance that these victims were not.

I'm not trying to pretend that Mexican police corruption doesn't occur. I'm trying state that it’s irrelevant and you know it. Don't try to make yourself sound more credible, with the reference to the Latino officer association. I suggest you start talking about the power of stereotypes at your association, because that's exactly what you presented through your statements. As I stated previously, you should not make generalizations about a race or ethnic group. It is very hurtful to associate someone with a negative action, just because it may be common in an area that they (or their ancestors) originated from. I would hope that you had learned that by now.
                      Reality is reality. Saying that paying bribes to police is common in Mexico is simply the truth, something you have to come to grips with.

There is nothing bigoted about calling a Mexican a Mexican. Amazingly enough, Mexicans in the U.S. call themselves Mexicans, and they hold festivals to celebrate their Mexican heritage.

It is ridiculous to say that Spaniards, for example, are part of the same ethnic group as Mexicans or Brazilians. Each group has its own probems. It would be like lumping together all white people, and saying that Armenians are the same ethnic group as Turks or Swedes.

What did I say about the victims that was hurtful to them? Grow up.
                      Last edited by DAL; 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Reality is reality. Saying that paying bribes to police is common in Mexico is simply the truth, something you have to come to grips with. If you don't like it, that is too bad, but you won't make Mexico's problems go away by pretending they do not exist. Mexicans come to this country because their own country has so many problems.

There is nothing bigoted or offensive about calling a Mexican a Mexican. Amazingly enough, Mexicans in the U.S. call themselves Mexicans, and they hold festivals to celebrate their Mexican heritage. I really don't care what you suggest. There is no reason why I should alter my behavior on the basis of your inane remarks. Please stop giving me advice; I don't respect your advice.

It is ridiculous to call "Hispanics" an ethnic group. It would be like lumping together all white people, and saying that Armenians are the same ethnic group as Turks or Swedes because they are white, or Kenyans and Americans because they speak English.

I work with Mexican Americans and encounter Mexicans regularly. Although you seem to think that "Mexican" is a pejorative term, they don't.

"Hispanico" is not a word that people from Latin America use to describe themselves. They will say that they are Mexicanos, Salvadorenos, or Guatemaltecos, for example. And on the occasions where they are referring to customs or practices throughout Latin America, they will use the term "latino" or "latinoamericano."
                        Last edited by DAL; 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

It is not irrelevant, at all. That Mexicans are accustomed to either paying police to get out of trouble, or having money taken from the police with no recourse, is exactly why they're targeted in these types of crimes. Period. It's not JUST Mexico where this happens, either. It happens all over the world. We don't hear about it in....Thailand, because there aren't 50 million Thai people in the country. We're not in close proximity to Thailand, and we don't have a large amount of illegal Thai immigrants to capture our nation's attention. To believe that simply because the victims in this case MIGHT be Honduran, El Salvadoran or Guatemalan means they aren't bribed, or robbed, by the police in their country, is flat out dumb.

In fact, look at the other example the Prosecutor is making, of the Lieutenant from a neighboring agency. If you do a quick google search on his name, you'd see that the Prosecutor in that case said, numerous times, that the case revolved around illegal aliens, because they were less likely to come to the police, for fear of deportation. Is that "hypothetical" and "illogical" for the Prosecution to have said that?

Whether or not "Hispanic" and "Latino" are the preferred ethnic group moniker is a dumb argument. Who cares? I sure don't. I don't care what the government calls them. I don't really care what they call themselves. When I encounter them, I see a person, not an ethnic group. Who really gives a s***. The issue comes in when we can no longer call a Mexican a Mexican because it's suddenly not politically correct, or it might hurt your little feelings. Our reporting system classifies people into several categories, Hispanic, White, Black, Asian or Other. When I go to court, I don't refer to the suspect as an African-American, Caucasian, etc. They're whatever their reporting classification is. If they don't like it, tough. It's not a personal attack on them to call them black (in-fact, a majority of black people i've spoken to don't care to be called African-American), it's simply the truth. If our reporting system included a subcategory for Mexican, and the person fit within that category, I wouldn't call them "Hispanic" simply to make them feel better. If they're Mexican, they're Mexican. If they're Honduran, they're Honduran.

You suggest he start talking about the power of stereotypes? Why? Because you're so much holier than he is? You're so much more socially conscious than he is? Stereotypes aren't stereotypes because they're devoid of any reason behind them. Is it always true, no, but that's why they're called stereotypes.

A quick perusal of your profile shows that you're not in law enforcement, and are not a sworn officer. If that's true, then how do you have any experience at all about what officers, especially those in Indianapolis, experience or see on a day to day basis? You don't. So why are you here, lecturing other officers, on what their job is, or what they see on the job?
                          Originally posted by K40
                          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                            It is not irrelevant, at all. That Mexicans are accustomed to either paying police to get out of trouble, or having money taken from the police with no recourse, is exactly why they're targeted in these types of crimes. Period.
                            That is precisely why I said Mexican. If the victims were from Spain or Portugal (yes, Portuguese fits the definition of "Hispanic") or Cuba they very likely would not have been targeted.

I certainly am not going to listen to some college student lecture me about what terminology to use. I am not going to eschew an accurately descriptive term for one that is vague and conveys less information. And if I were Mexican, I would be insulted by his suggesting that Mexican is a disparaging term.
                            Last edited by DAL; 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

...and this thread illustrates why its so hard to have an honest discussion about race or culture. You are supposed to respect cultural differences but you're also supposed to act like everyone is the same.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5947 users online. 304 members and 5643 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X