300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Work

Hey everyone I just graduated from the MCSD academy about a month ago and am looking to get some part time work. I know a lot of the deputies work part time but I work at the jail right now and seems like most of my co workers don't really know much about how to go about getting work. If anyone has any advice or contact info for me that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Try working traffic at the state fairgrounds. Outside of that the part-time work becomes available by networking with other officers.

Comment

I beleive most want actual police officers. I know specials work the Colts game. It pays 22 hour now I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Deputyhcsd View Post
        I beleive most want actual police officers.
        Depends on the job. Case by case basis, some specials have proven competant enough that they get higher paying gigs. The safe work is the Colts games and traffic at the state fairgrounds, no need for a car (issued or look a like) and any police action that may be needed comes from ISP (inside the grounds) or IMPD (outside the grounds).

Comment

Isn't there a time frame after the academy you have to wait prior to working a part time gig? With IMPD you have to be free and clear of probation prior to working any part time. I like this because it gives officers time on the street to actually learn the job, get some on-duty training on how it's really like then use those tools in an off duty/part time capacity.

Am I the only one that feels that some specials are a danger to themselves that work in these cruddy little ghetto complexes with constant shots fired altercations? I've worked with a few that just scare me. There are those guys who are top notch, damn fine officers that I'd take in to a firefight with me at the drop of a hat. But it seems in my area they are few and far in between. A new special deputy working security in an apt complex had no idea how to make an arrest and called IMPD for help. I had to fill out the paperwork, affidavits, trespass form for the complex, order the wagon and order the wrecker. This guy said he'd been working part time in there for about a year...how do you not know how to do any of that?? He then proceeded to ask me how to file the report on the phone system.

To you top notch deputies, I thank you. You save me a lot of time and paperwork in the places you part time at in my area and you keep your stuff on lock down. Kudos to those guys.

Comment

You need to work the street first before you do part time. If I remember correctly MC "had" a 1 year policy for road deputies.

The hole trick to part time is maintaining a low profile yet still accomplishing the mission. If you have never worked the road you won't know how to achieve that objective.
            This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
              You need to work the street first before you do part time. If I remember correctly MC "had" a 1 year policy for road deputies.

The hole trick to part time is maintaining a low profile yet still accomplishing the mission. If you have never worked the road you won't know how to achieve that objective.
              MCSD has no road deputies. There is part-time available that does not require patrol experience, it may not pay as well as the jobs where patrol experience would be handy, but $15-$20 per hour is better than what some make full time.

Comment

I can second some of the responses above. I has responded to a Special who had chased a tresspasser (90lb W/F crackhead) from their gas station to across the street. I respond and He is there with his gun out asking me if he can kick in the door. True Story.
                Another time, I was on partol just cruising and found another Special on the ground wrestling with a suspect surrounded by 6 of the suspects adult male friends. Again off their property. Never put anything out on the radio.

On a fluke, I caught a Robbery suspect off duty one day. The actual incident happened on a property with a Special Deputy(A LT)working. Report never mentions Suspect was about to car jack a car, I had to chase the guy, He resisted, Put him at gun point, or anything. All that was condensed into 1 little sentance in the report. The Special didn't even title the report as a robbery, He titled it "All Others" for a report title. Then to top it off, This Special puts my PERSONAL CELL PHONE # in the PC/Narritive! Is that what their academy teaches? WTH!
                So it goes to say, I have not had good luck with Specials working Part Time. But I will finish saying that some of the Wagon Drivers are top notch. Especialy on Lates. I have had more than one instance where they were the first unit on scene when I called for and needed back up.

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post

The whole trick to part time is maintaining a low profile yet still accomplishing the mission. If you have never worked the road you won't know how to achieve that objective.
                  This 1000 times. Part time should be a "sit here, maintain my presence, hope for a slow night, collect my paycheck". This is not a time for you to be John Wayne in the ghetto kicking up foot chases, running gun battles, resisters and calling the beat cars in to back you up on your investigations. We'll back you, but we have a beat to run.

I think the biggest problem with specials is that they don't have road patrol in their normal duties...therefore when they get a part time gig where they can go "play" they play hard...and some get hurt while doing it.

And I second stray's statement on top notch wagon drivers. We have a couple on middles that absolutely bust their *** every day to get to us in a timely manner, always gives us extra property bags or slips and chats with us after the fact. Always like seeing those guys en route to my run.

Comment

Originally posted by IndySoldier1983 View Post
                    MCSD has no road deputies.
                    Hence the word "had"

This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4546 users online. 276 members and 4270 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X