300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for testing

Ok, I just got a response to take a Physical agility test for a police department, but they are charging $25 to participate. Has anyone else heard of such a thing, is this even ethical or legal? I mean they are charging just to be considered for a position; this just doesn’t sit well with me. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Lot of departments do this. Why wouldnt it be legal?

Comment

Originally posted by acknight View Post
      Ok, I just got a response to take a Physical agility test for a police department, but they are charging $25 to participate. Has anyone else heard of such a thing, is this even ethical or legal? I mean they are charging just to be considered for a position; this just doesn’t sit well with me. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
      Then don't go through the process. Been going on a long time. Why shouldn't a municipality be allowed to cover the cost of recruiting and applicant processing?
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Ive seen some depts require applicants to pay for everything from drug tests the polygraph. Just another way for them to save some dough. Probably see more of that to come with the economy's current state. And no that is no illegal.

Comment

The question shouldn't be why are they making me pay for testing, but how badly do you want the job?
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I'll be odd man out. I wouldn't have tested with a department that charged for the privilege. It would make me wonder what their budget was like for training, equipment, and retention down the road.

I'm also suprised the liberal weenies haven't complained its designed to keep the poor and downtrodden out of the process.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              I'm also suprised the liberal weenies haven't complained its designed to keep the poor and downtrodden out of the process.
              +1

Which is exactly why I doubt we ever see Indy go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by acknight View Post
                I got an email for Fishers next month to pay to test. 25$ and a tank of gas is much better than the almost Grand I just shelled out to just show at a test in Gainesville FL. I'm going to pay the fee. Some places out west charge an "application fee" so in some places it's part of the game either pay to play.......or don't it's all about what you want.

Comment

I think the fees are reasonable. We are talking $25. When I tested with an agency, I would bet 85%, if not more, weren't even taxpayers of the municipality whose department was testing. Plus, they had only six slots available but had 150ish show up for the physical. After the physical, 100ish were left for the written test. Why should the taxpayers of that municipality have to pay for someone else to attempt to get on with their PD? I'm surprised it isn't a little more than $25 actually. At the PT test alone they had about seven or so officers there assisting with testing. I'm sure those officers were on the clock and not volunteering their time. The problem the departments have is that they can't just pick and choose from pre-apps on who they want to test. If we were talking only 25 test takers, it wouldn't surprise me if the larger departments/municipalities wouldn't just eat those fees. We aren't talking about only a handful of folks, but the possibility of well over 100. At the agency I applied to, they had 200 send in pre-apps. If all 200 would have showed up and passed the PT, that would mean all 200 get a shot at the written test. That is a lot of money for a municipality to cover when they only are hiring for a handful of slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                    I think the fees are reasonable. We are talking $25. When I tested with an agency, I would bet 85%, if not more, weren't even taxpayers of the municipality whose department was testing. Plus, they had only six slots available but had 150ish show up for the physical. After the physical, 100ish were left for the written test. Why should the taxpayers of that municipality have to pay for someone else to attempt to get on with their PD? I'm surprised it isn't a little more than $25 actually. At the PT test alone they had about seven or so officers there assisting with testing. I'm sure those officers were on the clock and not volunteering their time.
                    Well, at best that's not quite $4k. That's not a huge outlay of cash for any but the smallest of small depts. I'm sure we urinate that much away on non-LEO necessary stuff pretty regularly. Besides which, what cost is there associated with a PT test? Will those officers administering it not be getting paid anyway if they weren't there? After start up costs, what is the real cost difference between administering a written test to 20 or 100 people? 80 extra pencils and a couple of minutes at the Scantron machine? No, they cost basically nothing, which is why the expensive medical/pysch and time consuming oral/BI stuff is later in the program. My, cynical perhaps but realistic, assessment is it keeps the people who just need an application for unemployment stats away and makes a hand full of dollars for a dept. Now, if you have an 8 man department, you may need the cash, but honestly what portion of even a 25 man dept is $4k?

Again, if budgets are that tight that $4k is a make or break, probably not a place I want to work when it comes time to negotiate health insurance, uniform allowances, pay scale, equipment issue, etc.
                    I miss you, Dave.

Comment

I know a lot of Indy area PD's use IPSP to outsource the tests. I wonder how much that will run a dept.

Comment

Well, I thank everyone for their response. As for the legal part, it was more of a rhetorical question, then an actual question. I have to agree with cruiser class on this. I just don’t see paying for a test just to be considered. I have no problem helping pay for the further testing after a conditional offer is made, but not to do it before the whole process starts. I can tell you now that if all departments required a deposit to test, I probably wouldn’t be an officer today. Again, I thank everyone for their prompt responses.

Comment

It appears to me that the rational of paying to test comes from the theory that Govt. should operate like a business. Think of paying to test as a head hunter agency or temp employment agency although this most likely doesn't make it any more palatable.

Government should exist to provide for national defense, essential services, infrastructure, police and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by surfer View Post
                            It appears to me that the rational of paying to test comes from the theory that Govt. should operate like a business.
                            I've never seen a legitimate business that makes prospective candidates pay for the privilege of seeking employment with them. The headhunter analogy isn't accurate because employers, not the candidate being sought, pay the headhunter.

Comment

Originally posted by surfer View Post
                              Think of paying to test as a head hunter agency or temp employment agency although this most likely doesn't make it any more palatable.
                              To me, that says scam. Legit agencies get paid when you get hired, either by you, the employer, or some combination. Not when you apply. Like all of those ads in magazines that offer you jobs with the post office or what not and are really just selling overpriced study materials. Maybe that's another reason paying to test with a department really rubs me the wrong way. It just reeks of low rent scammers even if its legit in this instance.
                              I miss you, Dave.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 308 members and 5052 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X