300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilarious news story about Indiana Univ. PD

I read the very first part of this story and had a good laugh. It got even better as I read more. From the quotes attributed to the officer, to the words used to describe certain events/things. Here is the link with selected text:

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=78764

When someone mentions “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” Meredith Alexander’s eyes light up.

A 21-year-old junior, an IU Police Department officer and a criminal justice and sociology major, she said quite simply “I am Olivia Benson,” who is a character on the TV show.

It started in eighth grade. She was hooked on “Special Victims Unit.” Her parents were pretty sure she’d grow out of it.

She didn’t.

So the decision to come to IU was an easy one, she said. No other university in the country has a program where students can become officers before graduation, according to IUPD.

They live in the residence halls, patrol the campus in shifts and wander the madness of the tailgating fields. On occasion, they are called on to literally tackle fellow students or mediate roommate arguments.

The night was grey, the air filled with mist. Hand on her belt, Meredith walked down a hill into the sloping field behind McNutt Quad.

“See, now that it’s rained, you can’t hear me walking,” she said.

She came here to “see what she can smell.” As she checked each copse of trees and each small valley for pot-smoking freshmen, she seemed self assured, if not completely at ease being on patrol alone.

She said it’s hard to turn the cop switch off. She needs to stay alert, always expected to be serving and protecting.

The officers met at the station at 5:30 p.m., took roll call, hopped in their personal vehicles and drove straight to Gresham Food Court, where they took their dinner break “just to get it out of the way.”

She sat with the guys. There were four of them at the table, fully dressed in
    uniform with guns on their belts. The other cafeteria-goers were staring slightly.

Meredith admitted it can sometimes be difficult.

“People are sometimes more intimidated by the uniform. But I’m still the same person as when I’m in my Pi Phi clothes.”

While the guys grabbed food, she pulled out a picture from a weekend of bike training. Two oblong purple splotches mark her thigh. She fell off the bike and onto her gun.

For a good laugh or two, check out the comments at the bottom of the story.

She's just an enthusiastic kid. I wouldn't read any more into it than that, especially since she didn't write it. I disagree with the dept's philosophy of having students police other students.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      She's just an enthusiastic kid. I wouldn't read any more into it than that, especially since she didn't write it. I disagree with the dept's philosophy of having students police other students.
      I agree with you on the first part, we all know how our words can get twisted by the media! She loves what she does and I think it's great..

On the other topic, policing other students, They are certified officers and many will go back to the communities they came from to police. If they can't hack it at I.U. with students they don't know, they won't be able to hack it in their own community when dealing with people they have grown up with.
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Yeah, she's 21...VERY young. I was 24 when I went through their program and I look back on how young/immature I was at that age. Maturity level is why I think 21 is too young to become an officer. But I think she did ok.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
          Yeah, she's 21...VERY young. I was 24 when I went through their program and I look back on how young/immature I was at that age. Maturity level is why I think 21 is too young to become an officer. But I think she did ok.
          Anyone who hired me at 21 would have gotten what the deserved...
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
            hahahahaha, nice!!!

I was sworn in when I was 21 and went to ILEA at 22. With anything, there are some that can do the job at that age and some that can't.

I believe that ILEA gives waviers for people under 21 to be reserve officers.. I don't know the magic number as for as age, but I recall 1 of the city reserves in my old county being 19 or 20..

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              Prolly say that about us all!
              This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                I believe that ILEA gives waviers for people under 21 to be reserve officers.. I don't know the magic number as for as age, but I recall 1 of the city reserves in my old county being 19 or 20..
                Hmm never heard of that...not calling you a liar, but it seems odd.
                This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                  I never had either, Im telling you he had a waiver from ILEA to work as a reserve.. Only thing I don't know for sure was his age, other than he was under 21.. I think I heard one of the older guys I went to a school with mentioning it too..

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                    I don't believe the LETB sets a minimum age. There doesn't seem to be anything in IC 5-2 that authorizes them to do so. I graduated from the IU academy a few days before I turned 20.

Comment

There were 18 yrs olds in my IU Academy class. I was 24 and I was the "old man". As an FTO at IUPUI PD, I trained 19yr olds...it was frustrating to say the least. Hell, they barely knew how to drive...ugh.

Comment

"On the other topic, policing other students, They are certified officers and many will go back to the communities they came from to police. If they can't hack it at I.U. with students they don't know, they won't be able to hack it in their own community when dealing with people they have grown up with."

It is not a matter of not hacking it. They do know these students. They go to class with them, they eat with them, they socialize at the same places, they live together, etc. I just don't think it is a good idea to expect kids to police other kids, especially in a peer driven college environment.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          "On the other topic, policing other students, They are certified officers and many will go back to the communities they came from to police. If they can't hack it at I.U. with students they don't know, they won't be able to hack it in their own community when dealing with people they have grown up with."

It is not a matter of not hacking it. They do know these students. They go to class with them, they eat with them, they socialize at the same places, they live together, etc. I just don't think it is a good idea to expect kids to police other kids, especially in a peer driven college environment.
                          I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it. I didn't know alot of students when I was in college and I went to Vincennes U. It's one of the smallest schools in the state.

I know alot of the people I police, I talk with them, I eat with them and even know some of their children. Some of them try and influence my decision on calls, etc, etc.

If I was a police chief/sheriff, It would shine a bright light on someone who was a young officer at a college and worked well. They would be thought of in my eyes as someone who has proved they want this job and will do the right thing.

In fact, I don't remeber when the last time a young college officer was in the news for doing something stupid!! It's mainly older, seasoned officers who get in trouble.

Comment

I graduated from there academy two summers ago. I was 20 when I started it and my friend was 19. He was an officer at 20 years old with iupui. IU sends many people through their academy at 19.

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                              I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it. I didn't know alot of students when I was in college and I went to Vincennes U. It's one of the smallest schools in the state.

I know alot of the people I police, I talk with them, I eat with them and even know some of their children. Some of them try and influence my decision on calls, etc, etc.

If I was a police chief/sheriff, It would shine a bright light on someone who was a young officer at a college and worked well. They would be thought of in my eyes as someone who has proved they want this job and will do the right thing.

In fact, I don't remeber when the last time a young college officer was in the news for doing something stupid!! It's mainly older, seasoned officers who get in trouble.
                              You apparently don't know the former university cop that came to my department. Wow.
                              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6253 users online. 346 members and 5907 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X