Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There No More Driver's Ed In This State????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There No More Driver's Ed In This State????

I know some of you aren't traffic guys. That's fine. I am. Always will be. Yesterday, I watched four different cars try to parallel park. FAIL. They sucked, terribly. One guy had to try it 8....yes 8 times before he was even able to exit his vehicle. And even at that, he was still too far from the curb!

ANYWAY...what really got me on this country's (not just Indiana's) lack of following basic driving principles was a stop I had just a bit ago. I'm at an intersection with a red light. I'm behind what is obviously a teenager and a friend in a little Chevy. We are facing east. North and southbound traffic is tooling along nicely with their green light. I look to the left (on the east side of the US route) and see several pedestrians push the crosswalk button.

Our light turns green and westbound truck crosses the US route, while we with our left turn signals wait. Obviously the pedestrians get their nice white WALK signal and start to cross the street. Just then, this teenie-boper shoots her left turn, nearly hitting the peds. They literally had to stop in their tracks to keep from getting hit.

WTH is going on with people? So I light her up and ask her why she decided to turn while there were clearly people crossing the street. You know what she - and her 16 year old lawyer friend, had to say to me? "Uh, officer our light was GREEEEEN. We had the right of way." To which I smile and reply, "License and registration please." I then proceeded to tell her what SHOULD have been taught to her in Driver's ED 101...and gave her a $120 coupon off her next McD's check.

I see crap like this all the time. No signals on turns, improper passing, you name it and people act like there are no rules for the road. I'm sick of this ME ME ME culture. UGH.

How's your day?
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Ummm... yeah... come work a day in Bloomington. LOL! Dealing with rich kids driving their mom and dad's Range Rovers with NJ and NY plates as fast as they can or the plethora of international students who only have an ID from China or South Korea with a bunch of symbols they expect me to be able to decipher. It's a troopers wet dream here...!

And my day is great, thanks for asking! Took a nice little extended weekend

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
      ANYWAY...what really got me on this country's (not just Indiana's) lack of following basic driving principles was a stop I had just a bit ago. I'm at an intersection with a red light. I'm behind what is obviously a teenager and a friend in a little Chevy. We are facing east. North and southbound traffic is tooling along nicely with their green light. I look to the left (on the east side of the US route) and see several pedestrians push the crosswalk button.

Our light turns green and westbound truck crosses the US route, while we with our left turn signals wait. Obviously the pedestrians get their nice white WALK signal and start to cross the street. Just then, this teenie-boper shoots her left turn, nearly hitting the peds. They literally had to stop in their tracks to keep from getting hit.

WTH is going on with people? So I light her up and ask her why she decided to turn while there were clearly people crossing the street. You know what she - and her 16 year old lawyer friend, had to say to me? "Uh, officer our light was GREEEEEN. We had the right of way." To which I smile and reply, "License and registration please." I then proceeded to tell her what SHOULD have been taught to her in Driver's ED 101...and gave her a $120 coupon off her next McD's check.

I see crap like this all the time. No signals on turns, improper passing, you name it and people act like there are no rules for the road. I'm sick of this ME ME ME culture. UGH.

How's your day?
      Don't ever come to the IUPUI Campus...I'm afraid you would have a stroke or heart attack.

Comment

Driver's Ed in this state is lacking horribly. There was an article in the Star a couple months back talking about it. I've been in contact with my state reps and senator, offering up some suggestions. It so happens I've been in contact with 2 on the sub-committee looking into Driver's Ed.
        I have a 15 yr old who will be able to go to Driver's Ed in the spring. Where we are, it will cost about $350, which covers the classroom and only 6 hours of driving with an instructor. The classroom can also be done on-line, but they still charge the same amount.
        I think Law Enforcement Driving Instructors should also be allowed to teach Driver's Ed. I also think students should go through some of the same things that we went through at ILEA on "Skills Day" (Day 1), such as threshold braking, evasive, lane change, and especially skid car. Teenagers don't have to do Threshold Braking and Evasive at 50 MPH, but I think doing it at 30 and 40 would be acceptable. Then, set up a station or 2 on parallel parking too. And, all of that should be done BEFORE the student hits the street with the instructor. I'd say minimum of 8-10 hours, with 2-3 being on skid car, but spread out over a couple of weeks or so.

Thoughts?

Comment

Pull to the right and stop.

Pull you head out of your butt, then pull everything over to the right, and then stop.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I often wondered why some folks were complaining about having to write 10 UTT's a month, I'd have that in under an hour around here

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
            Toby Keith

Comment

My son lives south on Indy a short way with his mom. He's 19 now. He got his driver training out there, from his mother and whichever school she sent him to, no input required from me. I did some driving out here with him, I was shocked at the lack of training, and hours required. I know it was that bad for me, back in the 70s, but we should be doing better. Here in MD, we have a graduated system, and 60 hours supervised by a driver over 21 is a requirement before getting a provisional, which restricts the number of occupants and hours they can drive. The booklet that must be turned in with the hours logged does have recommended things to do. Problem is, the folks teaching this are the same idiots we all share the road with. Daughter tells me she knows lots of her classmates, they just get the book pencil-whipped by parents who dont have the time.

We are on hour three of her 60 now, and she is just now getting some surface street stuff. After the 60 hours with me, I plan on her taking both Car Control, and Drive 2 Survive. Which type of courses should be mandatory, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                I often wondered why some folks were complaining about having to write 10 UTT's a month, I'd have that in under an hour around here
                Because $150.00 fine is outragous in this economy. If we were still back in the days where one person in the household still had a $25/hour job, plus almost unlimited OT if they wanted, then I wouldn't feel so bad about writting a person such a fine. I think the fine should be lower, around $40.00. If tickets were that much, I think more officers would be out writing tickets, and thus people would drive better, because while $40.00 isn't much, it is still enough to get folks to watch their driving...especially if they are now more likely to get a ticket when stopped...insurance could still spike if you get too many.

I often wondered why some cops complain about them or their loved ones getting a UTT. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If writing non-LEOs tickets is a moral thing to do, then I don't see why it is such a big deal if an officer writes an off-duty LEO. I guess some cops just get upset when that $150 is coming out of their bank account and it is their personal insurance that now may go up in price.

Next time, write those ten tickets in an hour to ten spouses of cops, I bet you have at least five calls within a hours, if not more!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                  Because $150.00 fine is outragous in this economy.
                  I just returned from a trip up in Wisconsin and they have a graduated fine and point system depending on the speed, with the top fine being $450 (and that is doubled in a work zone). One of the people we visited had recently gotten a UTT for 70 in a 55 and it cost her nearly $300 and 6 points! In perspective Indiana isn't so bad.

As to your theory of reducing fines, considering Sheriff Anderson's brother has 26 convictions for DWS, but somehow still has a valid license and drives, makes me doubt the effectiveness of lower fines

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                  Toby Keith

Comment

I often wondered why some cops complain about them or their loved ones getting a UTT. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If writing non-LEOs tickets is a moral thing to do, then I don't see why it is such a big deal if an officer writes an off-duty LEO. I guess some cops just get upset when that $150 is coming out of their bank account and it is their personal insurance that now may go up in price.

Next time, write those ten tickets in an hour to ten spouses of cops, I bet you have at least five calls within a hours, if not more!!
                    Bingo my e-ticket shows 453 warnings 83 utts. If my traffic stop will correct the driving behavior there is no need for a UTT. If you deserve a UTT you get one...LEO, prosecutor, judge...I flat out do not care. I give everyone the same breaks/consequences.

Comment

Because $150.00 fine is outragous in this economy. If we were still back in the days where one person in the household still had a $25/hour job, plus almost unlimited OT if they wanted, then I wouldn't feel so bad about writting a person such a fine. I think the fine should be lower, around $40.00. If tickets were that much, I think more officers would be out writing tickets, and thus people would drive better, because while $40.00 isn't much, it is still enough to get folks to watch their driving...especially if they are now more likely to get a ticket when stopped...insurance could still spike if you get too many.

SERIOUSLY....you turned this thread into something about professional courtesy? Our UTT's here in my county are $120. I don't give a damn what the economy is. If you drive like an idiot, you're going to get a ticket. And, I'm STILL going to cut the breaks to the one's that deserve it. I read a study once in a traffic law class about the impact a written warning makes on a driver versus a citation. Guess what. Those with written warnings were more apt to speed again versus those that got a cite.

Furthermore, I disagree with you 100%. I think our tickets should be in line with other states, like Florida or Wisconsin as 55-502 pointed out above. I'm all about maxing our speeding/traffic fines out around $400-500. THAT is how you get someone's attention not to drive like you own the road because you're a suburban soccer mom in a big-*** SUV.
                      Last edited by towncop; 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM.
                      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

In California, in the 1995 when I was the last class in my high school to get school sanctioned Drivers Ed. They did not teach parallel parking. Their reasoning was that due to the preponderance of parking garages, that led to a distinct lack of need to parallel park.
                        I kid you not.

I have lived in CA, NY, NC, CT, VA and I am utterly terrified of MD drivers. Every time I see one, it's like 65mph unguided missile on the road near me.

I'm of the opinion that all Driver's Ed classes should start with a trip to the morgue to see what happens when you don't pay attention to the vechicle, and a defensive driving class.

I'm happy to see VA troopers citing for people texting while driving now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikerz View Post

I'm happy to see VA troopers citing for people texting while driving now.
                          I pray Indiana follows suit.

Comment

SERIOUSLY....you turned this thread into something about professional courtesy? Our UTT's here in my county are $120. I don't give a damn what the economy is. If you drive like an idiot, you're going to get a ticket. And, I'm STILL going to cut the breaks to the one's that deserve it. I read a study once in a traffic law class about the impact a written warning makes on a driver versus a citation. Guess what. Those with written warnings were more apt to speed again versus those that got a cite.

Furthermore, I disagree with you 100%. I think our tickets should be in line with other states, like Florida or Wisconsin as 55-502 pointed out above. I'm all about maxing our speeding/traffic fines out around $400-500. THAT is how you get someone's attention not to drive like you own the road because you're a suburban soccer mom in a big-*** SUV.
                            I agree with you on the warnings. I went through the "economy is bad" phase earlier in the year and gave many warnings, only to catch many of the same people driving like idiots again. They of course got tickets the second time around, but that got me back into my ticket phase. I'm with you Townie, drive like an idiot and pay for it...period. I still use discretion; it's not like very person I stop gets a ticket, but the trying to give people a break has bit me in the butt too many times.

I stopped a guy a few weeks back late in the evening, probably close to midnight. Guy was going 73/55. SAME guy was stopped less then 5 minutes earlier by ISP and given a written warning for I think 70/55. When I radioed the stop into dispatch, the troop called me and said " yea, i just stopped that guy...see, i try to give someone a break and look what they do!"

Yes, he got a ticket , lol.

Comment

I know some of you aren't traffic guys. That's fine. I am. Always will be. Yesterday, I watched four different cars try to parallel park. FAIL. They sucked, terribly. One guy had to try it 8....yes 8 times before he was even able to exit his vehicle. And even at that, he was still too far from the curb!

How's your day?
                              Try working the interstates.................The driving in this state is HORRIBLE.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5045 users online. 321 members and 4724 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X