300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zionsville Police Chief Investigated

Zionsville — Zionsville Police Chief Rick Dowden is being investigated by the Indiana State Police for allegedly taking items from the department’s evidence room and for his actions during a Nov. 9 department meeting.

Boone County Prosecutor Todd Meyer said Monday that ISP searched the Zionsville police station Friday night as part of the investigation. During that time, the station was on “lock down.”

“They were treating the headquarters as a crime scene,” Meyer said.

Search warrants show that authorities were looking for video surveillance tapes of police headquarters from Jan. 1 to present, and original property records and receipts documenting that items from a case against Ryan Mason were put into the ZPD evidence room.

Police were also looking for a Browning single action .45 caliber 1911 semi-automatic pistol and searched Dowden’s Zionsville home Sunday looking for two items — the gun and a 50-inch plasma screen television, according to another search warrant.

The TV is specifically mentioned in Mason case court records.

http://reporter.net/local/x20123999/...t-of-ISP-probe
    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
    John Adams, April 15, 1814

Chief Pulls Loaded Weapon on Officers

Zionsville Police Chief Rick Dowden is at the center of a state police investigation, accused of stealing a TV from the department's evidence room and pulling a loaded, cocked gun on a group of officers.

State police served search warrants Friday on police headquarters and at Dowden's Zionsville home,

A state police investigator testified at a court hearing Friday that a confidential informant said this summer they saw Dowden and another police officer load the TV, which was evidence in a 2007 Boone County burglary case, into Dowden's police-issued cruiser and drive off.

Boone County Prosecutor Todd Meyer said investigators found the 50-inch plasma TV mounted on a wall in Dowden's home.

Investigators also served a search warrant for Dowden's service weapon Tuesday.

According to court records, Dowden drew the weapon from his holster during a meeting last week with a dozen officers at police headquarters after it became apparent that many of the officers were ignoring him.

"At that point, the chief unholstered his side arm and as he pulled it out, the gun, as it was coming up, would have crossed the plane or the chest areas of at least two officers," the informant is quoted in court records.

The chief then made noises simulating that the gun was being fired to get everyone's attention, the informant said.

"He had his jaws clenched and he was red-faced," he said. "He had the hammer on the firearm cocked back in the ready fire position as it came out of the holster."

Zionsville Town Manager Edward Mitro said despite the investigation, Dowden is still acting as chief.

"It's an ongoing investigation. We're cooperating fully," he said. "Anytime someone is investigated it gives us cause for concern. I'm also a strong proponent of presumed innocent."

Dowden, who has served as chief for four years, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Comment

Dude is lucky some cops didn't draw down on him for pointing a cocked and locked .45 at them. And serioiusly....you mount the TV on your wall at home??? WTF is this nut thinking?
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Uhhh...He was sick the day they taught ethics?
        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
          Dude is lucky some cops didn't draw down on him for pointing a cocked and locked .45 at them. And serioiusly....you mount the TV on your wall at home??? WTF is this nut thinking?
          He's one of those cops who thinks they are above the law. This guy should already be arrested for pointing a firearm and possession of stolen property. Cases like this only put LE in a worse spotlight. Central Indiana LE has really had it tough with lots of problems recently.

Comment

Guess the upcoming Holiday stress was to much for him? Pop! Goes the weasel
            Last edited by Ted1958; 11-24-2010, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Wow! I have known this guy for a number of years. He is actually a doctor. From what I know of him I would be inclined to think this is political. I am interested in how this plays out.
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                Wow! I have known this guy for a number of years. He is actually a doctor. From what I know of him I would be inclined to think this is political. I am interested in how this plays out.
                It's hard to explain something away as being political when evidence from a burglary case is hanging on the living room wall.

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                  I agree with Crash. How are you inclined to think this is political when a piece of evidence is hung on the guys wall? How are you inclined to this this is political when the guy pulls a piece on cops in the department? Political how?? The mayor is still standing behind the guy. What politics? And by a doctor, I assume he's got a PhD?
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    I agree with Crash. How are you inclined to think this is political when a piece of evidence is hung on the guys wall? How are you inclined to this this is political when the guy pulls a piece on cops in the department? Political how?? The mayor is still standing behind the guy. What politics? And by a doctor, I assume he's got a PhD?
                    He's a chiropractor who signs everything as "Dr. Dowden."

Comment

Indiana State Police are expected to wrap up their investigation of Zionsville Police Chief Rick Dowden by mid-December, and town officials' investigation into allegations of misconduct is expected to ramp up.

An informant inside the Zionsville Police Department claimed Dowden stole evidence for his personal benefit and drew his service weapon during a meeting last month. Dowden placed himself on paid administrative leave as the State Police continued their investigation into the allegations of misconduct.

Dowden informed town officials through his attorney, James Voyles, that he would be taking accrued leave time. Capts. Rob Knox and Doug Gauthier are leading the department in Dowden's absence.

Neither Dowden nor Voyles responded to phone messages seeking comment.

Zionsville Town Council President Matt Price said Friday that the town's Board of Police Commissioners will conduct its own inquiry.

"We've heard a lot of assertions, but I don't think we've identified all the facts yet," Price said. "We will review the State Police's findings (when available), gather information internally and make a judgment at the appropriate time."

"Whether the State Police find a law has been broken or not, we hold our Police Department to a higher level," Price said. "We expect our department to be above reproach and held to a much higher standard.

"That's what our investigation will center around."

Price thought Dowden's decision to take paid leave was appropriate and freed the department from unneeded distractions. The police board has a range of possible sanctions it could impose on Dowden, including termination.

Boone County Prosecutor Todd Meyer said in a voicemail message that he'll petition for a special prosecutor once the State Police conclude their investigation.

"When it comes time to interpret the facts, due to the sensitivity of the subject matter and the parties involved, it's best to have a special prosecutor," Meyer said. "We need to ensure the public that no leniency was given if charges aren't filed and keep relationships with public servants moving forward if charges are filed."

According to the probable cause affidavit, an unnamed department employee saw Dowden and a ZPD detective take a 50-inch Toshiba plasma television from police headquarters earlier this year and load it into Dowden's city-owned SUV. The informant said he later saw the same television wall-mounted in Dowden's home.

Department logs did not show the television had been removed from the police station, but investigators were searching for video footage showing the two men leaving with it.

The television, stolen from a Zionsville home in 2007 and later recovered, is evidence in a case that's pending in Boone County Court. The case had remained stagnant for more than two years until April, when investigators were notified of a DNA match from blood recovered at the scene, the court documents said..

It's not clear whether the television disappeared before or after the case became active again.

Investigators also retrieved Dowden's Browning 1911 model .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol, which he allegedly drew during a meeting with about 12 officers at police headquarters less than two weeks ago.

The probable cause affidavit states that an "angry" and "red-faced" Dowden drew the cocked and loaded pistol from his holster, briefly pointing it toward the chests of at least two officers as he raised it toward the ceiling of the room, and "made some noises simulating that the gun was being fired to get everybody's attention in the room," according to the probable cause affidavit.

Dowden has led the department since 2007.

Comment

Zionsville Police Chief Rick Dowden, under investigation by a special prosecutor, resigned, and town officials took disciplinary action Wednesday against five other officers.

Among those is Dowden's likely successor as police chief, Zionsville Police Capt. Robert Knox, who was criticized for not reporting violations of departmental policy.

Special Prosecutor Dave Powell is investigating allegations that Dowden misappropriated evidence in criminal investigations -- a TV and a sports car -- and unholstered his loaded gun and waved it during a meeting last year with police officers at police headquarters.

Dowden, police chief since 2007, is accused of taking the TV from police headquarters to his home and selling a stolen sports car recovered by the department to buy a new department vehicle for his own use.

In a letter sent Tuesday, Dowden notified Zionsville Town Manager Ed Mitro of his resignation.

"Effective immediately, I have decided to retire from law enforcement and resign as the Zionsville Chief of Police to pursue another opportunity in the private sector," he wrote.

In a meeting Wednesday morning, the Zionsville Board of Metropolitan Police Commissioners ordered that three officers be suspended for five days without pay and that another officer receive a written reprimand, mostly because of their conduct related to the department's handling of the 50-inch plasma TV and the sports car.

That conduct generally related to their failure to alert town officials of their knowledge of possible improper activity or failure to follow chain-of-evidence procedures.

Dowden has not been criminally charged in the case, but the special prosecutor recently filed a misdemeanor conversion charge against Zionsville Police Detective Bob Anderson. The charge relates to information Anderson allegedly gave an insurance company regarding the sports car, a Nissan 350Z.

Police commissioners postponed disciplinary action against Anderson pending the outcome of the criminal case, said board Chairman Art Harris, who is on the Town Council.

The Zionsville Town Council will vote Friday on a recommendation from the police board that Knox be named to replace Dowden as police chief. The five-member board made that recommendation in the meeting Wednesday and agreed Knox would serve as acting chief in the meantime.

Call Star reporter William Booher at (317) 444-2706.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6576 users online. 349 members and 6227 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X