300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Control Officers

Does any one know anything about animal control officers? Do they carry fire arms, are there any special courses required/ILEA, what kind of police powers due they have I.E. special deputies or merit?
    only predators fear the dog that protect the sheep!

Originally posted by pattymac View Post
    Does any one know anything about animal control officers? Do they carry fire arms, are there any special courses required/ILEA, what kind of police powers due they have I.E. special deputies or merit?
    Which department are you inquiring about exactly?

Indy for instance does not carry firearms, they do not have any powers to speak of. Any type of LE powers is held by the Investigators or they use the local police....

They drive Vans, run a 24/7 operation with roughly 19 officers on 8 hour shifts.

Are you in the proces for a job or just getting started?

Half
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

for Indy. When I read the description it said special police powers but I did not know if it was special deputy powers or they went to ILEA. I was given an offer of employment and took it. I work at the jail with other deputies in Hamilton County and they love doing it on call basis, is why i'm trying to figure out what powers they have. I was told they do dog fighting ring investigations, animal bite investigations, and of course picking up animals. I've seen lawrence's officers and they carry fire arms but I haven't seen any officers for Indy. I didn't think they would carry but hey they do go into some pretty hood places.

Comment

Originally posted by pattymac View Post
        for Indy. When I read the description it said special police powers but I did not know if it was special deputy powers or they went to ILEA. I was given an offer of employment and took it. I work at the jail with other deputies in Hamilton County and they love doing it on call basis, is why i'm trying to figure out what powers they have. I was told they do dog fighting ring investigations, animal bite investigations, and of course picking up animals. I've seen lawrence's officers and they carry fire arms but I haven't seen any officers for Indy. I didn't think they would carry but hey they do go into some pretty hood places.
        Right - they do not go ILEA.

From my understanding your correct, they do investigations and the rest of the general duties. Some officers carry firearms thru out the State and the Nation. I carry up here for my ACO duties and we have arrest powers for all animal complaints and violations....

Indy does not have a carry policy. This is something I thought they would have covered with you in the interviews. Indy AC has a residency requirment that you must live inside Marion County. They have roughly 18 Officers and run a 24/7 operation.

When did they offer you the job, This past day or so?
        There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

Comment

I was offered today and I accepted. They told me they were down to 16 officers and hiring 4. I didn't ask about the fire arms policy because I just really started thinking about that today. In the job description it said that officers are required to take care of their vehicle, equipment, tranquilizer gun, gun, and some other things I cant remember off the top of my head. Thats what made me think what weapons do they carry, and how much is there authority and can they pick up p/t gigs like at the state fair. Either way i'm stoked to just be getting a Full time job finally after doing p/t at the S.O. what seems like forever.

Comment

Well - this is very interesting....

I, too, was just offered a job with them today. I accepted and they took my info to start a back ground check....

I was with the understanding that they were only interviewing for 1 spot this time around and that they had already hired a couple from "internal", with the possability of hiring a couple more next year depending on how the budget looked....

Looks like we may be team mates!

Comment

Congrats. That is awesome! the only reason I knew about the four being hired is because during the second interview I asked how many were being hired and where does the process go from there. It definately made my day at the jail a great one to hear good news. Amber told me that they are sending the paper work to HR and it may take 3 weeks or so to get processed, but im definately ready to start.

Comment

Okay - I asked her during the first interview how many they were hiring and her reply was that they were hiring 3 or 4 (I can't exactly remember) and that they had hired some from internal and they were posting outside for the last....

Thats why I was wondering what the Hell was going on when you posted you got the job. Hell - they called me this morning at 830AM to tell me to start looking for property in Indiana.....LOL

What time was your interview on Tuesday? Mine was at 1200 (noon) and I passed a guy in the car right at the entrance. He looked like he was heading in for a interview all spiffed up...

Wondering if that was you!

Comment

Mine was around 10:00 a.m. on Friday, they were actually really nice and willing to work around my schedule which suprised the hell out of me. She told me I was one of the ten final canidates. I felt really good when they gave me a tour of the facilities and talked about pay with me but I still wasn't sure.

Comment

Congrats to both of you. I just missed signing up for this job posting. I'll have to wait for the next one.

Comment

Right - I came down for my first interview on the 28th of April. They called me back on May 4th to come back for 2nd on the 11th....

When I was down there on the 1st interview they went ahead and gave me a tour of the facility and I had time to do a little Q&A with Amber. They told me I could do my 2nd by telephone conference if I wanted assuming I was offered a 2nd but I told them I woudl come back personally....

It will be wierd to start up with another unit and give up the Arrest Powers and carry policy we have hear - but this is only part time and as you know - fulltime employment is a must!

So I take it then you live in Marion County already? I am going to have to step up the process to find a place for my family to live. I found a rental when we were down there that woudl have been great but apparantly it was already rented....

Looking in the Acton / Southport area....

Sorry to hear you missed out VI - I'll keep you in the loop when we hear about the next posting....

Comment

Their enforcement options are limited to issuing citations for animal related offenses. If an arrest must be made, say for failure to identify or the like, they call us. They do make reports on dog bites, for which I love them.

They do not carry firearms, and very very very few carry tranq guns any longer. Which sucks. Fewer tranq guns means more shot doggies.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                          Their enforcement options are limited to issuing citations for animal related offenses. If an arrest must be made, say for failure to identify or the like, they call us. They do make reports on dog bites, for which I love them.

They do not carry firearms, and very very very few carry tranq guns any longer. Which sucks. Fewer tranq guns means more shot doggies.
                          Copy That...

When discussing the future of the department with the current admin - it seems like they are really proactive and are hoping to up the powers of the ACO's in the future...

I can tell you right now after working for a unit that carry's and has powers of arrest for animal offenses - the LEO's love it. Less for them to do. It only makes sense to give the ACO's the tools to do their jobs. It never made sense to me as to why you would give an officer the power to write citations but not the powers to enforce them...

It works great up here and is the way to go!

Comment

Does anyone have a link to their employment page? I obviously cannot apply for a long while, just interested in reading up on it...
                            Rest In Peace Officer David Moore

Gone, but not forgotten. EOW 1/26/11

Poison - talk dirty to me - I was the baddest mo fo in my 6th grade Catholic School
                            -Crass Cop

Comment

Originally posted by USMC5011 View Post
                              Does anyone have a link to their employment page? I obviously cannot apply for a long while, just interested in reading up on it...
                              Home Page:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/AC...ages/home.aspx

Job Description we applied under:

Job Title: Animal Control Officer Salary: $15.69 Hourly $32,635.20 Annually Job Type: Full Time Location: Animal Care and Control, Indiana.

In this position, the incumbent will respond to citizen requests for service and/or complaints regarding animals. The position requires the apprehension and impoundment of animals that are at large or being kept in violation of municipal code. The incumbent in this position will investigate animal bites and/or attacks, care and treatment violations, and dog fighting cases. This position must issue summons and citations to residents of Indianapolis/Marion County for violations of State law and local ordinances.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4963 users online. 319 members and 4644 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X