Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC5011
    replied
    I will use it wisely. After reading all this, I'm not sure if I want to join IUPUI's police cadet program. Probably will follow through with the US Army (I know my name says USMC...) so I get to serve my country, and not only that but be able to put it on my resume.
    Last edited by USMC5011; 02-26-2011, 01:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• surfer
    replied
    Originally posted by USMC5011 View Post
    Yes sir. I know I already said it but thanks again to everyone who replied. Got more informative answers than I expected.
    Your welcome, remember you can never have too much information, you just have to know how to us it.

Leave a comment:

• USMC5011
    replied
    Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
    At this point, yes.

But remember, you've got a long time, things can and will change.
    Yes sir. I know I already said it but thanks again to everyone who replied. Got more informative answers than I expected.

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    Thanks Surfer, so most likely I will have to re-do ILEA basic or if I am lucky enough to make it to IMPD, I will probably have to go through their entire academy. Thanks again.
    At this point, yes.

But remember, you've got a long time, things can and will change.

Leave a comment:

• USMC5011
    replied
    Thanks Surfer, so most likely I will have to re-do ILEA basic or if I am lucky enough to make it to IMPD, I will probably have to go through their entire academy. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• surfer
    replied
    I can speak fairly accurately for Fort Wayne they have previously taken in and out of state laterals. They will post an opening for laterals indicating an abreviated academy usually around 4 weeks and whatever certification needed for out of state laterals. They usually list 2 years minimum experience.

FWPD has a good number of laterals, even the ISP Superintendant, Dr. Paul Whitesell was a Sgt. with FWPD a few years ago for a couple of years. He worked at the academy.

I they are not seeking laterals and your ILEA certified and/or working as an officer then you must go through the entire application process and academy including FTO.

It seems FWPD seeks laterals when they want to fill 4-12 positions for whatever reason. Lateral recruiting is like the wind you never know when the positions will be offered.

As for ISP, recalling back a few years ago when the economy was good... nobody wanted to be a trooper. They had a prerequisite of 60 cr hrs. or an assoc. degree. The way around the education was police experience and they called this a lateral if I recall correctly. It was some ISP BS definition for a lateral, you know they have to always be...... well.... different.

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    Originally posted by K40 View Post
    Well, you have to have actual police experience to get the shortened FTO program.

(Sorry....I had to. )
    YES!

Leave a comment:

• K40
    replied
    Originally posted by erex View Post
    I spoke with an officer for IMPD that was in his final stages of FTO and he was a state trooper in another state. He said he received no special treatment. Then again, he was from another state.
    Well, you have to have actual police experience to get the shortened FTO program.

(Sorry....I had to. )

Leave a comment:

• erex
    replied
    Originally posted by towncop View Post
    Here's the problem. Most departments, ESPECIALLY ISP, require you to have been certified AND a full time officer to be considered for a "lateral." I was told that IMPD will let ILEA cert's, full time cops, attend a shorter academy and FTO. Don't know if that's changed or not.
    I spoke with an officer for IMPD that was in his final stages of FTO and he was a state trooper in another state. He said he received no special treatment. Then again, he was from another state.

Leave a comment:

• erex
    replied
    Originally posted by mtown18 View Post
    It almost doesnt matter if you're ILEA certified or not anymore. I work for a suburb of Indianapolis, and we just had a process. 17 ILEA certified people showed up, only one that was ILEA was selected, the other 2 have no experience.
    thats really nice that your department doesnt hire just to save money.

Leave a comment:

• USMC5011
    replied
    Thanks ptlcop, that gave me my answer. And thanks to everyone else who provided info on that situation. No more replies necessary regarding my question are needed. Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    I plan on studying at IUPUI and hopefully joining their IUPUI Police Cadet program, which puts you through the academy and you become ILEA certified and work part time for IUPUI PD while in college. My question is, theoretically, if I do make it in the Cadet program and graduate college can I lateral to IMPD with a shortened academy? What about Indiana State Police? I understand I would have to go through the hiring process as would everyone else and be put through FTO. I know this is a question I'm asking at an early age, but it is a question I had in mind. Stay safe.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search terms I used came up with little results. Those of which showed up didn't give me an answer.
    The answer is going to be "it depends." There are differences between a "lateral move" and a "certified officer being hired elsewhere" type of move. A lateral typically means that time on, time in grade, etc is all transfering departments. For instance, a person who is paid a certain pay grade, lets say as a 2nd Class Patrolman at Plainfield PD, might lateral to Avon PD and start out there as a 2nd Class Patrolman. That's a true "lateral" move. Some agencies even transfer over seniority, benefit days, etc.

A certified officer, like you're talking with an IUPD or IUPUI PD officer moving to another department would be a certified officer going to another agency, and likely starting off as any other new officer would, at the bottom of the agency.

There are exceptions. I know two officers at Fort Wayne PD who went through ILEA Plainfield and one who went to ILEA-IU. Both were hired by Fort Wayne PD and required to attend their academy. So basically, they went through ILEA Basic....twice.

I know guys with ILEA Certs who went IPD, and had to go through the IPD academy, same with guys who left different agencies and went to ISP.

In a couple years, with a new Superintendent and a new IMPD Chief/Public Safety Director, who knows what changes will/could happen.

I would certainly think that in 7 years, there'll be a new ISP Superintedent and probably a new Public Safety Director and IMPD Chief.

Leave a comment:

• USMC5011
    replied
    K40- Thanks.

Cruiser- I saw an IMPD cruiser going down my street a few weeks ago with one of those extremely old huge lightbars.

Dwntwn317- Thanks for that info. When I apply, I will be honest in everything I say. Thanks again.

Stay safe,

Shawn

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. IMPD changes the way they do things every 7 god**** weeks.....there is no way in hell to know what they will be doing in 7 years.
    And if you work there and want to find out what is going on, read the newspaper or watch the nightly local newscast!!

OK, from what I recall, the last two IUPUI cadets have went through what was then being called an "abbreviated" academy when they got hired with IMPD. However, those cadets went through the field training program, while the current cadets weren't given field training until just recently. The Bloomington cadets, for the most part don't get any uniform field training from what I hear. Just like IMPD, things at PDs change on a weekly basis, so you never know. All I can say is that if you are ILEA certified, regardless of where, don't lie and think just because you have that piece of paper you are now something. Be honest about what exactly you have done. If you worked as a part-time cop for a year and never had an arrest, make sure you don't skip that if they ask about your experience. The one thing PDs don't like is misstatements of your background, and those who think just because they got a piece of paper from ILEA they are Gods gift to law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. IMPD changes the way they do things every 7 god**** weeks.....there is no way in hell to know what they will be doing in 7 years.
    I was in a convoy today and noticed that no pair of the first 8 cars were the same. Not until you got to the 9th car did you have two (#2 and #9) that had the same lightbar, color, and stripe package, and those were both 09's.

Just saying.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6537 users online. 356 members and 6181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X