300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtown18 View Post
    It almost doesnt matter if you're ILEA certified or not anymore. I work for a suburb of Indianapolis, and we just had a process. 17 ILEA certified people showed up, only one that was ILEA was selected, the other 2 have no experience.
    thats really nice that your department doesnt hire just to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
      Here's the problem. Most departments, ESPECIALLY ISP, require you to have been certified AND a full time officer to be considered for a "lateral." I was told that IMPD will let ILEA cert's, full time cops, attend a shorter academy and FTO. Don't know if that's changed or not.
      I spoke with an officer for IMPD that was in his final stages of FTO and he was a state trooper in another state. He said he received no special treatment. Then again, he was from another state.

Comment

Originally posted by erex View Post
        I spoke with an officer for IMPD that was in his final stages of FTO and he was a state trooper in another state. He said he received no special treatment. Then again, he was from another state.
        Well, you have to have actual police experience to get the shortened FTO program.

(Sorry....I had to. )
        Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
          Well, you have to have actual police experience to get the shortened FTO program.

(Sorry....I had to. )
          YES!
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I can speak fairly accurately for Fort Wayne they have previously taken in and out of state laterals. They will post an opening for laterals indicating an abreviated academy usually around 4 weeks and whatever certification needed for out of state laterals. They usually list 2 years minimum experience.

FWPD has a good number of laterals, even the ISP Superintendant, Dr. Paul Whitesell was a Sgt. with FWPD a few years ago for a couple of years. He worked at the academy.

I they are not seeking laterals and your ILEA certified and/or working as an officer then you must go through the entire application process and academy including FTO.

It seems FWPD seeks laterals when they want to fill 4-12 positions for whatever reason. Lateral recruiting is like the wind you never know when the positions will be offered.

As for ISP, recalling back a few years ago when the economy was good... nobody wanted to be a trooper. They had a prerequisite of 60 cr hrs. or an assoc. degree. The way around the education was police experience and they called this a lateral if I recall correctly. It was some ISP BS definition for a lateral, you know they have to always be...... well.... different.

Comment

Thanks Surfer, so most likely I will have to re-do ILEA basic or if I am lucky enough to make it to IMPD, I will probably have to go through their entire academy. Thanks again.
              Rest In Peace Officer David Moore

Gone, but not forgotten. EOW 1/26/11

Poison - talk dirty to me - I was the baddest mo fo in my 6th grade Catholic School
              -Crass Cop

Comment

Originally posted by USMC5011 View Post
                Thanks Surfer, so most likely I will have to re-do ILEA basic or if I am lucky enough to make it to IMPD, I will probably have to go through their entire academy. Thanks again.
                At this point, yes.

But remember, you've got a long time, things can and will change.
                Originally posted by K40
                To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                  At this point, yes.

But remember, you've got a long time, things can and will change.
                  Yes sir. I know I already said it but thanks again to everyone who replied. Got more informative answers than I expected.

Poison - talk dirty to me - I was the baddest mo fo in my 6th grade Catholic School
                  -Crass Cop

Comment

Originally posted by USMC5011 View Post
                    Yes sir. I know I already said it but thanks again to everyone who replied. Got more informative answers than I expected.
                    Your welcome, remember you can never have too much information, you just have to know how to us it.

Comment

I will use it wisely. After reading all this, I'm not sure if I want to join IUPUI's police cadet program. Probably will follow through with the US Army (I know my name says USMC...) so I get to serve my country, and not only that but be able to put it on my resume.
                      Last edited by USMC5011; 02-26-2011, 01:31 AM.

-Crass Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4468 users online. 247 members and 4221 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X