300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILEA Certs, Lateral To IMPD or ISP

I plan on studying at IUPUI and hopefully joining their IUPUI Police Cadet program, which puts you through the academy and you become ILEA certified and work part time for IUPUI PD while in college. My question is, theoretically, if I do make it in the Cadet program and graduate college can I lateral to IMPD with a shortened academy? What about Indiana State Police? I understand I would have to go through the hiring process as would everyone else and be put through FTO. I know this is a question I'm asking at an early age, but it is a question I had in mind. Stay safe.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search terms I used came up with little results. Those of which showed up didn't give me an answer.
    Rest In Peace Officer David Moore

Gone, but not forgotten. EOW 1/26/11

Poison - talk dirty to me - I was the baddest mo fo in my 6th grade Catholic School
    -Crass Cop

At the present time, NO, you must attend the full academy with IMPD, not so sure about ISP. But......by the time you get to that stage of your life, things may change.

Originally posted by USMC5011 View Post
    I plan on studying at IUPUI and hopefully joining their IUPUI Police Cadet program, which puts you through the academy and you become ILEA certified and work part time for IUPUI PD while in college. My question is, theoretically, if I do make it in the Cadet program and graduate college can I lateral to IMPD with a shortened academy? What about Indiana State Police? I understand I would have to go through the hiring process as would everyone else and be put through FTO. I know this is a question I'm asking at an early age, but it is a question I had in mind. Stay safe.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search terms I used came up with little results. Those of which showed up didn't give me an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jerhendr2203 View Post
      At the present time, NO, you must attend the full academy with IMPD, not so sure about ISP. But......by the time you get to that stage of your life, things may change.
      Okay thanks. And yes, I might just change my mind. I'm only 14 but I love adrenaline rushes, so I might just work as a Medic or work Fire services. But as of now, my passion and eyes are set on law enforcement. Again thanks for replying, take care.

Poison - talk dirty to me - I was the baddest mo fo in my 6th grade Catholic School
      -Crass Cop

Comment

Goodluck, I've heard of some being taken with IU academy. Maybe a way to go?
        Last edited by mtown18; 05-16-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by mtown18 View Post
          It almost doesnt matter if you're ILEA certified or not anymore. I work for a suburb of Indianapolis, and we just had a process. 17 ILEA certified people showed up, only one that was ILEA was selected, the other 2 have no experience.
          Thanks for that info, it's pretty helpful. Like jerhendr2203 said, I have a while to go to think about a career. All this info along the way will help me in the future. Thanks for replying.

-Crass Cop

Comment

ISP has had only 1 lateral class and I don't think they (the Admin) plan on having another one anytime soon. However since it will be at least 6 years before you could apply anyway, there will be at least 1 change of administration in that time, so you never know.
            I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
            it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

I thought IMPD was doing a lateral academy this year?
              Originally posted by K40
              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Here's the problem. Most departments, ESPECIALLY ISP, require you to have been certified AND a full time officer to be considered for a "lateral." I was told that IMPD will let ILEA cert's, full time cops, attend a shorter academy and FTO. Don't know if that's changed or not.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                  Here's the problem. Most departments, ESPECIALLY ISP, require you to have been certified AND a full time officer to be considered for a "lateral." I was told that IMPD will let ILEA cert's, full time cops, attend a shorter academy and FTO. Don't know if that's changed or not.
                  I did not know that. Thank you for letting me know. The main department I am shooting for is IMPD, but I have 7 more years yet before I can apply. Lord knows what will happen, like ptlcop said, during those years the administration might just change how things are run.

-Crass Cop

Comment

I did not know that. Thank you for letting me know. The main department I am shooting for is IMPD, but I have 7 more years yet before I can apply. Lord knows what will happen, like ptlcop said, during those years the administration might just change how things are run.
                    I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. IMPD changes the way they do things every 7 god**** weeks.....there is no way in hell to know what they will be doing in 7 years.
                    Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                      I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. IMPD changes the way they do things every 7 god**** weeks.....there is no way in hell to know what they will be doing in 7 years.
                      I was in a convoy today and noticed that no pair of the first 8 cars were the same. Not until you got to the 9th car did you have two (#2 and #9) that had the same lightbar, color, and stripe package, and those were both 09's.

Just saying.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                        And if you work there and want to find out what is going on, read the newspaper or watch the nightly local newscast!!

OK, from what I recall, the last two IUPUI cadets have went through what was then being called an "abbreviated" academy when they got hired with IMPD. However, those cadets went through the field training program, while the current cadets weren't given field training until just recently. The Bloomington cadets, for the most part don't get any uniform field training from what I hear. Just like IMPD, things at PDs change on a weekly basis, so you never know. All I can say is that if you are ILEA certified, regardless of where, don't lie and think just because you have that piece of paper you are now something. Be honest about what exactly you have done. If you worked as a part-time cop for a year and never had an arrest, make sure you don't skip that if they ask about your experience. The one thing PDs don't like is misstatements of your background, and those who think just because they got a piece of paper from ILEA they are Gods gift to law enforcement.

Comment

K40- Thanks.

Cruiser- I saw an IMPD cruiser going down my street a few weeks ago with one of those extremely old huge lightbars.

Dwntwn317- Thanks for that info. When I apply, I will be honest in everything I say. Thanks again.

Stay safe,

Shawn

-Crass Cop

Comment

The answer is going to be "it depends." There are differences between a "lateral move" and a "certified officer being hired elsewhere" type of move. A lateral typically means that time on, time in grade, etc is all transfering departments. For instance, a person who is paid a certain pay grade, lets say as a 2nd Class Patrolman at Plainfield PD, might lateral to Avon PD and start out there as a 2nd Class Patrolman. That's a true "lateral" move. Some agencies even transfer over seniority, benefit days, etc.

A certified officer, like you're talking with an IUPD or IUPUI PD officer moving to another department would be a certified officer going to another agency, and likely starting off as any other new officer would, at the bottom of the agency.

There are exceptions. I know two officers at Fort Wayne PD who went through ILEA Plainfield and one who went to ILEA-IU. Both were hired by Fort Wayne PD and required to attend their academy. So basically, they went through ILEA Basic....twice.

I know guys with ILEA Certs who went IPD, and had to go through the IPD academy, same with guys who left different agencies and went to ISP.

In a couple years, with a new Superintendent and a new IMPD Chief/Public Safety Director, who knows what changes will/could happen.

I would certainly think that in 7 years, there'll be a new ISP Superintedent and probably a new Public Safety Director and IMPD Chief.
                            Originally posted by K40
                            To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                            ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Thanks ptlcop, that gave me my answer. And thanks to everyone else who provided info on that situation. No more replies necessary regarding my question are needed. Thanks everyone.

-Crass Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3289 users online. 165 members and 3124 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X