X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
    That doesn't seem right. You should really look into laws about how they distribute comp time. I know that federal law has some different rules for LE over-time, but I am pretty sure the OT payout rate, once that # of hours worked is reached, has to be 1.5x. Trust me, if a municipality can, they _will_ screw LEs over in a heartbeat.
    I think you are probably correct. I asked about it once and the powers to be got all red faced and puffed up. They said something about we are on a six day work week so OT doesn't apply. It didn't really make sense to me. All our other municipal employees here get OT excluding us. The fire guys even get OT. We work six eight's on and three off. I do my six and don't give them anymore unless I have too.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by straycat62 View Post
    We were advise to write Indpls city ordnance violations because this new law doesnot apply to those.
    That's good info.

Leave a comment:

• straycat62
    replied
    We were advise to write Indpls city ordnance violations because this new law doesnot apply to those. They can still hammer them over those. This new law is stupid. Marion County traffic court was back logged 2-3 months easy. 9 times out of 10, you sit there and they pay it before it goes to trial. What a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    Originally posted by j706 View Post
    Our comp time is 1 hour for 1 hour. We don't get time and 1/2 on anything. Problem with comp time here is we are only 25 strong and it is hard to get your owed time off. Most things time and pay are screwed up here. I worked OPO in January (New Years Eve) It took until the last week of February to get paid!

If I could make OT on traffic I would be a one ticket writing fool.
    That doesn't seem right. You should really look into laws about how they distribute comp time. I know that federal law has some different rules for LE over-time, but I am pretty sure the OT payout rate, once that # of hours worked is reached, has to be 1.5x. Trust me, if a municipality can, they _will_ screw LEs over in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
    Comp time isn't too bad, so long as it is issued out at 1.5x, same at most OT rates. I not only get OT, I get a three hour minimum!! I love it when they show up only to see if I show up, then go and pay. I have usually walked out the door within 30 mins. of start time getting paid for three hours.
    Our comp time is 1 hour for 1 hour. We don't get time and 1/2 on anything. Problem with comp time here is we are only 25 strong and it is hard to get your owed time off. Most things time and pay are screwed up here. I worked OPO in January (New Years Eve) It took until the last week of February to get paid!

If I could make OT on traffic I would be a one ticket writing fool.

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    Same here. Another thing that galls me is showing up for trial and the person sees you are there and pays. We do not get OT. Comp time only for us. My solution? I don't do traffic anymore.
    Comp time isn't too bad, so long as it is issued out at 1.5x, same at most OT rates. I not only get OT, I get a three hour minimum!! I love it when they show up only to see if I show up, then go and pay. I have usually walked out the door within 30 mins. of start time getting paid for three hours.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by towncop View Post
    Isn't that kind of doing a disservice to your community? Just asking.
    Yea it probably is. I do traffic, just not like I used to. I just don't write many UTT's anymore unless working project or it is a pretty major violation. If the offense warrants it, I write them. Heck on I-74 I can't hardly work a shift without getting 20 to 30+ over's with routine regularity. Our PO wants us to hook the 28 and overs. Still a UTT but no traffic court of course.
    Last edited by j706; 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• towncop
    replied
    Same here. Another thing that galls me is showing up for trial and the person sees you are there and pays. We do not get OT. Comp time only for us. My solution? I don't do traffic anymore.
    Isn't that kind of doing a disservice to your community? Just asking.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
    Traffic court is a circus. I hate it. I love the guys that want to fight it but have NOTHING to offer as evidence. All they wanted to say was that they did not do it. Haha. Waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• IMPDNE
    replied
    Shortly before the merge I overheard a trial involving a Marion County deputy and a guy he stopped for speeding on Kentucky Av. The deputy said he got the guy on radar at 73mph. I don't remember which part of Kentucky Av it was, so I'm not sure of the speed limit. The guy's defense? He said that a deer was running parallel to the roadway and that was what the deputy got on radar, not his vehicle. The judge didn't agree with his story...

Leave a comment:

• GLHS837
    replied
    Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Typical "defenses" in traffic court:

1) I did it, but I had a good reason.
    2) I was only going 85 in the construction zone, not 86.
    3) I did it, but the officer was rude.
    4) Nuh-uh.
    5) I've never gotten a ticket before, so this one shouldn't count.
    6) I wasn't paying attention.
    7) I Googled some information that says you have to let me off because...

and of course, the biggest one:
    I was hoping the officer wouldn't show up.
    Coworker of mine is in court today to fight two citations One was 55 in a 45, the other was imprudent speed for conditions. This was right after the snowstorm. Story he tells is that the officer was doing 50ish when my coworker passed him on the left. Duh

so, his excuses, in order as he told us he was going to present them. He said he plans to offer to plead guilty to the speeding if they drop the imprudent speed because....

1. I'm from Utah, so my idea of unsafe driving conditions is different
    2. I just had new tires put on the Accord two weeks previous
    3. I have the weather printout from the general aviation airport 1/2 mile away, which shows the weather was great, visibility was unlimited
    4. I'm a trained pilot, with over 1,000 hours, so I know about traction limited conditions better than the officer
    5. The officer had an attitude

I told him he literally has less than a snowballs chance in hell of getting out of either one, he'll be lucky if he gets through his offer, let alone his excuses He really thinks all of this might sway the judge Silly him.

Leave a comment:

• IMPDNE
    replied
    Originally posted by surfer View Post
    A day in court is just another day at work. Just think of all the things you will experience, hear and see while at the circus.
    It is too bad the officer seats don't face the public seating. I would be greatly entertained watching all the people sleep, talk on cell phones, and make out.

For the Marion County officers, how about the entertainment provided by the deputy that runs the metal detector? When I'm 60 I wish I'm half as bad*** as him.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by IPDBrad View Post
    I hate it when I forget reading material at court.

You can only hear idiotic banter for so long.
    I keep an emergency magazine in my trunk, in the same box as my UTT copies. Just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Region Law
    replied
    At this point, the courts just want to see money. We were ordered to write ordinances all the time unless a state UTT was a must. Pretty soon city courts will be like "Cash for gold or Pawn shops". No money? No problem! We'll take that stolen snow blower!!!

Leave a comment:

• IPDBrad
    replied
    I hate it when I forget reading material at court.

You can only hear idiotic banter for so long.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3893 users online. 279 members and 3614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X