300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP Hiring???

First of all I am sure this has been discussed so redirect me if necessary. I applied in the fall, has anyone heard anything regarding test dates or anything? Again sorry if this is a double post.

Apply somewhere else.....ISP is, according to a lot of guys I've talked to, not the place you want to be right now.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

What could be so bad about their department thats different from any other????

Comment

Originally posted by 173rd_the_Herd View Post
        What could be so bad about their department thats different from any other????
        I laughed out loud when I read this post. Dude, have you not been reading the stuff that's been posted about ISP on here the past few weeks?????
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

ISP is no longer....they are now IHP

Where's Officer Ponch and Officer Baker when you need them?!?!?

Comment

SW Indiana, you say that jokingly, but in all seriousness, think of it, how can ISP tell ANY of us that they are still a "full service" agency???? Bulls*[email protected]!!

Evertime troops walk into my PD we're always saying, "Hey, the ISHP is here!" Some get it, some don't. Indiana State Highway Patrol. With these new performance objectives, they might as well cross over.....
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

I don't know crap about them, why do they have such a bad rap?

Comment

I think it is more of a matter of state funding is getting scarce. Dr. Whitesell in my opinion is a top notch administator that still knows what it is like to be a road officer. I am still not sure what to think about all of this info I have been reading over the past few weeks. With all that being said I am happy to be a city officer as the trooper gig is not for me. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmguy23 View Post
                  I think it is more of a matter of state funding is getting scarce. Dr. Whitesell in my opinion is a top notch administator that still knows what it is like to be a road officer.
                  When state funding gets scarce decisions have to be made and it is those decisions that you will be judged by. I respect your opinion, your lack of supporting information makes it a tough sell.

A top notch administrator in my opinion would have looked for ways to trim the fat if and when needed. When an agency trims the fat by laying off 42 civilian MCI's the administration did a poor job finding the fat.

The civilian MCI's probably averaged $13 an hour. The troopers that I have seen take the newly created trooper MCI Monday - Friday day positions make $27 an hour. The civilian MCI's have been trained in numerous specialty areas. They have a plethora of experience. The troopers are 20 plus year road troops that have never pulled a portable scale out on the side of the road to weigh a big rig when the temp is either hot or cold.

The $13 an hour MCI professional inspected school buses in the summer. The $27 an hour trooper will now be inspecting school buses. The civilian MCI had many years of experience. The 20 plus year troopers have none.

Same job MCI, $13 an hour vs. $27 an hour which should be laid off to save money? Do the math

The civilian MCI's or former MCI's are now eligible for unemployment benefits to be paid by the state of Indiana. The unemployment benefits will likely exceed one half of the salary of the laid off MCI for a year or more.

The 20 plus year trooper became a trooper to be a trooper "police" not a school bus inspector weigh station attendant. The civilian MCI took his profession as an MCI out of desire.

A good example is that ISP wanted to incorporate troopers as gaming agents. This ultimate failure was where the easy money was. Gaming enforcement became an embarrassment to ISP. Do I need to explain further! Ironically a good number of the gaming commission cops are retired troops as is their commander.

Over twelve years ago ISP through the lobby of the ISP Alliance attempted a coup of the excise police. The excise police would have been pre 1997 police employees of the ISP. This would have resulted in two separate pay matrices. Care to guess which one would pay more. ISP troops could transfer to the excise enforcement section, end of story.

The excise officers who were equally academy trained with additional specialty training would be treated as seconds. The original excise officers would have been afforded the opportunity to apply to be a trooper like any other person, but not transfer to be a road trooper. In essence ISP said that investigators were not qualified to patrol state and federal highways as the stated primary purpose within title 10. This attempt was met with failure, it was mentioned that a dept. of public safety be formed and ISP lost interest. Another instance of the mentality to conquer for more money to only be rejected due to lies and poor planning.

The states other law enforcement/regulatory agencies conservation, excise and gaming were able to trim the fat and avoid layoffs. Why has ISP not followed suit? The other agencies were able to bite the bullet surviving the budget crisis avoiding layoffs to take care of their own.

I have to ask was the personal use of the troops assigned cars worth the jobs of 42 of their own? Would this be the type of administrator that you would want to work for?

If and/or when the Governor asks for the next round of cuts are you next? If you can rest safely at night knowing that a troop can drive his stripe to Wally world to buy groceries. I hope you are comfortable with the decision of Dr. Whitesell to lay off his own.

The trickle down effect will most likely be seen in the near and distant future with more unsafe commercial vehicles and heavy trucks destroying our roads and highways. Now explain to me where this top notch administrator is saving money?

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    SW Indiana, you say that jokingly, but in all seriousness, think of it, how can ISP tell ANY of us that they are still a "full service" agency???? Bulls*[email protected]!!

Evertime troops walk into my PD we're always saying, "Hey, the ISHP is here!" Some get it, some don't. Indiana State Highway Patrol. With these new performance objectives, they might as well cross over.....
                    LOL, we do the same thing. They all get it...heck, they're usually the first to say, "highway patrol is here."

Comment

The fact is ISP was the premier law enforcement agency in the state in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They did not keep up with the times. They no longer have the best equipment, pay, benefits or people. The have concerned themselves with specializing in everything and excel at nothing. They want to hire college graduates not police officers.

The firearms licensing and gaming boat enforcement are just two examples. I think the state police are doing exactly what they need to do - patrol the highways. Let the locals and other state agencies do what they should be doing. Let the conservation officers deal with meth labs - they are sworn to protect the environment, which is what meth labs do - destroy the environment. Let excise regulate and license firearms - they already are a regulatory agency with a proven track record. Let the locals and counties handle the calls and SWAT callouts. ISP needs to focus on what they were created for - highway safety.

I would never discourage anyone from wanting to join ISP but there are far better departments to work for with a lot less bull.

Comment

Blue Thunder, no BS, excellent first post. I've always been one to wave a flag for ISP, but your post is spot on.

Comment

Maybe ISP is getting things together for a summer/fall academy.

Found this thru trooper.org...

Indiana State Police Seek Recruits for 70th Recruit Academy

The Indiana State Police is now accepting applications for the 70th Recruit Academy. Individuals who are interested in beginning a rewarding career as an Indiana State Trooper may apply online at http://www.in.gov/isp/2368.htm. This website will provide a detailed synopsis of the application process as well as a career with the Indiana State Police Department.

Applications must be received via e-mail by midnight on Sunday, February 28, 2010. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted for the 70th Recruit Academy.

Basic Eligibility Requirements and consideration factors for an Indiana State Trooper:

1. Be a United States citizen.

2. Be at least 21 and less than 40 years old when appointed as a police employee.

3. Have vision correctable to 20/50.

4. Must possess a valid driver's license to operate an automobile.

5. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or GED.

The Indiana State Police Department salary is competitive with the surrounding agencies. A recruit is paid $1,417.40 bi-weekly during the academy training. At the completion of academy training the starting salary is $38,444.00 a year. The Indiana State Police also offers an excellent health care plan, which includes medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along with their families. The Indiana State Police pension program provides a lifetime pension after 25 years of service. Additionally, the Indiana State Police Department provides comprehensive disability coverage and a life insurance program.

Interested applicants can obtain additional information about a career as an Indiana State Trooper by contacting a recruiter at any Indiana State Police Post, or by visiting http://www.in.gov/isp/2365.htm# to find the recruiter assigned to your area.
                          Last edited by Sergeant_92; 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Well this is good news, I actually recieved an email from the out of state recruiter yesterday. He didnt ssay anything significant, only that my app. is on file and they're still accepting apps.

Comment

This is a nice slap in the face to the 42 MCI's that were let go....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5224 users online. 309 members and 4915 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X