300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother @ Work?

I heard some news yesterday from some MCSD guys I know. They told me one of the full time wagon drivers for MCSD is getting transferred to Court Line because he was caught speeding.
    Now, according to those I talked to, there was no complaint called in by either a civilian or another officer or anything. No, this speeding was caught by his wagon's GPS by someone on the dept monitoring it. Not sure if you guys knew, but all the MCSD wagons have GPS in them and I know there is a monitor at MECA that shows their location, etc.
    I do not know how fast he was going or even what street this occurred on, but just wanted to get some thoughts back on this one.

Yeah, I've talked to our wagon driver about it. Only some have the GPS, the new ones do not. They were installed as a result of a news story a couple of years ago when we merged about the long wait time for a wagon. Our control operators do not use it (we only have one driver anyway) but I guess his bosses look at it. I do not mind the GPS, I do have an issue with the micro management that has come from it. There are some GREAT wagon drivers working who are looking to go elsewhere because of it. That is a real shame.

Comment

Of course, MCSD has always been known for micro-managing. But, you are right. I'm sure the good wagon drivers who would be worth keeping will look and ultimately leave, which is a shame.

Comment

Which is why guys fights so hard against GPS monitoring. The officer safety benefits are pretty obvious, but so is the vast micro-management potential.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

The digital A/V equipment my department uses has built in GPS _and_ speedometers. The speedometers is pretty accurate for the most part, however I have found a flaw in it. If I do a quick brake, and come to stop, but quickly give the car gas and get going, the speedometers never displays 0, it always shows some sort of speed, like 2 or 4 MPH. Kinda ticks me off since I could see it being used against an officer. Hopefully the display is just no quick enough to read 0, but the device actually records the complete stop.

Pretty soon, we will all be wearing portable cameras anyway.

Comment

That GPS does a lot. It obviously tells location, speed of the van, can tell if the back doors are open, side doors, or front doors, and can tell when the lights are on. The new vans don't have them, YET. They will be getting them, though.

And FYI, your VRMs in your trunk have a GPS feature, as well.

Comment

Cameras in the wagons are comin soon also. We will be able to watch the prisoners in the back. Don't know were else they will be putting them.

Comment

I've heard the same thing. I think they're going to worry about getting the GPS units on the new vans first, though. But of course they could always change their minds, we know they're good at that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4989 users online. 317 members and 4672 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X