Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy names new public safety director

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...afety-director

Frank Straub, who served as the public safety commissioner in White Plains, N.Y., for the past seven years, on Thursday will be named the city's new public safety director, according to Indianapolis officials.

The guy is all for banning "assault" weapons. He also instituted a big brother/sister\police explorer type program for at risk kids:

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...ssue_id=112008

I have mixed emotions about bringing in an outsider, especially from New York where the gun ban has worked so well (veiled sarcasm), but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Comment

Yeah, but this is an entirely different world. Since he cannot make laws he will have to figure out how to function within the laws we currently have. Only time will tell how he works out. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
        Yeah, but this is an entirely different world. Since he cannot make laws he will have to figure out how to function within the laws we currently have. Only time will tell how he works out. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
        Agreed. It will be nice to have a new set of eyes on Brizzi also

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
        Toby Keith

Comment

I think going outside was really the only option. Most of IMPD has egg on their face at the moment, and naming any of them as your public safety director would have been very, very bad.

I can't think of a single person, at this point, from inside the Indy government that would be good for the position. I think once his tenure at ISP is over, Dr. Whitesell would be an OUTSTANDING candidate for that position.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
            I think going outside was really the only option. Most of IMPD has egg on their face at the moment, and naming any of them as your public safety director would have been very, very bad.

I can't think of a single person, at this point, from inside the Indy government that would be good for the position. I think once his tenure at ISP is over, Dr. Whitesell would be an OUTSTANDING candidate for that position.
            Care to elaborate?

Comment

I don't think you actually meant your post to sound like it does. There are some GREAT people in our dept that would make a very effective public safety director...how do I know? I have worked with/for them. Contrary to popular belief, we are doing quite well with good morale. Being the largest department in the state, we make the news when an officer is found picking his nose in public. There is no egg to be found here. I, along with most everyone I know here, are proud to work for IMPD.

Comment

I I think once his tenure at ISP is over, Dr. Whitesell would be an OUTSTANDING candidate for that position.
                No offense to the Staties but I do not want anything to do with a former ISP Superintendent. Two totally different worlds that require 2 different kinds of policing. I have more to worry about than getting my hat on every time I step out of the car. I like my off-duty work if needed. I also like having a patrol rifle as well as a Taser.

Comment

No offense to the Staties but I do not want anything to do with a former ISP Superintendent. Two totally different worlds that require 2 different kinds of policing. I have more to worry about than getting my hat on every time I step out of the car. I like my off-duty work if needed. I also like having a patrol rifle as well as a Taser.
                  Absolutely Correct with all points!!! I have some good friends that work for ISP. But their brass...A little backward thinking. They need to give their guys the basic tools at the minimum. Get that hat on!!!!
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wow, you show a real lack of knowledge of Whitesell there. His experience ranges FARRRR beyond ISP. He's a nationally recognized expert in police psychology and very well respected in the LE circles as a top flight administrator. He's brought the state police to a new level, and yes, they are being issued Tasers and patrol rifles, albeit at a slow rate since his boss is cutting budgets across the state.

Furthermore, Whitesell's experience at Fort Wayne PD would be a plus, FW is not much different crime wise than Indianapolis.
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                      Care to elaborate?
                      Sure, search the archives of the Indystar for all the dirt that the IMPD brass has had to deal with lately. Some of it has been unwarranted, some of it has been warranted. But for a mayor who wants to look like he's got control over the police department, choosing somebody from inside, amidst all the media and public attention, would have been a bad idea.
                      Last edited by PtlCop; 12-23-2009, 02:11 PM.
                      Originally posted by K40

Comment

I don't think you actually meant your post to sound like it does. There are some GREAT people in our dept that would make a very effective public safety director...how do I know? I have worked with/for them. Contrary to popular belief, we are doing quite well with good morale. Being the largest department in the state, we make the news when an officer is found picking his nose in public. There is no egg to be found here. I, along with most everyone I know here, are proud to work for IMPD.
                        Yeah, I meant it how it sounds. IMPD has had a rough, rough past year or so. Through no fault of the good officers on the department, but as you know, bad seeds ruin it for everyone sometimes, and IMPD, through its size and stature, has seen more than its fair share of bad seeds come to light in the past couple years. Picking his nose in public is a bit ridiculous, but being involved in bar shootings, killing pedestrians with police cars, having sex with prostitutes in schools, running a prostitution ring, the whole federal trial with the drug money thing, 50+ investigated for off duty employment at a metal yard, multiple DUI's, etc all bring a negative image to the agency, from the public. Was it the officers fault the pedestrian stepped in front of her patrol car? Certainly not, but that doesn't matter to the public. It's resulted in, what is in my opinion, a very unfair view on your agency AS A WHOLE. Rather than realizing it's not ALL of IMPD, the public chooses to see the whole department negatively.

Look at Fishers PD, one guy lets a principal off a DUI and they're still dealing with the fall out almost two years later.

Choosing somebody from inside would have been seen, by the public, as "more of the same" from a Mayor who promised his constituents a deviation from the norm. Going outside the agency was his only real option if he wants reelected and wants the public perception of IMPD as a whole to improve.

And no, i'm not trashing your agency, but when you look at it from the point of view of public opinion, an outside hire was the only thing that made sense.
                        Last edited by PtlCop; 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM.
                        Originally posted by K40

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                          Absolutely Correct with all points!!! I have some good friends that work for ISP. But their brass...A little backward thinking. They need to give their guys the basic tools at the minimum. Get that hat on!!!!
                          They are getting the basic tools. Many of the Post 52 Troopers have gotten Tasers and quite a few of them down south have patrol rifles. The problem isn't Whitesell's, it's all of Daniel's budget cuts. You can't get rid of 42 Motor Carrier Inspectors because Daniels wants you to cut money, then spend $700,000 on Tasers, and probably closer to 1.5 mil on rifles during a budget crisis.
                          Originally posted by K40

Comment

Wow, you show a real lack of knowledge of Whitesell there. His experience ranges FARRRR beyond ISP. He's a nationally recognized expert in police psychology and very well respected in the LE circles as a top flight administrator. He's brought the state police to a new level, and yes, they are being issued Tasers and patrol rifles, albeit at a slow rate since his boss is cutting budgets across the state.

Furthermore, Whitesell's experience at Fort Wayne PD would be a plus, FW is not much different crime wise than Indianapolis.
                            You are correct, I have little knowledge of his history. Maybe he is a great leader but I can only judge but what I can see. I'm not saying he's a bad guy but I haven't seen anything special in his managing ISP. We were issued Tasers about 5 yrs ago and we were behind the curve then. Patrol rifles started coming out after Jason was killed for County 8 yrs ago and Jake 5 yrs ago for City and we were both behind the curve getting them out then. ISP drags their feet in getting this stuff to their troops because they are so worried about their image. Image is the greatest worry to their brass. Maybe I'm wrong, it's possible. Don't get me wrong, I could really care less WHO the public safety director is. He/she has little effect to us beat cops. The job never changes and neither does the crime. I do believe that the Mayor, the Public Safety Director, and the City-County Council all have to agree on a new Chief for us so EVEN THAT is not likely to change regardless of who the PS Director is. Oh well, I'll let the politicians worry about such things. I'm busy enough just trying to keep parts of the City from imploding while working short handed.

Comment

Yeah, I meant it how it sounds. IMPD has had a rough, rough past year or so. Through no fault of the good officers on the department, but as you know, bad seeds ruin it for everyone sometimes, and IMPD, through its size and stature, has seen more than its fair share of bad seeds come to light in the past couple years. Picking his nose in public is a bit ridiculous, but being involved in bar shootings, killing pedestrians with police cars, having sex with prostitutes in schools, running a prostitution ring, the whole federal trial with the drug money thing, 50+ investigated for off duty employment at a metal yard, multiple DUI's, etc all bring a negative image to the agency, from the public. Was it the officers fault the pedestrian stepped in front of her patrol car? Certainly not, but that doesn't matter to the public. It's resulted in, what is in my opinion, a very unfair view on your agency AS A WHOLE. Rather than realizing it's not ALL of IMPD, the public chooses to see the whole department negatively.

Look at Fishers PD, one guy lets a principal off a DUI and they're still dealing with the fall out almost two years later.

Choosing somebody from inside would have been seen, by the public, as "more of the same" from a Mayor who promised his constituents a deviation from the norm. Going outside the agency was his only real option if he wants reelected and wants the public perception of IMPD as a whole to improve.

And no, i'm not trashing your agency, but when you look at it from the point of view of public opinion, an outside hire was the only thing that made sense.
                              Yeah I know. Sadly we have grown used to the bad PR and work under the guise that just about everyone hates us and little can be done to change that. Once you realize that, life gets easier.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5148 users online. 328 members and 4820 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X