300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Instructor Development Course”

Does anyone have any tips,suggestions or words of advice regarding this course? I have heard that it is a relatively tough class. Any advice would be appreciated.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Id

It wasn't too bad of a class. I had it at IMPD and learned a lot. My advice is not to play around when it comes to the lessons. Take you time and plan a good lesson (powerpoint and lesson plan). Out of 20, we had 1 fail and 3 or 4 have to do their lesson plan over again. Good luck.

Comment

Not a bad class at all, like central said, make sure your serious on your presentations and lessons.. I had a blast when I took it ohhhhh so many years ago!!!!
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

If you take it at ILEA, it is a hard course because you have Capt. Hollowell breathing down your neck and all of your ducks have to be in a row when it comes to your lesson plan and outline. Period. If you have it off-site, it's more relaxed, however, you still can't skimp when it comes to those things as all the paperwork goes through him to be graded.

Instructor development is one of the very few classes in Indiana law enforcement you can't just sit through and get a certificate for. You have to put your nose in the books and computer and put together good material.

K9krazy21.....hooooooow long ago did you take I.D.? I was there back in '01. Curious if we were in the same class.
        Last edited by towncop; 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM.
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Took my IDC about 12 years ago at ILEA, but I understand a lot has changed since then. It was still a good class, but I understand it is a bit tougher nowadays.

DRE was the only other class I have taken as a cop that wasn't a "freebie"

Comment

Disturbed, I agree with you, it is a good class. A guy I used to work with at another agency went and the entire week he was crying about how picky they were in regards to out presentations and outlines. Said that after he left, he would NEVER do an outline/coversheet if tasked with a class. Needless to say, he never re-certified his instructor card.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

Getting my hours at my last department was always easy. Since moving to IMPD, it requires a lot more creativity in scheduling. I've almost missed out a couple of years, especially since they switched from x number of hours every 3 years, to x number of hours every year. Still, would not want to go through the recert if I lost it.

Comment

Disturbed, I just came back from Firearms school and we were told that it "WAS" 12 hours per year for 36 hrs in a 3 year period. I'm talking about general instructor too, not Firearms instructor. Now, it is just 36 hrs in 3 years. Doesn't matter how much you teach in one year or the other, as long as you send in 36 hrs at the end of the 3 years.

Trust me, this is the first thing I asked Capt. Hollowell when I was up there 2 weeks ago because I couldn't teach ANY HOURS at all during 2007 (chief thought I was looking to jump ship). He said I was good as long as I got the 36 by my expiration date.

Also, when IMPD is putting on Instructor Development, they are making the guys send in their lesson plans and all that crap.....ILEA said that they didn't want it and had no idea why IMPD was making them send that stuff???? I dunno. I was just listening.
                Last edited by towncop; 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Town, I took it in 2001 in Elkhart... Northwest Indiana Training Council put it on..

Not to bad, im sure it wasn't anything like having CPT. Hollowell..

The hardest class I have ever taken was DRE.. I would do ID 100 times over

Comment

Towncop - I am a small cog in a very big wheel. I just do what I'm told Last word I got was 12 hrs every year, if you didn't get them, you were done. I learned long ago there was no winning the battle against the civilians in the training office, no matter how right you are.

K9 - Couldn't agree more. DRE was no joke. Had a blast at the class, but the required evals were a pain to get. Still, the best class I have been to, though.

Comment

I went through back in 98 when it was just a week long class and a 50min presentation on the last day. You walked out with your certification. Now I think you have to do a certain amount of teaching before they give you the credit. I only went through to be a firearms instructor, which I still am. I did not have much interest in teaching anything else. However, I am currently going through our Combatives Instructors Class this week. It won't be long until ILETB certifies that class as a psycho-motor skill (DT's) so I will be teaching 2 psycho-motor skills and I believe that they go hand-in-hand. That reminds me how friggin sore I am right now...
                      Last edited by MCSD241; 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

MCSD, do you mean QCC through Doc Whitesell?? That is a psychomotor, I went through it last year..

Comment

Yeah, there is NO MORE PPCT taught at ILEA. PPC was sold to Dept. of Homeland Security and Dr. Whitesell made a LOAF off of it. He's now teaching that QCC stuff and it's what the Basic's and the "other" guys will be going through.

Comment

Thanks guys. How the heck am I supposed to speak for fifty (50) minutes on traffic control is beyond me. I am dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. Like MCSD241 and others stated, I really only want to do the firearms. This class will be off site.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                              I only went through to be a firearms instructor, which I still am.
                              Don't remind me...I didn't learn a thing from you!! Just kidding buddy.

I have tried to be a firearms instructor twice now. I just can't pass the qualification course. I shoot way too fast, plus I just can't shoot a Glock that accurately. I pretty much hit the target with all rounds, but just don't get them grouped enough. When I first went through, I had my HK and actually got enough rounds on the first round. I had no additional training like I did with the Glock. Now that I got another HK, I wouldn't mind trying again...but now if your an instructor at our department, they want you to teach all kinds of things...and I believe be an FTO as well (not sure on this part). I really only want to do firearms, and I definitely don't want to do FTO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5503 users online. 307 members and 5196 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X