Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PtlCop
    Originally posted by ME
    That's not what the USSC said. Although the Police don't have a general duty to preserve public safety that is applicable in every situation, in many specific situations at which you are present, you may have a duty to act to keep the peace.
    From Warren v. District of Columbia, just one of MANY HUNDREDS of cases where it has been affirmed that the police have no duty to protect any citizen...

"it is a fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen."
    This refers to a general duty to provide police protection, which I acknowledged the Police to not have. Members of the public do not, on the grounds that the police should have protected them, have a right to bring action against the government every time someone victimizes them. I was referring to a specific duty that you have to exercise due diligence to preserve the peace in situations in which you are present and able to intervene against impeaceable conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
      This refers to a general duty to provide police protection, which I acknowledged the Police to not have. Members of the public do not, on the grounds that the police should have protected them, have a right to bring action against the government every time someone victimizes them. I was referring to a specific duty that you have to exercise due diligence to preserve the peace in situations in which you are present and able to intervene against impeaceable conduct.
      Wrong again, there was a case, the exact name of which eludes me, but it was somebody against the city of Atlanta, where it was held that an officer has no duty to act to prevent a crime from happening.
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

What the Court has held is that the Police have a duty to preserve the peace but not a duty to protect any specific individual.

Comment

Actually, i'm done proving you wrong. I'm not sure what you're trying to pose as here, but it's failing miserably.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Comment

Perhaps some spanking is in order

Comment

Yeah, about that list of exceptions..........

Comment

...Yeahhhh..... adeckard, the excerpt from the IC code in the beginning is what is correct. If you can find it buried deep in the legal debate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4734 users online. 301 members and 4433 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X