300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 1500 Gun Show Prices

I've been attending these since the mid 80's, but has anyone recently noticed the terrible prices and quality of ammo? I had several men from church that did a little detective work, and priced several handguns at Plainfield Firearms, and they actually raised their prices by about $30 on many of their handguns for the show, and much of the ammo looked like it had been stored in a basement since 1950. Im my opinion, unless your looking for an AR or parts, the 1500 is a waste of time and money. Anyone else?

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

The last thing I bought at the 1500 was the Surefire for my AR, before Surefire lost their mind. I go occasionally to browse, but other than that, prices have been horrible for years. I find much better deals at Elmore's or online, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Post Deleted.
      Last edited by IndySoldier1983; 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
        I've been attending these since the mid 80's, but has anyone recently noticed the terrible prices and quality of ammo? I had several men from church that did a little detective work, and priced several handguns at Plainfield Firearms, and they actually raised their prices by about $30 on many of their handguns for the show, and much of the ammo looked like it had been stored in a basement since 1950. Im my opinion, unless your looking for an AR or parts, the 1500 is a waste of time and money. Anyone else?
        I stopped regularly going to the 1500 when people seemed to go crazy about guns and ammo. It is now like $8.00 to get in plus $3.00 to park. The past two years or so it has been a madhouse. Over the last five years (maybe longer) it has become more flea market than anything else. The last two firearms I purchased at an Indy 1500 were back in Jan. of 2005, and they were decent deals. Since then, I haven't seen many decent deals there at all. Not only that, of the maybe five firearms I purchased at the show over the years, I think three were from local stores I could have easily driven to. The others were from stores that would have been a little bit further drive, but still not that bad.

I have found more and more the way to go is GunBroker. I know an Indy FFL who will do transfers for $15.00. My old FFL, if they are still around, used to do them for only $10.00. I find much better deals on-line than at any gun store or show. If I go to the show, it is to make a planned purchase, and only if I think I will find what I am looking for at a reasonable price. Anymore I think the hours I will spend driving to the show, walking around the show, and driving home would be better spent divided up and used searching Gunbroker for a few seconds every day, waiting for that good deal that gets listed.

Comment

Oh, there is also a very popular Indiana Gun Owners forum. They have an entire section devoted to private party sales. There have been some really good deals posted there.

Comment

I've never been impressed with gun show prices. Only reason I used to go was for powder and brass, and since I haven't reloaded in quite a awhile I don't even bother with that any more.

Only gun I was ever really tempted to buy was a double barrel black powder 8 gauge antique shotgun for $300. Seemed like a deal, but then I thought how much the medical bills to set my shoulder would be and took a pass.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

A few other Officers and myself went and actually got a great deal on a 3rd Generation Glock 22 - $325 dollars. Probably the best deal I've seen while there.

We were also able to get our Glocks completely tore down and cleaned for free. I am new to the whole gun show scene but really like what I saw and was able to buy the rest of the equipment I needed for my duty belt. My first shift is Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post

Only gun I was ever really tempted to buy was a double barrel black powder 8 gauge antique shotgun for $300. Seemed like a deal, but then I thought how much the medical bills to set my shoulder would be and took a pass.
                You would appreciate the new Western "Appaloosa" then!

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleHead08 View Post
                  A few other Officers and myself went and actually got a great deal on a 3rd Generation Glock 22 - $325 dollars. Probably the best deal I've seen while there.
                  New or used? How many mags? Police officers (and other public safety and military) can get brand new Glocks with three magazines for just over $400.00. Not as great of deal as $325, but still a decent deal.

Originally posted by KnuckleHead08 View Post
                  My first shift is Halloween.
                  Maybe your first arrest will be this guy:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6471 users online. 354 members and 6117 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X