300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler University Hiring

I saw on Career Builder that Butler University is hiring Police Officers. Anyone know what that Dept is like?

Not a bad dept. Pay I think starts off in the low 30's but they work a lot with the area Metro Officers and patrol the surrounding neighborhoods together. I know Ben, the Chief, and he's an alright guy to work for.

Comment

Not sure how Butler is, but for some universities, you are a university employee first, police officer second. University policing can be very controlled, and there is a lot more politics than one would think. Some chiefs bow down to everyone (deans, profs., etc.) while others will only answer to the higher-ups. I feel there is a lot of liability working for a university PD, especially one that doesn't offer their officers to have their attorney's present for some things (ie: Internal complaints, etc.). Also, while you may be able to work off-duty, one university I know of won't cover your medical. Your own private health care may also not cover you since you were working as a private contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
        University policing can be very controlled, and there is a lot more politics than one would think. Some chiefs bow down to everyone
        Same problems exist with Town Marshal's and Town Boards/ Managers!

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
        Toby Keith

Comment

University Policing

One incredible fringe benefit is that alot of universities (Butler included last I heard) will give your kids free tuition! You're talking about major bucks especially at Butler. So if you have kids, keep in mind that some universities may not pay as much as some other agencies, but you big payday may come when your kids are ready to go to college!

Comment

Is Butler a place where guys go to get the Academy and then move on, or do they have pretty solid staffing?

I think I have seen them hiring an awful lot in the last few years!!
            "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
              Is Butler a place where guys go to get the Academy and then move on, or do they have pretty solid staffing?

I think I have seen them hiring an awful lot in the last few years!!
              The only university department that I know where a majority of the people stay is Purdue. I hear Notre Dame is now up there in pay, so I could see a lot of those officers staying on. Usually, if a college/univ. PD is paying $50K to an officer with five years or so (or with degree, previous experiences, etc.), it is more likely the officer will stay. When you are a university department, and you want people who can think like a cop (for fear of repercussions for ticking off the university faculty or staff), but understand they are basically security with badge, that takes money. IUPUI tops out at $42K, no take-home, restricted off-duty work, etc.. I hear Butler got a raise to where they are close to what IUPUI is paying. Marian University and Univ. of Indianapolis, last I hear, pay around $15/hr tops. Yet they want the same quality applicants, if not better, than all the surrounding muni agencies want. Well, when we have all the major departments in Hamilton Co., Marion Co., and Greenwood paying close to $50K-$60K/year, plus a take home...guess where those officers are likely going to end up.

Most universities end up with officers who:
              #1:Spouses make big money, so why leave a very easy job.
              #2:Are too old for the police/fire PERF
              #3:For whatever reason, can't get through a hiring process at one of the other agencies (bad test taker, out of shape and can't pass the PA test, not good at interviews, etc.).
              #4:Sometimes the economy is such that agencies aren't hiring, and good university officers that would have been able to leave unfortunately hit that magical PERF age and are stuck.
              #5:Made it on at other agencies in the past, but can't hack the job, but can handle the job at a university with a much lower run load, or have a majority of runs that are not as complex as one would get in a municipality.
              #6:Person is lazy, doesn't care about money, and likes the lower/easier run load university policing offers.
              #7:There are actually officers that are not lazy, would make good officers at other departments, but actually enjoy working the university environment.
              #8:Get into LE later in life, blast past the magic age, and are stuck.

It can be one of the above, or a combination. I really don't know that many who fall solely into #7, but they are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                The only university department that I know where a majority of the people stay is Purdue. I hear Notre Dame is now up there in pay, so I could see a lot of those officers staying on. Usually, if a college/univ. PD is paying $50K to an officer with five years or so (or with degree, previous experiences, etc.), it is more likely the officer will stay. When you are a university department, and you want people who can think like a cop (for fear of repercussions for ticking off the university faculty or staff), but understand they are basically security with badge, that takes money. IUPUI tops out at $42K, no take-home, restricted off-duty work, etc.. I hear Butler got a raise to where they are close to what IUPUI is paying. Marian University and Univ. of Indianapolis, last I hear, pay around $15/hr tops. Yet they want the same quality applicants, if not better, than all the surrounding muni agencies want. Well, when we have all the major departments in Hamilton Co., Marion Co., and Greenwood paying close to $50K-$60K/year, plus a take home...guess where those officers are likely going to end up.

Most universities end up with officers who:
                #1:Spouses make big money, so why leave a very easy job.
                #2:Are too old for the police/fire PERF
                #3:For whatever reason, can't get through a hiring process at one of the other agencies (bad test taker, out of shape and can't pass the PA test, not good at interviews, etc.).
                #4:Sometimes the economy is such that agencies aren't hiring, and good university officers that would have been able to leave unfortunately hit that magical PERF age and are stuck.
                #5:Made it on at other agencies in the past, but can't hack the job, but can handle the job at a university with a much lower run load, or have a majority of runs that are not as complex as one would get in a municipality.
                #6:Person is lazy, doesn't care about money, and likes the lower/easier run load university policing offers.
                #7:There are actually officers that are not lazy, would make good officers at other departments, but actually enjoy working the university environment.
                #8:Get into LE later in life, blast past the magic age, and are stuck.

It can be one of the above, or a combination. I really don't know that many who fall solely into #7, but they are out there.
                Were you with a university PD? I was for 16 years and things weren't and aren't how you describe. My experience was very different.
                Last edited by Ten Six; 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
                  Were you with a university PD? I was for 16 years and things weren't and aren't how you describe. My experience was very different.
                  He still is. IUPUI PD. We used to work together. What he says is true for IUPUI.

Comment

*Shhhhhhhhhhhhh* Don't get him started on take home cars!!
                    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

That is good info to know. I know I'm past the magic age because I started later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                        I thought IUPUI issued rickshaws

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                          Not a bad dept. Pay I think starts off in the low 30's but they work a lot with the area Metro Officers and patrol the surrounding neighborhoods together. I know Ben, the Chief, and he's an alright guy to work for.
                          Chief Hunter was one of my Explorers, back in the day.

Comment

Chief Hunter was one of my Explorers, back in the day.
                            He was first FTO at IUPUI...back in the day but not as far back as you I guess...haha.

Comment

But if I recall, you left...right?

The larger the university, the more on-campus living, the bigger the athletics, then you are likely to have better paid officers. The smaller universities, and those who are commuter based, almost zero athletic events, don't usually want to pay the money that surrounding agencies are paying. I am lucky enough to make about $12K in OT, and that is usually because one great benefit of working for a university is their sick time is great. A lot of folks usually only have a day or two of sick time in their bank, I have over 300 hours!! So while they are calling in sick, I am "working" doubles. The flip side of working for a smaller university is that you really aren't that busy. There is a plan to hire more officers, which means my OT is going to get hit...hard. I just can't take that kind of hit, so I am finally looking...in the middle of a property tax issue that is causing budget cuts no less. If I had the football and basketball games, and the abundant OT those events usually provide, it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Oh, then there is always this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZHnB3jyrHI

He still is. IUPUI PD. We used to work together. What he says is true for IUPUI.
                              Which is likely why you and what, say about 30 ILEA certified folks, have left. It is likely much more than that though. I would have to sit down and seriously think out the list.

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                              Not all of us can be married to lawyers!!

If I were a trust fund baby, I wouldn't worry too much, but if the car is worth $2,500/year in benefits (gas, oil changes, insurance), and I plan on working 30 years, then that is $75,000 over the course of a career that stays in my bank account. I dunno about you, but that is a _significant_ amount of money to me. I really don't care to drive the car all over town on my days off, but for me, it would be a huge benefit as a back and forth to work vehicle. Plus, I wouldn't have to deal with the horrors of pool vehicles.

I thought IUPUI issued rickshaws
                              I am surprised more universities haven't gotten their cops in those sub-compact electric cars, considering how big they are on the environment and sustainability. The parking dept. at IUPUI have been using those for a while now.

He was first FTO at IUPUI...back in the day but not as far back as you I guess...haha.
                              Dang, that was a _long_ time ago. That means you gotta be approaching the big 4-0?
                              Last edited by Dwntwn317; 10-31-2009, 05:29 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3366 users online. 159 members and 3207 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X