300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything Open On The East Side?

Just wondered if there are any openings on the east side, say from Greenfield to Richmond? I got laid off last week from my Dept in MI and my family offered me a house near New Castle. The only problem I'm running into right now is a lot of Dept's participating in the state retirement program. I don't qualify, being 42 years old.

Try county departments

Comment

Originally posted by Ejohnson View Post
      Just wondered if there are any openings on the east side, say from Greenfield to Richmond? I got laid off last week from my Dept in MI and my family offered me a house near New Castle. The only problem I'm running into right now is a lot of Dept's participating in the state retirement program. I don't qualify, being 42 years old.
      County departments are your best bet, but I hear every department has budget issues. Richmond PD was in some serious financial troubles, so how good could the rest of the county be? You also need to look at the college and universities in the area.

Call Indiana University-East (located in Richmond) and see if they plan on hiring soon (they only have like six or so officers).

Ball State is a much larger university. They recently were taking applications. Starting pay was around $17/hour, and I would think there is a lot of OT available.

If I were you, I would call both the university PDs. It seems the smaller departments that don't pay much usually don't get the greatest applicant pool. Not only that, someone your age they view as a "lifer," and they will like if you have been to the academy.

Also, if you are willing to drive to Greenfield, then look at McCordsville PD. Greenfield is in the center of Hancock County, McCordsville PD is in the NW part of the county. Here is the link. I believe they are on the regular state pension plan, so they have no age limit (at least that they post). Here is their website, click on link at the left for application information.
      http://www.mccordsville.org/department/?fDD=3-0 Wanted to add that I said McCordsville because they have been advertising they are taking applications..not sure if the close date has passed or not.

Also look at the towns of New Palestine, Lapel, Fortville, Knightstown and Pendleton. A lot of the smaller towns have not made the jump to the police/fire PERF, thus no age cap. Look on a map and call around to the smaller towns/cities, see what they have to offer. Your best pay for someone of your age is either going to be a county department or a larger college/university department.
      Last edited by Dwntwn317; 09-15-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I did check into Henry County S.O., but they have the PERF. I think I may just take a day or two and blanket the whole area with my resumes in person. I'll also check McCordsville in the morning.
        I have been thru an Academy here in Michigan, and was employed for a little over 2 years before I was cut.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I did check into Henry County S.O., but they have the PERF.
          You may already know this, but everyone has "PERF." The difference is there is a basic state "PERF" that has no age limit. It is what your basic state employee gets. Many of the public university/college police are under this PERF, hence they have no age limit. Most of your Sheriff's Departments and small town PDs/Marshalls are also under this plan. This is a typical "30 year retirement" plan.

Then there is Police and Firefighter's PERF. This is the one where most of the bigger cities and towns use. It is a 20 year retirement plan and the one with the age cap of 35.

There are also PERFs for Judges, prosecutors, conservation officers, etc..
          So if you are calling asking "Are you under PERF?" Chances are you are going to get a "Yes." 100% of the time. Just make sure to specify which PERF. I am surprised that Henry Co. is with the police/fire, not many county departments offer that pension plan (it costs more).

Comment

I did not know there were different incarnations of PERF. I'll call Henry Co. and ask which one they have.
            BTW, I did apply to Ball State this week. I found the ad on a state website.
            Thanks again

Comment

I did not know there were different incarnations of PERF. I'll call Henry Co. and ask which one they have.
              BTW, I did apply to Ball State this week. I found the ad on a state website.
              Thanks again
              Do your best with the Ball State process, as I am telling you that university departments _love_ guys like you. Have past history in the job (if you were a municipal LEO, they like that better, but hope you can make the "transition" to university), an academy training certificate that will likely transfer, and you are of the age where your options are very limited in Indiana.

Things to focus on:
              #1: Education--Remember, Ball State is a _business_ more than a government agency. Their business is higher education. If you don't have a degree, explain why and seriously consider at least going to get a two year degree. My guess is their benefits are they will pay for some of it anyway.

#2: With your age, they are going to wonder if you are a jumper or not. Be ready to explain if you jump from job to job, especially police jobs. Sometimes this hurts people, other times departments are so desperate for bodies, they will look past this, figuring two years with a good officer is much better than three years with a screw up who ends up getting the dept./university sued.

#3: Speaking of lawsuits, universities are really nervous about police lawsuits. These sorts of organizations are really big on group think. They love to form committees and throw ideas around. This is good for some things, but unfortunately if you have people who think this is a great way to run a place, they may not understand the quick decisions that need to be made by officers. The committees may come up with some really silly policies for the university police. If you can't follow them, then this job isn't for you. If you are laid back, understand this isn't municipal policing, and just follow _their_ rules, regardless of how silly/crazy they are, then university policing (at some places) should be OK for you. Some universities micro-manage as much as possible, some are mid-way, and others are basically just like city/county PDs and they don't care what people think about them arresting students, interrupting class to serve warrants, etc..

If you haven't already, do some research on BSU. They had a really young rookie officer involved in a police action. Basically, a student, believed to be _very_ intoxicated, manged to make his way from the bar area to a residential area. It is believed he mistook a home for the place he was too crash. He started banging on the back door, trying to force it open. Old lady in home calls neighbor, then 911. It was in Muncie PD jurisdiction, but BSU PD officers responded. This officer, who hadn't even been to the academy, but had completed field training and was by himself, went around back. Officer claims student ran towards him while officer had his gun out _and_ gave commands. Officer shoots student four times, student died. Massive lawsuit, took six or seven years to finally make it to court. Entire jury rules in favor of the officer.

For years, the department was in damage control. A few student protests, students saying "DON'T SHOOT" when they saw the police, etc.. Thankfully universities and college totally change every four years. Things are not as bad from what I read on-line. The student population who was really involved in this issue has graduated and moved on in life.

Just some background on the department. Their starting pay really shocked me. I bet you top out is now at $20/hr. or over, which is _very_ good given the size of Ball State. Also, if you are looking to work your way up into supervisory positions, the pay and benefits can get really good.

Good luck.

Comment

sounds good. I've spent the past 2 years or so doing local policing in the County Parks. Most of it is PR, making people feel welcome and safe in the Parks. I've had to lay down the law a few times. The day before my last day, I had a pursuit with a DUI driver, but thankfully he decided to stop after 3 miles.
                Believe me, I know about micro-management. Our Parks Police board was full of it. But, I just roll with it.
                At this stage, I'm looking for a place I can retire from. I don't want to bounce around.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                  County departments are your best bet, but I hear every department has budget issues. Richmond PD was in some serious financial troubles, so how good could the rest of the county be? You also need to look at the college and universities in the area.

Call Indiana University-East (located in Richmond) and see if they plan on hiring soon (they only have like six or so officers).

Ball State is a much larger university. They recently were taking applications. Starting pay was around $17/hour, and I would think there is a lot of OT available.

If I were you, I would call both the university PDs. It seems the smaller departments that don't pay much usually don't get the greatest applicant pool. Not only that, someone your age they view as a "lifer," and they will like if you have been to the academy.

Also, if you are willing to drive to Greenfield, then look at McCordsville PD. Greenfield is in the center of Hancock County, McCordsville PD is in the NW part of the county. Here is the link. I believe they are on the regular state pension plan, so they have no age limit (at least that they post). Here is their website, click on link at the left for application information.
                  http://www.mccordsville.org/department/?fDD=3-0 Wanted to add that I said McCordsville because they have been advertising they are taking applications..not sure if the close date has passed or not.

Also look at the towns of New Palestine, Lapel, Fortville, Knightstown and Pendleton. A lot of the smaller towns have not made the jump to the police/fire PERF, thus no age cap. Look on a map and call around to the smaller towns/cities, see what they have to offer. Your best pay for someone of your age is either going to be a county department or a larger college/university department.
                  I work in Wayne County. IUPD-East, WCSD, RPD are not hiring. WCSD just hired two and have a list, RPD and IUPD (entire dept not just the East Div) are under a hiring freeze. WCSD likes to hire from the jail division and IUPD East likes to hire experienced officers. Pickens are slim here.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on Wayne County. I called Richmond PD and they told me the same thing. If I do take a civilian job for a while, do you know how long a department will still accept my creditentials?
                    The reason I ask is because if my wife loses her job, I'm going to have to move. I won't be able to afford to stay here in MI. As it is, I'm losing money but at a slower rate right now.

Comment

Well, got a card from Ball State stating that they received my packet after the deadline and will not consider me. That bites!! I know I sent it with plenty of time to arrive. Thanks USPS!!
                      I'm going to call them and see if I can get them to accept it.

Comment

Sent an E-mail. they say that the HR dept. will not change their mind. So, I sent an E-mail to the Chief of Police there. Maybe he can do something.
                        HR told me that the deadline was 5:00pm on the 17th, and my packet was there the morning of the 18th. AArrgggh!!

Comment

Anything open?

Comment

Check out Butler University PD they are hiring I believe. Also check out the local school police depts they may be looking for police officers aswell.

Comment

http://www.butler.edu/hr/?pg=394&navID=1921

POLICE OFFICER
                              Butler University seeks professional candidates for a Police Officer position to serve the campus and neighboring community. Responsibilities include: Perform functions related to preservation of public peace and order, the prevention of crime, apprehension of offenders, the protection of people and property, the enforcement of the laws of the State of Indiana and the ordinances of the City of Indianapolis and the rules and regulations of Butler University. Respond to customer requests and provide security services. Participates in Community Policing programs and presentations and works collaboratively with other police agencies in resolving problems and enhancing community relations. The successful candidate must be able to show evidence of strong oral and written communication skills, provide a physician's certificate of health documenting the ability to meet the physical demands of the job and pass a written exam, physical agility test, drug screen, psychological assessment and background check. Prior law enforcement experience or college course work is requested, with campus law enforcement experience preferred and ILEA certification desired.

To apply: Please visit careerbuilder.com and search keywords “Butler University.” Please include your resume, and a cover letter.

From their CB page:

Job Description

POLICE OFFICER

Butler University seeks professional candidates for a Police Officer position to serve the campus and neighboring community. Responsibilities include: Perform functions related to preservation of public peace and order, the prevention of crime, apprehension of offenders, the protection of people and property, the enforcement of the laws of the State of Indiana and the ordinances of the City of Indianapolis and the rules and regulations of Butler University. Respond to customer requests and provide security services. Participates in Community Policing programs and presentations and works collaboratively with other police agencies in resolving problems and enhancing community relations. The successful candidate must be able to show evidence of strong oral and written communication skills, provide a physician's certificate of health documenting the ability to meet the physical demands of the job and pass a written exam, physical agility test, drug screen, psychological assessment and background check. Prior law enforcement experience or college course work is requested, with campus law enforcement experience preferred and ILEA certification desired.

To apply: Please include your resume, and a cover letter.

------------------------

I wonder what BU is paying nowadays. They used to pay squat, but got a decent raise a few years back. I think they would need to at least top out in the low $40s to really pull from IUPUI, Marian University, or Univ. of Indianapolis.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4920 users online. 273 members and 4647 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X