Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana State Police - "Tasers too much of a liability"

Taken from the Indiana Troopers Association website:

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA---Despite a recent string of violent attacks on Indiana State Police troopers, the agency said outfitting its force with Tasers would be too much of a liability.

A man scuffled with a trooper on Indianapolis' south side Monday night, while, last month, a trooper was attacked as she tried to arrest a man suspected of driving under the influence.

In May, an ISP trooper couldn't subdue a suspect until a local police officer shocked him with his department-issued Taser.

In the Midwest, only Indiana and Illinois state police departments do not issue Tasers, while those in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky do.

ISP does provide its SWAT officers with Tasers, but not all troopers. Sgt. Dave Bursten said the device is just another weapon that could be turned against them in an altercation.

"We don't feel that that's one more piece of liability we need to bring to everybody on the department," he said.

Seven other law enforcement agencies in central Indiana provide officers with Tasers as an alternative to deadly force.

Indianapolis police Lt. Jeff Duhamell said he believes the device can help save officers' lives.

"I think they can," he said. "We find it to be a very effective tool."

The ISP is considering outfitting Capitol Police with Tasers, but even with more funding, Bursten said adding them to the belts of troopers would need further review.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

This type of reasoning is but one reason why I would never work for ISP. Worried ---more---about liability than the lives of your people. Why would you not want your people to have every option available?

Comment

They probably can't find a high gloss holster for the tasers. Can't break tradition.
      The old Miller76. I lost my password.

~Sometimes there is justice, sometimes there is Just us!~

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Comment

That is sad, just sad. I.....I can't find the words.
        "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Wow....I'd take the "too much of a liability" comment as a slap in the face. Must not trust the troops with them...or it's an excuse made up instead of stating they don't have the money.

About as dumb as not allowing the motor carriers to carry guns. Probably take a shot M.C. to change that policy.

Comment

Some Lawyer somewhere in Indiana is going to take that policy, and turn it around on ISP, and soak them in a excessive force/wrongful death lawsuit.

TASER's hurt alot, but then the pain goes away. Batons or Bullets tend to cause real damage that is harder to justify/defend.

Just saying.
            -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
              Sgt. Dave Bursten said the device is just another weapon that could be turned against them in an altercation.
              Did Bursten really say this, or anything remotely like this? If so, how silly. I guess using that logic, we should take away their guns?

Originally posted by towncop View Post
              The ISP is considering outfitting Capitol Police with Tasers, but even with more funding, Bursten said adding them to the belts of troopers would need further review.
              What? Are the state elected elite so out-of-control that Capitol PD needs tasers??

Originally posted by SW Indiana View Post
              Wow....I'd take the "too much of a liability" comment as a slap in the face. Must not trust the troops with them...or it's an excuse made up instead of stating they don't have the money.

About as dumb as not allowing the motor carriers to carry guns. Probably take a shot M.C. to change that policy.
              The problem is that as long as there are people out there _willing_ to do the job in that fashion, nothing will change. I guess there are some folks out there who rank their personal safety really low when compared to a paycheck, badge, etc.. There were some big name university PDs like this, but I think there is only one really decent size college where unarmed cops are still the norm. Again, if people are willing to do it, nothing will change.

I couldn't be a state trooper anyway. Not enough back-up close by for me. I am willing to take some risk, but what I see troopers doing in some areas, that is just too much risk for me. The reward just isn't there. If I were a state trooper and just read this, I would be apt to not fight people who were just trying to get away. Just let them run (on foot) and hope that you can find enough evidence to ID them and get a warrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                Did Bursten really say this, or anything remotely like this? If so, how silly. I guess using that logic, we should take away their guns?
                No Dwntwn, I just made it up because I have a personal grudge against him. I clearly posted at the beginning of the thread that this came directly from the ITA's website.

With that said, all of the troops I work with down here want the Tasers. Frankly, from what I hear, it ****es them off that ERT can have them, but they can't. We had a trooper here a few months ago that was in a fight for his life with a suspect. The troop was able to get help from the guys looking for him because he was able to fire his gun so they could find him.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by celticpilot View Post
                  Some Lawyer somewhere in Indiana is going to take that policy, and turn it around on ISP, and soak them in a excessive force/wrongful death lawsuit.
                  We were told that this was actually happening (ie PD's being sued for not having tasers as an option) before our dept. started to widely issue tasers.
                  "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Keep in mind gents that "Doc" can take out a car load with his handcuff key!!!!!

Doc has always been pro use of force when it's needed from my experience with him. I have taken several CQC classes that he has put on. This is really the last thing I thought I would see. I was almost certain the troops would be getting them!!!

I highly doubt that he has the mindset that if he doesn't need a taser, his troops sure don't.

any other thoughts on what I've said above?

Doc, has always impressed me with his mentality when it comes to protecting his troops...

Is there more to the story???
                    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Sad just sad. Again, political hacks would rather have hurt/dead cops than protection. I guess they don't realize that the Taser could KEEP the officer from being disarmed, etc. Man I thought Illinois was spineless, but to know Indiana is like this, just no reason for it. Is Indiana State Police unionized or have any protection? If so I hope an insane amount of noise is made about this.
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

From my own experience the Taser leaves both parties, the cop and the suspect, less likely to sustain injuries than the other available options. I've yet to see someone lose teeth or break a bone during giving or taking a Tasing. Just sayin'.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

On a side note, this is one the few pro Taser media pieces I've ever seen.

Comment

To Miller87, That was very funny!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!

Comment

Keep in mind ISP is buying 400 Beneli shotguns and DOES not issue rifles. In today's law enforcement world,not providing Tasers is negligent. Silly IMO.
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3046 users online. 138 members and 2908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X