300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurisdictional Boundaries

Today I was driving on County Line Rd, eastbound, on the Greenwood/Johnson County side. On the westbound Indy/Marion County side I see 2 Greenwood officers running radar for westbound traffic. I was under the assumption that IMPD officers couldn't write tickets on the Johnson Co side, and the Johnson County agencies couldn't write tickets on the Marion County side. Am I mistaken? Is the line a free for all for anyone or what? I have no problem with it, just wondering how it works.

I think it's like Carroll Rd on the east side, where Lawrence/IMPD/Hancock County/McCordsville, etc. etc. can write tickets on either side of the road. I think the "boundary lines" have a little give to them. It'd be different if Hancock County for example was running radar at Pendleton Pike and Post Road.

Comment

When a road straddles a border its "concurrent jurisdiction" and you can write on either side regardless of your home jurisdiction.

Basically the Indiana Supreme Court said its stupid for you to only be able to write tickets on one side of the road, what if a crash happens in the middle, etc. You should write state codes instead of municipal codes, though, just to avoid any jurisdictional issues.

Legally you could get a Johnson county ticket book and write tickets anywhere in Johnson County even if you're IMPD. We're all statewide, but the UTTs are authorized by each county's prosecutor.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I say shake your baton at them and tell them to get off our lawn. I would guess they can come over the border if they are willing to write the state codes and submit them to F13, otherwise if they write an informed taxpayer who knows better he could bring up jurisdiction in Johnson County court and probably win.

On a side note, I've noticed that the MECA CAD system assigns beats to intersections by the NE corner of the intersection, so that usually explains why one district or department always gets the runs to the border intersections on certain roads like County Line, Raceway, 96th or Carroll.

Comment

Couldn’t the Marion County Court simply relocate the case to Johnson County, if the venue is in question? An officer could be sitting just inside the neighboring county and watching for traffic violations occurring inside his own county. Although he/she might stop them in Johnson Co., the violation could have occurred in Marion Co.

Comment

Jurisdictional boundries are funny things, I remember in the old days, the intersection of 46th & Emerson was an EMS goat rodeo. The Northeast corner was City of Lawrence, the Southeast corner was IPD/Wishard, and the Northwest corner was MCSD/Washington Township! Then you have the quagmire of Cumberland PD, which is in both Marion and Hancock county

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
            Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
              Then you have the quagmire of Cumberland PD, which is in both Marion and Hancock county
              Not only that, but I heard that when they originally formed the new IMPD beats, they cut Cumberland in half!! The current beat maps show that Cumberland is now entirely in the SE district. There was an article in the paper about how the officers were going to have to scan three channels: Hancock Co., MNE, MSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiz11 View Post
                I say shake your baton at them and tell them to get off our lawn. I would guess they can come over the border if they are willing to write the state codes and submit them to F13, otherwise if they write an informed taxpayer who knows better he could bring up jurisdiction in Johnson County court and probably win.
                Again, concurrent jurisdiction applies. County Line Road can be submitted to either county without a jurisdiction issue as long as state codes are written. That's per both case law and IC code. Also note that the concurrent jurisdiction issue is for the courts, not the police, as of course an Indiana officer is blessed with statewide authority.

Here's specific case law for E 96th St, which of course is in the same position as County Line Rd.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...03.jsk&invol=2

Navaretta v Indiana.

The important bit is:

The State asserts that the location of the commission of the criminal activity permitted the State to prosecute Navaretta in either Hamilton or Marion county. IC 35-32-2-1(h) provides:
                “If an offense is committed at a place which is on or near a common boundary which is shared by two (2) or more counties and it cannot be readily determined where the offense was committed, then the trial may be had in any county sharing the common boundary.”
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

As CruiserClass has stated TWICE now, it is "CONCURRENT JURISDICTION"!!!!! Any roadway that is located along a county line, jurisdiction belongs to BOTH counties!! It's INDIANA CODE!

Which is really just a moot law anyhow, since police officers have STATE WIDE POWERS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                    Today I was driving on County Line Rd, eastbound, on the Greenwood/Johnson County side. On the westbound Indy/Marion County side I see 2 Greenwood officers running radar for westbound traffic. I was under the assumption that IMPD officers couldn't write tickets on the Johnson Co side, and the Johnson County agencies couldn't write tickets on the Marion County side. Am I mistaken? Is the line a free for all for anyone or what? I have no problem with it, just wondering how it works.
                    You might need a refresher on HOW to write a UTT bro

Comment

I still get the ol' starfish clinch when im driving on County Line Rd in my commish and see them hiding in the apts running radar right there by the baptist college where it's rediculously slow, hey it's Johnson County they have a rep to uphold.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                        You might need a refresher on HOW to write a UTT bro
                        Just because I don't keep a spit shine on my jackboots any more doesn't mean I don't keep my skillz sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                          Just because I don't keep a spit shine on my jackboots any more doesn't mean I don't keep my skillz sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepdog2009 View Post
                            I still get the ol' starfish clinch when im driving on County Line Rd in my commish and see them hiding in the apts running radar right there by the baptist college where it's rediculously slow, hey it's Johnson County they have a rep to uphold.
                            Smile and wave boys...smile and wave.

Comment

Hell they can run radar all day long for all I care. I also agree with the law that it belongs to both of us and we can both use it as we see fit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5550 users online. 321 members and 5229 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X