300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deparments in/around Hamilton County

I saw some threads in the search but I wanted answers on several of these departments on one thread so I can have good info with easy access (easy for others considering these departments also). I am considering moving to Indiana (Whether it be Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel, or Indianapolis) in the next couple years (from Richmond, Virginia) and I figure better now than later to get information on departments. Any information on the following would be helpful: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, Fishers PD, Carmel PD, IMPD, ISP, Noblesville PD.

*Academies - How long? Live at the academy or go home every night? What'd you think of it (if you went thru it)?

*Salaries - Incentive pay for bilingual/trilingual? Incentive pay for degrees (I know about Noblesville)? Where are they starting at (I know of all but HCSO)? Where are you looking to be at 3-5 years (Know of Noblesville)? Clothing allowances, etc.?

*Shifts - How are they worked (I know of Carmel and Fishers)?

*Take Home Cars - When do you get them (if you do)? Restrictions as for off-duty driving? I heard Fishers you can drive anywhere in the state.

*HCSO Specific - Are they primarily prison/jail deputies and COs? Or is their "Patrol Divison" really concentrating on traffic control? If they do, do they assist other PDs or do they have their own little area to take care of? Once hired on, do you get to choose if you are Patrol Division or in the jails/prisons?

*Backup - How would you rate your backup in these departments? Have you had experiences or heard experiences of them backing each other up in certain times of needs?

*Typical call load - What does it consist of (accidents, domestics, murders, shootings, etc.)? How many average calls on the busiest night?

*Hiring Process - Length of your experience from Pre-App to Academy start? How does being a bilingual/trilingual, male minority with BS degree in CJ help?

*Specialized Units - Who has the greatest room for opportunity (I bet I'll hear ISP on this one or IMPD)? When can you start applying for these positions?

That's all I can think of for now that I would like to know that I haven't found obvious on every website. I appreciate those who take the time to answer my questions...it is greatly appreciated. Afterall, big decision to pick where you want to start your career!

I was hoping someone would answer, LOL! Thank you very much for your detailed response! The 12 hour shifts for Carmel and Fishers and Noblesville was new news to me! Well, atleast Fishers. Their website says "8.5 hrs, 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off" but this is exactly why I asked here incase that information wasn't true. I saw Carmel was 11.5hrs 2 on 2 off, didn't see Noblesville.

So for HCSO, if I applied for Deputy Sheriff, I could expect to do actual traffic enforcement/be out on road as oppose to court security etc? Do I understand that correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
      I was hoping someone would answer, LOL! Thank you very much for your detailed response! The 12 hour shifts for Carmel and Fishers and Noblesville was new news to me! Well, atleast Fishers. Their website says "8.5 hrs, 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off" but this is exactly why I asked here incase that information wasn't true. I saw Carmel was 11.5hrs 2 on 2 off, didn't see Noblesville.

So for HCSO, if I applied for Deputy Sheriff, I could expect to do actual traffic enforcement/be out on road as oppose to court security etc? Do I understand that correctly?
      Corrections, Court, and Patrol are all separate divisions at HCSO. If you are on Patrol, your job is traffic and responding to calls. Call load is steady but not hectic. HCSO currently works 8.5 hours shifts, 5-2-5-3. Pay for County starts around 42k which is less than the municipalities; however the new pay matrix tops out higher than some of the cities/towns. Equipment and benefits are excellent. Patrol division must live in county but have take home cars with state-wide use. Sheriff Carter is about the best boss you could ever work for.
      "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
      John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

Originally posted by biggesto View Post
        Corrections, Court, and Patrol are all separate divisions at HCSO. If you are on Patrol, your job is traffic and responding to calls. Call load is steady but not hectic. HCSO currently works 8.5 hours shifts, 5-2-5-3. Pay for County starts around 42k which is less than the municipalities; however the new pay matrix tops out higher than some of the cities/towns. Equipment and benefits are excellent. Patrol division must live in county but have take home cars with state-wide use. Sheriff Carter is about the best boss you could ever work for.
        That's awesome! The more I do research about the Sheriff's Office, the more I am impressed. How's the room for advancement into say...investigations (because that's ultimately what I want to get into)?

Comment

And how long is the HCSO application process, do you know? So I can get a good idea how far ahead to apply...

Comment

Most departments take about 6 months to go through the whole hiring process unless they need bodies ASAP. Fill out the pre app. form they have online because when there is a hiring process that is what HCSO pulls from. Im currently in the process to work in the Jail part time (hopefully getting on sert), i know some deputies on the department and they tell me they love it. From everything i've herd and seen they are one of the top 3 sheriffs offices in Indiana
            only predators fear the dog that protect the sheep!

Comment

Here is the HCSO website: http://www.co.hamilton.in.us/departments.asp?id=2316 . From there, go to forms and you can fill out an application. Patrol is currently in a hiring freeze due to the economy but it never hurts to have an application on file just in case. Corrections will probably continue to hire with the future expansion of the Jail.

If you need any more info, let me know.
              "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Comment

Originally posted by Citation35HF
                Wow! Thats a lot of questions. I will try and answer the ones I know. You asked for agencies in and around Hamilton County, I'm going to stick with answering only Hamilton County agency specific questions for now. Adding in Boone, Madison, Marion County answers would be too much.

All of the above agencies except for ISP go to the ILEA basic academy in Plainfield. You spend the nights but get to go home on the weekends.

HCSO starts at 41k. Not sure about degrees, or what that would do to your salary. HCSO has it's own quartermaster.

Fishers, Carmel and Noblesville are all on 12hr shifts. The Sheriff's Office is on 8hr shifts.

Fishers and HCSO can take their vehicles anywhere in the state. Not sure on Carmel and Noblesville.

The Jail Division and Road Division are completely seperate at HCSO. Corrections Officers are not considered Road Deputies nor are they interchangeable positions. IF you apply for Deputy Sheriff, you job is to patrol the uncorporated part of the County, which at the current time is Home Place in Carmel, some of Clay township in Carmel. All the parts of geist that have not yet been annexed and other non annexed areas. There are bits and pieces everywhere in the County that fall on the sheriff's office. Also the entire northern half of the county that is mostly farmland falls on the sheriff's office.

Backup is excellent, run load is relatively slow, especially compared to Marion County. There are plenty of police officers in this county and not much crime at all. In example, a verbal domestic will go out and you will have up to 6 officers mark enroute at times. Lots of accidents, decent amount of domestics, you get a lot of civil issues that people demand the police for. As far as murders, can't think of the last time Hamilton County had a murder ...maybe 2 years ago. Whereas you go one county south and you may get a couple a week.

As far as opportunities, most of these agencies have their own ERT/Swat teams, scuba teams, traffic enforcement, etc. Like you said, ISP is going to have the most opportunities to do different things or work different places.

Hope that touched on a few of your questions.

PTLCOP may be able to answer some of these better, I think hes on Fishers.
                Not on Fishers, but I've got some answers!

HCSO is probably the lowest of the agencies in Ham. Co based on pay scale. Carmel is the highest, Fishers, Westfield and then Noblesville after them.

Opportunities for advancement are going to be greater in the Hamilton agencies because they're growing communities, and the departments will grow as quickly as the cities do. It's kind of the "getting in on the ground floor" doctrine, especially in Noblesville and Westfield. Carmel and Fishers are kind of restricted as to how much more they can grow, they're bounded by each other, Indy, and then Boone county and Madison/Hancock counties to the east and west and finally Noblesville and Westfield to the north. Westfield could theoretically grow all the way up to SR 38 along the corridor to Sheridan. Noblesville similiarly could grow that far north. So as the cities grow exponentially in the next 5-10 years, the agencies will soon be 100-150+ officers.

Fishers and HCSD have state wide vehicle usage. Noblesville is restricted to 3,000 miles per month, which includes on duty usage and are only permitted to take their vehicles 1 county out of Hamilton. I think Westfield is unlimited mileage, and can go maybe 5 counties out. Not sure about Carmel.

Call load is going to be somewhat....different. Noblesville and Fishers are probably the busiest. Lots of domestics, accidents, harassments, etc. You'll also deal with things that the officers in Indy would laugh at you for, like responding to a fireworks complaint, or a loud party. In Indy that wouldn't get a response, in Hamilton County, they expect you there right away. Violent crime is rare, there are typically about 3 murders in the county each year. I know there was the double murder in Homeplace in 2007, at least one murder in Westfield in 2008 and one in Noblesville at least. There has been a noticeable increase in crime as the population density increases.

Noblesville, Fishers and Carmel work 12 hour shifts. HCSD and Westfield are on 8.5 and 8 respectively.

Back up is excellent, you won't find quicker back-up anywhere in the state. Mostly because the rich folk like a lot of officers on the road! While I've never heard 6 cars mark in route to a verbal domestic, it's not uncommon for a burglary in progress call that would pull two cars in Marion County result in 8-10 cars from various agencies assisting. If you ever need to set up a perimeter, Hamilton County is the agency to do it in, with the 5 agencies, plus state police, IMPD, and Zionsville so close to each other, there's no shortage of back up!

The biggest advantage that you'll have in Ham. County is that you will have better equipment and better training than you will other places. Some of these agencies get new cars at 70,000 miles or every 3 years. Meaning you don't have to worry about a car with 200,000 miles on it like at IMPD, you know your car is going to make it through the Signal 10 run, or the vehicle pursuit. These agencies also have a bigger "per officer" budget than IMPD or ISP. I know some patrol officers who have gone to trainings that IMPD would NEVER send a patrol officer to, simply because of the cost.

Hope that helps, PM me with any more specific questions, I'll try to get the answers for you.
                Originally posted by K40
                To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Doug Carter is one HELL of a guy.
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Pay for County starts around 42k which is less than the municipalities; however the new pay matrix tops out higher than some of the cities/towns.
                    Do you know what the top out pay is? How long it takes to reach it?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                      You'll also deal with things that the officers in Indy would laugh at you for, like responding to a fireworks complaint, or a loud party. In Indy that wouldn't get a response, in Hamilton County, they expect you there right away.

Back up is excellent, you won't find quicker back-up anywhere in the state. Mostly because the rich folk like a lot of officers on the road! While I've never heard 6 cars mark in route to a verbal domestic, it's not uncommon for a burglary in progress call that would pull two cars in Marion County result in 8-10 cars from various agencies assisting.
                      Not quite true for either of these statements about IMPD. You'll get a response to every call, it just may take an hour for an officer to be dispatched if it is a low priority run. And only 2 cars will be dispatched to a burglary in progress, but more will respond as backup.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                        Not quite true for either of these statements about IMPD. You'll get a response to every call, it just may take an hour for an officer to be dispatched if it is a low priority run. And only 2 cars will be dispatched to a burglary in progress, but more will respond as backup.
                        Then things have changed in recent times. My parents were told on numerous instances when they called in party complaints, noise compliants, etc that officers wouldn't be responding unless something more serious happened. Really soured their mood on Indy law enforcement. Glad to hear that it has changed though.
                        Originally posted by K40

Comment

Wow PtlCop! Thank you very much for that response! I think Fishers needs to update their site then on the shifts they have. I think from another source, I heard HCSO was going to set up a new pay scale matrix to help them better compete with the surrounding departments. How is OT availability for all these departments? Room to move into investigations? How long before you can apply to specific "special units"?

I am a college student working on my BS degree in CJ. Currently a junior, planning to move to Hamilton County (wherever that may be; Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel) when I graduate. Course this wouldn't be for another 2 years or so, but since the process for police work takes a while, when do you all suggest I start putting in applications? Next year? 6 months before graduation? It's quite the travel up there so I don't want it to interfere with school if I have to do testing, etc.

Comment

Does Fishers PD take laterals? What's the guidelines on that? What about HCSO?

Comment

Deputy pay tops out at around $60k for HCSO. The pay matrix runs out at 32 years. There is a lateral program as well as performance pay and specialty team pay. If you are still in college, you might apply for an internship as it gives you a chance to get to know the department and the department to get to know you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11917 users online. 443 members and 11474 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X