300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice From IMPD

Brothers and Sisters of IMPD, I need some advice concerning my son. He is finishing his solo FTO phase and will be getting his take home car very soon, and his Mother and I would like to give a graduation gift of sorts. We were leaning towards a baby Glock in 40 cal. for an off duty B.U.G., is this the preferred weapon with you folks? Also, if there is something he could use more in his first year, chime in! When he graduated the academy, we bought him a rechargable Maglight for the car, and he has a stinger mini light for his duty belt. Be safe everyone

Last edited by 55-502; 04-15-2009, 05:35 AM. Reason: wording
    Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Maybe consider some appropriate rain gear if it's not provided through quartermaster, a metal documents holder is always good, a passenger seat organizer, a lifetime supply of pocket notebooks, small-med-large plastic and paper bags for property and evidence, plastic bins for trunk organization, metal container for extra ammo (army supply store), supply of road flares, .....just a few thoughts for ya. Congrats to your son! You sound like a proud papa!

Comment

A rain jacket is provided, but its not the best. Notebooks and evidence bags are freely available at the property room.

The baby Glock .40 is probably the most common BUG/OD carry gun but don't over pay for it. Places like Kieslers and other official Glock LE suppliers have special pricing for LEOs and you can probably get it cheaper if you take him with you to get it. Kind of eliminates the surprise, but at least he gets it.

A Remington 870 isn't a bad choice either. There was a shortage, which may be over now, but when I came out it was personal shotgun or no shotgun and you couldn't be issued one until you had 18 months on even if it was available. No other shotgun is authorized, it has to be the 870.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post

A Remington 870 isn't a bad choice either. There was a shortage, which may be over now, but when I came out it was personal shotgun or no shotgun and you couldn't be issued one until you had 18 months on even if it was available. No other shotgun is authorized, it has to be the 870.
        Yep, I forgot to mention we got him a Tactical 870 with an M-4 stock and a surefire front light for Christmas last year! Our family resembles the Tackleberry family of "Police Academy"

Toby Keith

Comment

I would say the Glock if anything. Most people including myself spent way too much money at that point in my life. It sounds like you guys have already set him up pretty good. Maybe get him something not related to police work like his other hobby stuff. Everything he will ever need with regards to police work will be provided to him. I know it was nice to have all of that cool new stuff though. And road flares are free by the way, stacked up the wall at north distrct roll call, and downtown roll call is the place to go for evidence bags and notebooks as of last week. I wish I had parents like you guys

Comment

If I were your son, I would love the glock.

Comment

If you are going to buy him the Glock, give him the money and let him buy it from Jenkins. He will get it much cheaper that way. I also know that if he is interested in a patrol rifle, one of the gun shops down in or near Greenwood offers the Rock River Arms special LE pricing that was $100 cheaper than what Pop Guns was charging. Last time I checked though, the wait was four to six months!!

Comment

He will know this but you cant carry the patrol rifle until you have five years on and have been through the training even if you carried it for years in the military and I bought my Glock .40 from jenkins and it was $419 I think but I bought the grip extender for the mags too.

Comment

The gun would be great, but I agree, give him the money, let him get it at Jenkins.

Might get him a light for his G22, although there is a restriction on which light he can carry.

Don't bother with the rain gear, flares, notebooks etc. All provided. You could always get him a gift certificate to Jenkins, they have plenty of clothing, accessory and weapon options for him.

Will you adopt me?
                  Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepdog2009 View Post
                    It sounds like you guys have already set him up pretty good. Maybe get him something not related to police work like his other hobby stuff.
                    That also would be weapons, he is a Cowboy Action Shooter like his mother and I

Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by IPDBrad View Post

Will you adopt me?
                      Trust me, we're already part of the same family, and all of you folks are in my daily prayers!

Toby Keith

Comment

Trust me, we're already part of the same family, and all of you folks are in my daily prayers!
                        Excellent, I've got a birthday coming up, I'll take an M1A. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by inspectorsmiley View Post
                          Excellent, I've got a birthday coming up, I'll take an M1A. Thanks!!
                          It's cheaper than an M1A1

Toby Keith

Comment

A glock 27 would be a great gift. I carried my 22 off duty for a while but got a 27 and qualified with it and will never carry my 22 off duty again, especially now that I have a tac light. Get a glock 27, the +2 round pinkie extension for the magazines (a must have to improve grip) and a soft conceal carry holster, for instance the pro stealth concealment holster you can find at glockstore.com. I've got one and I love it. Check around because you can find 27's with the Trijicon sights just like the ones on the issued G22. It's also possible to carry the 27 in the soft holster attached to your vest if you want to carry it as a backup.

If you don't want to go the gun route, a surefire or streamlight tac light (no lasers allowed) for his 22 would be good if he wants one or the safariland holster to hold the 22 with a light (it runs $150, more than the light itself).

Personalized badge case? Although I'm guessing if he's already got an 870 he's got that.

A metal ticketbook holder is nice.

A DVR pen can be a good gift too. Looks like your average pen but records a few hours of audio/color video at the push of a button. Works well for DUIs or difficult customers.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. My philosophy is to get him what he needs no matter the cost, it may save his life someday. As soon as SOP's allow, I'll be riding along with him and I hope to meet some of you!

Blessings.......502

Toby Keith

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4873 users online. 264 members and 4609 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X