300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting on a Reserve Process and need advice

I need some advice. We just done a process for new Reserves but I would like some input from some Veterans with more experience.

We started out by having an agility test. (ILEA Entrance standards) The following week we did an oral interview with all the applicants. We had 10 that tried out for the openings. We didn’t advertise this round, we took the applicants that had been in from last round.

During the process we graded each applicant and scored them 1 –10 with 1 being lowest 10 highest. We graded them in 4 areas. Agility Test, Interview, Driving record and Criminal history. We then totaled the scores and put top score as Number 1. 2nd highest score #2 and so on down the line. We didn’t know how each other scored the applicants. We each had our own sheet and didn’t sign them, but we did discuss each applicant after each interview. I told the other Reserves beforehand if they only liked 5 or certain amount out of the group not to put the whole 10 unless they thought they be a good reserve, that way if we as group only like 5 or 6 then the others wouldn’t be considered.

We then turn our recommendations over to the Chief. He may then interview them again or go with our suggestions.

My question is there a fairer way to do the process or ways to improve the system we used. This is the first time we as Reserves where able to do the Interviews too. We had done the agility testing 3 times. I was able to go online and get the interview questions at a couple websites and modify them to what we thought suited our department. But for most part used what we found. We only had 12 questions and the interview lasted about 15 mins.

We do not want the process become to big that it rules out some good candidates but would like to have a good process in place for next time.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I look forward to any comments.

Back in the day I thought I had saturated myself with training, completing my departments Reserve training and ILEA back to back, but after watching my son's training at IMPD, it didn't hold a candle. In my opinion IMPD has the finest academy in the nation, and they could provide you with valuable information on structuring your program. I believe Lt. Holt is in charge of the academy, any IMPD that could verify or PM him Lt's e-mail address?

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Comment

Captain Holt is training academy commander.

Academy tx is 327-6650
      Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Originally posted by Scout127 View Post
        We didn’t know how each other scored the applicants. We each had our own sheet and didn’t sign them, but we did discuss each applicant after each interview.
        My only concern is that it sounds like you have no clearly defined standards by which you are judging your candidates. Instead, it sounds like each proctor evaluated the applicants based on their own arbitrary personal standards, which can vary from person to person.

In our testing we always sat down ahead of time and decided how we would judge - how agilities were to be scored (how many points for each demonstrated skill or rep), what answers were acceptable for the oral and how they were to be scored, what was or was not a DQ for criminal and driving histories, etc. Naturally there were some minor disagreements but point variances were not too far off because the scoring process was well defined and structured ahead of time. We always made notes justifying our scoring and signed them in case someone challenged their score or alleged discrimination, so we could back up our decision at a later date. We kept our notes for two years after the test in case anyone appealed or filed a discrimination claim.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, I am sorry I didnt go in more detail on OP. I thought it was to long as it was. We did discuss those most of the things you said. We talked about what was acceptable on agility and what we thought as a whole what was good or wrong answers. On driving we ran their history and had talked beforehand like 1 speeding ticket was acceptable, maybe even 3 or 4 if it was spread over several years and the age of the applicant. But if someone had 1 a year then it wasn’t acceptable. We was surprisingly close on the scores and order of the applicants we all thought where good candidates. We discuss signing the score sheets, but due to small town politics. I know that shouldn’t be reason but here in our area it’s terrible. Most departments in our area that has Reserves don't even ahve a procedure, its the good ole boy system. There is a couple good dept, that have a process but its not the norm.

I do appreciate your comments and they are valid.

Thanks again,
          Last edited by Scout127; 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling and update

Comment

Thanks for the info and name for IMPD academy. I will try to contact Capt Holt and see what help he will provide. I am sure he will have all the info and advice we need.

Comment

Originally posted by IPDBrad View Post
              Captain Holt
              Oops, open mouth, insert foot! Sorry Captain

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
              Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                Oops, open mouth, insert foot! Sorry Captain

Well, he was once an LT.
                Do your best, do what is right

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9470 users online. 194 members and 9276 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X