300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Permits and Police Officers

I just recently became a police officer in Indiana. My department says that I do not have to have a gun permit to carry my duty weapon off duty. Is this true and if so were is it in Indiana code?

It's actually a federal law. H.R. 218 gives off-duty, as well as retired, police officers right to carry reciprocity throughout the nation
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978marcelos View Post
      I just recently became a police officer in Indiana. My department says that I do not have to have a gun permit to carry my duty weapon off duty. Is this true and if so were is it in Indiana code?
      IC 35-47-2-1
      Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
      Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
      (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
      As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

IC 35-47-2-2
      Excepted persons
      Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
      (1) marshals;
      (2) sheriffs;
      (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
      (4) judicial officers;
      (5) law enforcement officers;

(6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
      (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
      (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
      (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
      (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
      (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
      As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Comment

Just remember that if you badge and ID will be your gun permit. You'll have to have it with you to carry. Most of the guys I work with have their permit anyways just incase they want to carry and not have to carry their badge. It's up to you but when it comes to carrying i like to error on the side of safety. Especially if you run into someone who doesn't know the law.
        The old Miller76. I lost my password.

~Sometimes there is justice, sometimes there is Just us!~

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Comment

You won't need a permit, but you should get one ASAP. In addition, you should be buying yourself your own handgun as well. The reason is that with LE, you never know what could happen. You could be involved in a very questionable incident where you did nothing wrong. However, depending on the incident and the publicity, the powers that by might find it worth the money to suspend all those involved until all the facts are discovered. If you are suspended, you gun, badge, and police ID is usually taken. So does this mean you are or are not still a sworn officer? I dunno how that would play out in a court, but to be on the safe side, you would still have your permit and your own personal firearm and personal ammo so that you would still be able to defend yourself when out and about.

Comment

IC covers you instate

HR218 out of state
            Do your best, do what is right

Comment

I would go ahead and get your lifetime permit, before the State decides to stop selling them. They did the same thing several years ago with the life time hunting permit, when they realized the money they were losing and stopped the program. It's well worth the $100.

BSD
              Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
              Toby Keith

Comment

Another thing, if you get a take home car, you'll probably be required to have your weapon on you while you’re in the car, along with the badge and ID. Pretty much get used to having those three things on you pretty much all the time from now on.
                Remember cameras are everywhere and they love cops.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                  You won't need a permit, but you should get one ASAP. In addition, you should be buying yourself your own handgun as well. The reason is that with LE, you never know what could happen. You could be involved in a very questionable incident where you did nothing wrong. However, depending on the incident and the publicity, the powers that by might find it worth the money to suspend all those involved until all the facts are discovered. If you are suspended, you gun, badge, and police ID is usually taken. So does this mean you are or are not still a sworn officer? I dunno how that would play out in a court, but to be on the safe side, you would still have your permit and your own personal firearm and personal ammo so that you would still be able to defend yourself when out and about.
                  Good advice right there. It is the main reason to have one. Everybody knows your a cop and if bad guy shows up when your suspended you'll have some defense.

Comment

Your right about that. Ive only been on the road for two months and have had 2 people tell me that they would remember my face. I done leave home anymore without a weapon.

Comment

You will hear that MANY more times, in the years to come. While it only takes one to try and make good on the threat, most are just making noise.

Comment

Can a non-resident, non-leo, obtain a IN gun permit?

Comment

Originally posted by bankfraudguy View Post
                          Can a non-resident, non-leo, obtain a IN gun permit?
                          Yes as long as you work in Indiana other wise no.

Here is the IC: 35-47-2-3
                          “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

"Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6284 users online. 351 members and 5933 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X