300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Apartments

I had this posted under the IMPD academy questions, but I thought this thread might get a little more attention with the correct title.

I'm looking in to apartment complexes if/when I get to the academy. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with washer/dryer in unit. I would like it to be pet friendly but that is an option, not a necessity.

I do not want to be in HUD/Section 8 housing. I'm just really looking for some good recommendations that fit the above criteria.

So far I have the following:

1. Bristol Square Apartments
    2. Abney Lake Apartments
    3. Washington Village Apartments
    4. Beech Grove Village Apartments

If anyone has anymore insight to the above listed or have any others I should look in to please let me know.

Thanks.

Check out Echo Ridge apartments. They are on the SE side of town, just north of Wanamaker. It's a straight shot up Post Road, about 5.5 miles to the Academy at 10th & Post. It's in Franklin Township, which is sometimes referred to as "cop land", because of the number of officers that live there. Franklin Township is the most rural of the city's townships, if you plan on eventually living in the county.

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com.../999905258.php
    Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Washington Village Apartments are nice, _but_ understand that they are not in Marion County, they are located in Hancock County. This really shouldn't be an issue for you, because I am hearing that if you get on IMPD, your take home car doesn't materialize for one to two years. I have known two families that have lived there, both enjoyed it. The one family were my good friends so I was at their apartment, seemed to be pretty decent. I know that my co-worker that lived there said they are pretty good upon keeping the place nice. I guess they had a bunch of illegals packed into one building and they had to kick them out (like 12 people in a two or three bedroom apartment). I don't believe they are Section 8, but if complexes are having trouble finding renters, they usually turn to HUD. This is seven miles from 10th and Post.

Another complex which might fit your needs is Stonehenge located just south of Washington St. (US 40) off Franklin Rd. This is only about two miles from 10th and Post. Check to make sure they don't Section 8.

I just looked up Bristol Square. I am saying that is going to be a no go. Anything on the east side of Indy, north of Washington St. would be no go in my book. Most of the complexes have some Section 8. Years ago, Shadeland Ave. had a lot of factory jobs, plus we have a Navy weapons factory building on the east side as well. All these people were expected to need housing. Well, slowly, most of the factories closed, and there was massive over building in apartments. There are complexes on 10th St., 21st St., 30th St., and 38th St.----I would avoid them all. Even if your complex is not Section 8, chances are it is close to one that is. Secondly, the vinyl village homes out in that area are not occupied by the greatest of folks. There was a killing of some kid not to long ago (believe it was a drug deal gone bad).

In fact, try to load this link. If it doesn't load, google indianapolis homicide map. It is part of the Indystar.com website. Like I said, anything north of Washington St. on the mid to far east side should be avoided.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS02/80304038

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
        Anything on the east side of Indy, north of Washington St. would be no go in my book.
        Yeah this is the kind of information I need. I did a ride along with N.E Division and got a first hand look at some of the complexes and neighborhoods in that area. That is why I'm here looking for some tips before I drive down to Indy and go scouting for residency.

I've heard that downtown and the Southwest side of town are pretty quiet. What "side of town" is recommended for decent living and relatively "low crime"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ra1nMak3R View Post
          Yeah this is the kind of information I need. I did a ride along with N.E Division and got a first hand look at some of the complexes and neighborhoods in that area. That is why I'm here looking for some tips before I drive down to Indy and go scouting for residency.

I've heard that downtown and the Southwest side of town are pretty quiet. What "side of town" is recommended for decent living and relatively "low crime"?
          Franklin Township, southeast side of Marion County, hands down. It ain't called "cop land" for nothing! Very quiet, and low crime. Property taxes are a little high, but it's worth it. The economy is going to collapse soon anyway, so who cares?

Southwest isn't bad (Decatur Township), if you find a place outside of the I-465 loop. Straight south (Perry Township) isn't bad, either, but more traffic congestion. Again, look for something outside of the 465 loop.

I don't recommend anywhere north of Washington Street. Actually, I have no use for anything north of Troy Avenue (coordinate 3000 S), but that's just me. I'm not from Marion County, and like a "small town" feel better than the hustle & bustle (crime and pollution) of the city.

The northeast side (Castleton, etc.) is a nightmare for traffic congestion, at least as far as Indy traffic goes. Far north is nice, but you're gonna pay for a decent place. I wouldn't live northwest unless you get WAY out towards the county line. Avoid anything near Georgetown Road like the plague. It looks like a decent area, but has a lot of gang and gang wannabe activity. The Super Wal-Mart at 86th & Michigan is the only one in town that is not open 24 hours a day (last time I checked), because they were getting killed with shoplifters.

Straight west (Wayne Township) has its good and bad areas. It's not as bad as the east side, but they've got their fair share of "thug life" types. It's a bit more economically depressed than some other areas, as most of the nice restaurants and "big box" retailers have moved further west into Avon or Plainfield in Hendricks County.

And if you've done a ride-along on the east side.....well, you know better than to live there!

Honestly, the best thing to do is to take a few days and drive around the different areas of town. Do some shopping, stop and get a bite to eat, and roll through a few neighborhoods. That's the way I did it when I got hired many moons ago, and I think that's the best way to get a feel for a particular area.

Good luck!
          Last edited by K40; 03-06-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you K40 for all that information. I am definitely planning on driving to Indy for a weekend to check out all the different locations. It sounds like Franklin Township is going to be the fit for me. I've heard a lot of good things about that township so far.

If anyone has some specific apartmen complex names in that township please post them here so I can investigate. Google, rent.com, forrent.com can only find so much! I'm not looking to go over $600/mo on the rent so hopefully I can find something in my price range.

I don't need anything big and fancy. Just a couch to lay down on while I ice my academy wounds and study my material.

**EDIT**

Any good/bad stories on the Stonehenge Apartment complex? This one is looking in my price range and has all the amenities I'm looking for.

Thanks.
            Last edited by Ra1nMak3R; 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Latitudes is nice (Combs/County line) a little expensive but you should be able to afford it on your starting salary. After you get your take home down the road there will be plenty of cheap apartment offers. Or you can buy a house, I hear they are pretty cheap right now

Comment

You might check out Keeneland Crest Apartments. Far southside, near Stop 11 and Emerson Ave in Franklin Township. $635 - $669 a month, washer & dryer included, and pets allowed. This is a decent area, very close to Meijer, Target and other shopping. Easy access to I-65 as well. If I was single and looking for a place to stay, I'd check them out. Some complexes will give a discount to LE, or a reduced deposit. They've got a pool....bikini season approaches!

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...le/1003491.php

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                  And if you've done a ride-along on the east side.....well, you know better than to live there!
                  Ouch bro...ouch. Don't be talking about my peeps like that. Hmmm, raise as an Eastsider, live as an eastsider, and work as an Eastsider. You just have to know where to go

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                    Check out Echo Ridge apartments. They are on the SE side of town, just north of Wanamaker. It's a straight shot up Post Road, about 5.5 miles to the Academy at 10th & Post. It's in Franklin Township, which is sometimes referred to as "cop land", because of the number of officers that live there. Franklin Township is the most rural of the city's townships, if you plan on eventually living in the county.

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com.../999905258.php
                    +1 on Echo Lake. My Mother in Law lived there for several years before buying a condo. There were several Officers living there when she was there, and it's about a 5 minute drive to the Academy. PM me if you need help.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                    Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
                      Ouch bro...ouch. Don't be talking about my peeps like that. Hmmm, raise as an Eastsider, live as an eastsider, and work as an Eastsider. You just have to know where to go
                      Nothin' personal! He's looking for apartment living, I couldn't think of anything on the east side that I'd recommend, that's all. Some of the neighborhoods are quiet and nice, when it comes time to buy a house.

Comment

www.apartmentratings.com

Also, I have moved around so much, I am pretty decent about knowing which apartments are crap. And my best friend leases apartments and has been to many different locations. If you have any questions, shoot me a message.
                        Your mom...

Comment

Do any of the apartment complexes still offer free units in exchange for security? Could be a sweet deal when he is off probation.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                          Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                            Do any of the apartment complexes still offer free units in exchange for security? Could be a sweet deal when he is off probation.

There's several that do, and we occasionally get readoffs in RC about a courtesy officer position somewhere. Never my thing, but its there for those who are interested.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Google Maps and Craigslist Mashup

Wanted to chime in something cool when looking for an apartment.

http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/indian...using-for-rent

That site is a mashup of Google Maps and Craigslist. In the left hand corner you can narrow your specifications down to your preference.

Just a Geek Chiming in

Good luck and avoid Beech Meadow Apartments like the plague. I personally had a very bad experience there, but you get what you pay for

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5229 users online. 333 members and 4896 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X