300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAC Datamaster

So, I just got back from my recert class today at Dist. 45. As luck would have it, I'm in the last group that had to TRAVEL to get recert on the Datamaster.

Instructor said that IU will have the class on-line by the end of next month at the latest. He also said that Indiana will FINALLY be getting new instruments capable of giving two breath tests, which apparently is standard with other states' instruments.

The training on the new instruments will be 8 hours. Nice. Now, here's the kicker. The new director of the dept. of toxicology thinks there are too many certified operators and will be cutting down on the number of officers capable of administering the chemical test for intoxication. Personally, I think that's a load of crap. While I agree that there are some day-walkers that don't need to continue wearing their pretty gold bar, for the most part, I don't see a problem with the troops keeping theirs up. What say you?
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

I was told the same thing when i recertified last January. They said it would all be online by spring. Well i guess i should have asked spring of what year!!!

Comment

He discussed the problems that have had the past year with the system. Had some bugs to work out and legal issues to update. Seems like it's a go now.
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Citation35HF
        Ok call me an idiot, by how exactly could it hurt anyone for an officer to be certified on the sig42 machine? What would possibly be the point on cutting back on those able to administer the test.
        I heard that a possible reason to cut down on the number of operators is so departments that pay officers to have their certification will save money.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
          I heard that a possible reason to cut down on the number of operators is so departments that pay officers to have their certification will save money.
          No offense, but that's a LAME-*** excuse for cutting back on the number of certified officers. I highly doubt that has anything to do with the reasoning behind the directors thought process. If a department has too many cert's, those that pay anyway, all they have to do is let that officers cert expire. BOOM, no longer are you paying $10 per test or whatever they have. Problem solved.

Comment

Cutting back on breath test operators? If their looking to cut down on operators, just make a few changes. Have operators show proof of OWI arrests or proof that there're running the machine for other officers. I don't know?

Comment

I think if an officer wants to be certifed then they should be able to be certifed no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
              “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

"Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

Comment

One idea, would be to eliminate those that aren't certifed LEO's, such as corrections officers certifications, maybe that's what he's thinking?

I also heard that the two test option that Indiana may be considering is going to be something like the subject takes two breath tests, 20 minutes apart, and the instrument takes the average of the two tests to give you a final BRAC.

Seems those borderline individuals that have results of .08-.10 may have a lower result with averages, guess it gives more margin of error so to speak for the subject? If they're on their way down and blow .08 and .07 in the two tests, average would be .075 truncated .07, don't know about the other counties, but most of us here tend to not file on those at .07 or lower unless under 21, or a crash is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_cj View Post
                  One idea, would be to eliminate those that aren't certifed LEO's, such as corrections officers certifications, maybe that's what he's thinking?

I also heard that the two test option that Indiana may be considering is going to be something like the subject takes two breath tests, 20 minutes apart, and the instrument takes the average of the two tests to give you a final BRAC.

Seems those borderline individuals that have results of .08-.10 may have a lower result with averages, guess it gives more margin of error so to speak for the subject? If they're on their way down and blow .08 and .07 in the two tests, average would be .075 truncated .07, don't know about the other counties, but most of us here tend to not file on those at .07 or lower unless under 21, or a crash is involved.

allen county has been practicing this for a while now. mandatory 2 test, with time lapse. if second readout is a percentage off( I believe its.005) then its off for a blood draw.
                  Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    So, I just got back from my recert class today at Dist. 45. As luck would have it, I'm in the last group that had to TRAVEL to get recert on the Datamaster.

Instructor said that IU will have the class on-line by the end of next month at the latest. He also said that Indiana will FINALLY be getting new instruments capable of giving two breath tests, which apparently is standard with other states' instruments.

The training on the new instruments will be 8 hours. Nice. Now, here's the kicker. The new director of the dept. of toxicology thinks there are too many certified operators and will be cutting down on the number of officers capable of administering the chemical test for intoxication. Personally, I think that's a load of crap. While I agree that there are some day-walkers that don't need to continue wearing their pretty gold bar, for the most part, I don't see a problem with the troops keeping theirs up. What say you?
                    Interesting. I have been certified for around six years now. Once I left night shift, I pretty much didn't "need" the certification. Although, since I have been on days, I have ran tests for others on my department and for other agencies. I think the entire idea of cutting back is crazy. A lot of officers want the test, which to me means they are at least interested in DUI. That leads me to believe that those officers are more likely to want to get trained in the field sobriety testing and keeping up with current issues (what defense lawyers are arguing, what courts are ruling, what the laws actually say, etc.).

With all that being said, I can see blood draws becoming more and more common. It seems the defense attorneys love to argue over the breath tests a lot more than the blood draws. I seriously see a future in LE where certain officers are cross-trained to draw blood, or something is set-up to where any LE agency can take a person to a certain location where a person will draw the blood, that person being a regular who goes to court and all that. This will likely mean a handful of people whose job is to do nothing but test blood for drugs/alcohol. Again, they will be the court "experts" when needed to testify and such.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4973 users online. 308 members and 4665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X