Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILEA Standards...

Hey everyone....

I am mildly obese, and not in the best of shape. I am looking at a couple of departments right now, and their application period ends late January and early Feb.

Can anyone offer some reccomendations on routines that would help stress whats needed for ILEA entry? I since I have 1 - 2 months, I really want to push this and make it happen. Thanks everyone.

You may want to do a search on this forum of this very subject. It has been addressed several times..You have to start out slowly. Remember, you did not get in the 'not best of shape' in a few months time, so you may not get into 'best of shape' in a few months.

I can somewhat relate. Good Luck in your pursuit of police officer positions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
    United States Army
    5th Special Forces Group
    Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
    Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

if you'll look on the academy web page they will have info on there about preparing for the test.
      Sometimes there's justice! Sometimes there is just US!

Comment

Thanks.

Guess I comitted the cardinal sin of forums, posting a new topic with no search. Sorry!

Comment

I would suggest that you look at ILEA's website and see the entrance standards. That is what you need to be able to do-unless your potential hiring dept. has stronger PT requirements. Bottom line? Anyone with any type of drive can pass the entrance as well as the exit standards,in shape or not. See if you can pass them, if not please don't waste the academy's or dept.s time. You can either meet the standard or you cannot. Don't be one of a few that shows up to every academy class and gets sent back home. The requirements are VERY easy.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by The911Guy View Post
            Hey everyone....

I am mildly obese, and not in the best of shape. I am looking at a couple of departments right now, and their application period ends late January and early Feb.
            You say that you're "mildly obese and not in the best of shape." Here's my question, why are you even considering applying to become a police officer while you're in this condition? No offense, but if you have known that you wanted this career, you should have been getting ready long before a deadline next month or so.

Yes, ILEA entrance standards are easy and a joke. With that said, I've seen numerous people waste dept.s time during an agility test AND when reporting to ILEA, failing the test and getting sent home.

Originally posted by The911Guy
            Can anyone offer some reccomendations on routines that would help stress whats needed for ILEA entry? I since I have 1 - 2 months, I really want to push this and make it happen. Thanks everyone.
            My advice, don't half-*** make it through a hiring process and into the academy in the shape you're in. ILEA will NOT get you in shape. Instead, you will graduate still in poor shape and that is doing a disservice to the men and women you will work with and protect. Get in shape THEN apply.

When I was a Drill Instructor, it always amazed me how out of shape recruits showed up in at MCRD San Diego. They knew well in advance of what was expected of them during the IST thanks to the recruiters. I'm even more amazed at adults following a similar trend when it comes to law enforcement.
            Last edited by MidCareer; 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

You're right about should have started this months ago.
              No question about that.
              I am 95% sure I could pass the test today, but I want to make myself 100% sure, and get in a routine where I can keep myself that way.
              My first post did come across as an "I want it now" type of thinking. I should have thought it out a little bit more.
              I appreciate the encouragement.

I say encouragement, Mid and j, only because you are telling me what you want to see. Its much easier to make a goal when you see the target.

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Just so there's no confusion, I'm not busting your stones. Was simply telling you how it is and has been lately with new people coming into LE.

So for those two people who PM'd me in regards to the tone of my first post....well, I think you know where you can go. Good evening all!

Comment

You're right about should have started this months ago.
                    No question about that.
                    I am 95% sure I could pass the test today, but I want to make myself 100% sure, and get in a routine where I can keep myself that way.
                    My first post did come across as an "I want it now" type of thinking. I should have thought it out a little bit more.
                    I appreciate the encouragement.

I say encouragement, Mid and j, only because you are telling me what you want to see. Its much easier to make a goal when you see the target.
                    There was a female in my group on my first try. I watched her prior to the beginning of PT test. She had smoked several cigs. Our first test was 300 meter run. She did not make it 100 meters. She also left the academy in an ambulance that day. If you're not prepared 110 percent, don't do it.

Set a workout schedule. Progressive weight training alternating days with upper/lower body focus every other day. On the opposite days do your run. Make sure you give your muscles enough time between work-out to heal enough so you don't damage something on your next workout. This worked for me. As a treat - I took Sundays off. Also - write down what you do. You'll be amazed at how a little personal accountability helps. Good luck and stay focused. High protein - low fat - lots of water.

Comment

Hey everyone....

#1: Start doing push aways. No, not push-ups, push aways. This means push away extra food. Start cutting back on eating, especially sugar products. If you want it bad enough, don't eat a bowl of three or four scoops of ice cream, eat just one scoop.

#2: Start walking long distances if possible. After a few weeks, start running short distances and/or climbing stairs. Climbing stairs is a great way to get your heart rate up. If you work at an area with five or six floors, start at the bottom and walk those stairs up. Eventually your body will get conditioned, so then do the stairs two times instead of once.

#3: Start doing push-ups and sit-ups. Also try to build upper arm strength as that will help you with push-ups.

Comment

Due to leg injuries(followed by surgery to repair), I am recycling into the next class (reserves). I have not been able to do any physical workouts for a few months due to the injuries. I would suggest you hire a personal trainer - I have and hope to be back much stronger then the first time. It isn't easy and I am still not fully healed, but my trainer has kicked my behind leaving me sore, but I keep going back for more. I have to if I want to be able to keep up and be able to handle a difficult situation when I graduate.

If you want it badly enough, you will do it and do it to the point of exhaustion with each and every work out. After you get over the initial hump of shocking your body, you will start feeling the addiction of working out and your body will crave it. Its an awesome feeling and I can't wait to get there, and I will be there very very soon!

Personal trainers are not that expensive - approx. $40 a session. But once you get a routine worked out with your trainer you can do your workouts on your own, and meet with the trainer once a week or every two weeks. I plan on seeing mine 2xs a week very very soon, just to get that extra butt kicking into shape.

Good luck with your training!

Comment

By the way-from what I have been hearing from the last two classes is if you get into ILEA and graduate,you will be in decent shape when you leave
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey everyone....

Okay. Here you go. Graduation standards.

First up is the vertical jump. 16 inches. If you can't jump 16 inches, kill yourself.

Next, 29 sit ups in one minute. Only way to get good at situps is to do situps. Don't do crunches or anything else. Do situps. Go to your testing able to do 40 situps so in case you freak out (it happens) you're still okay.

300 meter run in 71 seconds. Not hard. It's a fast jog, not much more. Go hard the first 75 meters and just cruise the rest of the way.

25 pushups. Same as situps. Do pushups. Some chest strengthening exercises will help. Use dumbbells, not barbells.

Last is the 1.5 mile run. 16:28 is the time. I had to pace a buddy of mine through the runs on the first and last day of the academy. Want to know how to run the 1.5 miles in 16:28? Do this, go outside and jog about as slow as you can WITHOUT WALKING for 1.5 miles. Your time will be between 15:30 - 16:00. You can run that slow and still make it as long as you don't walk.

I was in ILEA class 03-156. We had a 5'11 295 lb guy pass with no problem. Mildly obese is only a problem if you let it be.

Comment

Originally posted by oc10spray View Post
                              300 meter run in 71 seconds. Not hard. It's a fast jog, not much more. Go hard the first 75 meters and just cruise the rest of the way.

Last is the 1.5 mile run. 16:28 is the time. I had to pace a buddy of mine through the runs on the first and last day of the academy. Want to know how to run the 1.5 miles in 16:28? Do this, go outside and jog about as slow as you can WITHOUT WALKING for 1.5 miles. Your time will be between 15:30 - 16:00. You can run that slow and still make it as long as you don't walk.
                              Thanks for this info. As it stands now, I was not sure if I could do the runs.. Well, the run I was pretty sure would not be an issue, but wasn't so sure of the 300 meter run. With it being so cold outside, there really is no where to run. The sit-ups and push-ups I have down. I will have to say that you need to do them every day. Everyday you stop working out will only hurt you. If you skip sit-ups, that doesn't seem to hurt me as much as skipping push-ups. For whatever reason, push-ups seem so hard right at the end, though I can usually hit five over the standard requirement. Once I do them for a week, I can usually do ten or more over the standard.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3322 users online. 173 members and 3149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X