300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Governor Asks Public Employees to Give Up '09 Raises

I posted this in the General LE topics, but didn't know how many of you guys go there. Here's the link. Please discuss:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...62#post1559862
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

I can see calling on those that make "nice" salaries, but asking lower level employees to give up their raises is asking too much. There hundreds upon hundreds of state employees that have salaries in the lower $20k range that need and deserve their raises.

Comment

When I got hired by MCSD it was at around $25,000 a year. No way I'm turning down a 3% raise that Ballard is giving us.

Comment

It's silly. Either give them raises or not. I can understand mandating no raises for employees that make over a certain amount, but don't ask some guy making $25k a year to think about refusing a raise.

Comment

I'm a state employee and I am not counting on a cost-of-living raise next year. I am going to willingly give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
            I'm a state employee and I am not counting on a cost-of-living raise next year. I am going to willingly give it up.
            I don't think you're "willingly" giving anything up my man. "My Man Mitch" has already spoken for you and all other state employees.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
              I don't think you're "willingly" giving anything up my man. "My Man Mitch" has already spoken for you and all other state employees.
              I meant to say I AM NOT going t willingly give it. I'll go kicking and screaming the whole way.

Comment

Well town, LOL can't believe the employee's have a choice. I remember one year we got a 5% in October and the legislature took it away the following January.

RKT
                "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

What do you expect? I mean how much in property taxes should people pay? 2% of the home's value? 5%? 10%? People in Meridian-Kessler (up in Indy) living in $400K homes had $11,000/year in property taxes. This is on top of the fact that while they are basically paying $5,500/year to the public schools (In most places in Indiana, about half the property tax is for public schools) that are horrible, they are likely spending thousands on private schools as well.

Face it, it is time to start cutting corners. Maybe it is different where you are, but up here in the metro area, there are plenty of departments that could cut some fat. Too many "buddies" given a job "riding a desk" because they "put in their time" on the street for 15 to 20 years. Well, time for those folks to put on a uniform and start taking runs if that is the problem. We all know examples of it, and at least up here, I haven't seen many examples of things changing. I have also seen police officers put in charge of certain departments over seeing civilian employees. I have no problem with that, but why do that position have to be at Sgt., Lt., or Capts. pay. And why do cops that "ride a desk" Mon. thru Fri., no weekends, need a take-home car at all? Yet they want to park them for your non-ranked street officer, but brass can keep theirs?

If things are that bad, sounds to me like park budgets should be set to zero. Maybe just enough to cover the basics. No mowing the entire park, no golf courses unless they are bring in money, no water parks unless they are bringing in money, etc.. The LEOs being laid off is exactly what is being said over and over and over. Maybe we should just force people to pay $10,000/year in property taxes on a home worth $100,000? Too much, how about $5,000/year? Again, when will the excessive taxation end? How about merging all police within a county into one department? Same for the fire service?

Indiana is going to become Michigan. We have around 25% of the public school kids on free or reduced lunch. We had skyrocketing property taxes because our schools built multi-million dollar football stadiums and pools. Our priorities are out of wack. I still say there is _plenty_ of fat that could be cut from most city/county budgets. Give me the power, parks budgets would go to about 10% of what they are, officers who are "riding a desk" would be out on the street, supervisors who are over auto-desk, property clerks, etc. would totally lose their take-home vehicles, other take-home vehicles would be to and from work only, upper admin. would be required to work some holidays and weekends if they are not currently (if the state police Supt. can get out and make traffic stops, so can another other "police officer." Being a police officer doesn't disappear just because you get a Capt. badge!!). Or we could just raise taxes, bring us right back to being #1 in foreclosures, and finally force Hoosiers to really think about moving and finding "home" somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                    What do you expect? I mean how much in property taxes should people pay? 2% of the home's value? 5%? 10%? People in Meridian-Kessler (up in Indy) living in $400K homes had $11,000/year in property taxes. This is on top of the fact that while they are basically paying $5,500/year to the public schools (In most places in Indiana, about half the property tax is for public schools) that are horrible, they are likely spending thousands on private schools as well.

Face it, it is time to start cutting corners. Maybe it is different where you are, but up here in the metro area, there are plenty of departments that could cut some fat. Too many "buddies" given a job "riding a desk" because they "put in their time" on the street for 15 to 20 years. Well, time for those folks to put on a uniform and start taking runs if that is the problem. We all know examples of it, and at least up here, I haven't seen many examples of things changing. I have also seen police officers put in charge of certain departments over seeing civilian employees. I have no problem with that, but why do that position have to be at Sgt., Lt., or Capts. pay. And why do cops that "ride a desk" Mon. thru Fri., no weekends, need a take-home car at all? Yet they want to park them for your non-ranked street officer, but brass can keep theirs?

If things are that bad, sounds to me like park budgets should be set to zero. Maybe just enough to cover the basics. No mowing the entire park, no golf courses unless they are bring in money, no water parks unless they are bringing in money, etc.. The LEOs being laid off is exactly what is being said over and over and over. Maybe we should just force people to pay $10,000/year in property taxes on a home worth $100,000? Too much, how about $5,000/year? Again, when will the excessive taxation end? How about merging all police within a county into one department? Same for the fire service?

Indiana is going to become Michigan. We have around 25% of the public school kids on free or reduced lunch. We had skyrocketing property taxes because our schools built multi-million dollar football stadiums and pools. Our priorities are out of wack. I still say there is _plenty_ of fat that could be cut from most city/county budgets. Give me the power, parks budgets would go to about 10% of what they are, officers who are "riding a desk" would be out on the street, supervisors who are over auto-desk, property clerks, etc. would totally lose their take-home vehicles, other take-home vehicles would be to and from work only, upper admin. would be required to work some holidays and weekends if they are not currently (if the state police Supt. can get out and make traffic stops, so can another other "police officer." Being a police officer doesn't disappear just because you get a Capt. badge!!). Or we could just raise taxes, bring us right back to being #1 in foreclosures, and finally force Hoosiers to really think about moving and finding "home" somewhere else.

AAAAANNNNNDDD there it is! I knew, somehow, you would have a bitch about take home cars somewhere in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                      Well town, LOL can't believe the employee's have a choice. I remember one year we got a 5% in October and the legislature took it away the following January.

RKT
                      The state employees don't have the choice, but by God the city and county employees do! I will not be giving mine back!

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                        AAAAANNNNNDDD there it is! I knew, somehow, you would have a bitch about take home cars somewhere in this post.
                        So do you agree or not agree? I think they are a great benefit, but if times are tough, reducing take home cars from those who work behind a desk, and limiting use by the street officer to driving between work and home seems a lot better idea than "WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LAYOFF POLICE OFFICERS!!" It seems to me that you want to alarm people, just as I see plenty of politicians do. They never say they will cut arts to zero for a year or two. Parks will never be cut to the bone in times like this. Instead, it is all about laying off cops and firefighters. That game is getting old.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that Ballard presented a legitimately balanced budget. Where's the serious talk of layoffs? Ending the take home program?

The run-of-the-mill politicos are always going to threaten to lay off cops, firefighters, and teachers first. They know the public cares about that and will whine less about funding those instead of saying "if we don't increase taxes we'll have to telecommute to staff meetings."

Ballard hasn't played that game, but then he's not really a standard politician.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that Ballard presented a legitimately balanced budget. Where's the serious talk of layoffs? Ending the take home program?

Within the past week or so Governor Daniels announced that state employees will not be getting an annual raise for 2009. Although many cities are making cuts to balance their budgets as well I haven't heard Ballard say anything about laying off cops or ending the take home program.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3637 users online. 237 members and 3400 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X