300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPD 7th Process

Hey guys, I applied to the 7th process after visiting Indianapolis for the 1st time over Thanksgiving. I live in Florida now which will be interesting trying to complete the process, but hey, you have to work for what you want.
    I just wondered if anyone has heard any word on this process as far as how many are going to be hired and so on.
    Last edited by marineatbn; 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM.

Haven't heard anything on the 7th yet at all.

But, in case you hadn't heard, here's how things can go:
    For the 5th Recruit Class, which starts Jan 5, there were originally supposed to be about 50-60 and were to start about the end of October.
    Then, the class got moved to the end of January. After that, HR wanted to start the class in the middle of November, but with only 30-35 people.

As of last week when the merit board met, there are 24 starting the class. Merit Board denied either 7 or 8.

But, don't let that deter you and good luck!

Comment

Thanks metro, I know it is almost like winning the lottery, but I have to try. I only had two dreams. One, be a Marine, did ten years. Two, be a cop. Time will only tell I suppose.

Comment

I applied

I applied for the 7th process today, even with all the stuff I have read on here about people being cut I am going to give it a shot, hope for the best, and not worry about anything that is out of my control.

Comment

Thats me, I am going to give it hell, it is just going to be harder for me to do it from Florida.

Comment

Maybe some of the IMPD officers or surrounding can answer a question for me. I had a DUI 5 1/2 years ago in Virginia. Now, I obviously learned a big lesson. But here is my question. I had an Ohio license at the time. Because Virgina is a commonwealth, for whatever reason they did not report the incident to my Ohio license. I definately do not want to hide the fact, I am not that type of person. I just wanted to know how this will affect me. According to my official driving history I have only had a few speeding tickets. I wanted to apply to all departments in the area, but according to all of the Hamilton County agencies, the minimum requirements state no OWI's. Should I just apply anyways, or am I wasting time?

Comment

Originally posted by marineatbn View Post
              Maybe some of the IMPD officers or surrounding can answer a question for me. I had a DUI 5 1/2 years ago in Virginia. Now, I obviously learned a big lesson. But here is my question. I had an Ohio license at the time. Because Virgina is a commonwealth, for whatever reason they did not report the incident to my Ohio license. I definately do not want to hide the fact, I am not that type of person. I just wanted to know how this will affect me. According to my official driving history I have only had a few speeding tickets. I wanted to apply to all departments in the area, but according to all of the Hamilton County agencies, the minimum requirements state no OWI's. Should I just apply anyways, or am I wasting time?
              Those apps also say you can't lie and ask about _all_ arrests in your past, well at least they did. I don't understand why you think you could leave DUI off there. They are going to find that out if you were arrested and you would be booted for lying.

Comment

We had a guy in our class w/ a DUI. BUT it was like 10-15 years earlier. So for what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
                  Those apps also say you can't lie and ask about _all_ arrests in your past, well at least they did.
                  Originally posted by marineatbn
                  I definately do not want to hide the fact, I am not that type of person.
                  He didn't ask if he could lie about it, he asked if it would keep him from getting the job.

Frankly, I don't know. I admitted to DUI a couple of times about 4-5 years before I got hired BUT I never got caught, either. I just know I drove a couple of times when I shouldn't have, admitted it before the poly, and they took me. May have been a different ball game if I'd been arrested for it, though.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Thanks cruiser. I guess I will not find out until I try. I suppose I will just keep applying until I annoy someone enough to hire me. I was just wondering about those towns such as Carmel, Fischers, and Nobelsville that say you must not have had a OWI. It gives no time frame. I just wonder If I should apply at all. I am almost 29 now. Don't have a whole lot of years left to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      He didn't ask if he could lie about it, he asked if it would keep him from getting the job.

Frankly, I don't know. I admitted to DUI a couple of times about 4-5 years before I got hired BUT I never got caught, either. I just know I drove a couple of times when I shouldn't have, admitted it before the poly, and they took me. May have been a different ball game if I'd been arrested for it, though.
                      Well, I don't know why he was asking the question. I looked over some of those apps in Hamilton County. The ones I have seen clearly state "NO DUIs" and requirements to list all arrests. The comment about how it doesn't show up on his Ohio driving record gave me the impression maybe he would just admit that incident.

If we go with he wasn't going to lie about it, the answer is "you are wasting your time." My understanding is that these agencies get a decent break on insurance costs. Not sure if that is true or not, but that is just what I heard.

Thanks cruiser. I guess I will not find out until I try. I suppose I will just keep applying until I annoy someone enough to hire me. I was just wondering about those towns such as Carmel, Fischers, and Nobelsville that say you must not have had a OWI. It gives no time frame. I just wonder If I should apply at all. I am almost 29 now. Don't have a whole lot of years left to apply.
                      As I stated above, it was relayed to me that it has to do with insurance issues. I would send some e-mails to the contacts on the web pages and just ask them if they could explain why that is. The insurance thing makes sense, but then it doesn't. If the government unit gets a break for not having anyone with a DUI drive a county/city vehicle, what happens when an officer with 10 years on does something stupid and gets a DUI? Is that grounds for automatic termination? I would think the discount would go away as soon as one city/county employee (law enforcement or otherwise) got a DUI.

Comment

Dwntwn317, I am going to try and talk to the recruiters there. But when I downloaded the pre-app, the minimum requirements, as you stated, clearly state no OWI. But then later in the app, it asked if you had ever had one one or been convicted of OWI. It is just confusing.

Comment

Dwntwn317, I am going to try and talk to the recruiters there. But when I downloaded the pre-app, the minimum requirements, as you stated, clearly state no OWI. But then later in the app, it asked if you had ever had one one or been convicted of OWI. It is just confusing.
                          I'm on IMPD. A DUI 5 years ago, plus several speeding tickets, would probably be enough to keep you from being successful. There are a LOT of applicants for IMPD, and only a few are taken at a time. Those with clean backgrounds will be taken first.

As far as Hamilton County....well, I don't know what part of "NO DUI'S" is confusing. I'm sure they ask about it in the application because, yes...there are people who can't follow instructions and apply anyway. I've been a part of an interview board during one department hiring process, it's an eye-opening experience. People come in with flip-flops and T-shirts to their interview board. People with active arrest warrants apply. I actually ARRESTED an applicant when he came in for his interview, because he had a warrant.

I would say that it certainly doesn't hurt to apply with IMPD, or any other agency that doesn't have a "no DUI" requirement. At the worse, you'll get the experience of how the process works, so you can do better the next time that you try. But yeah, if the application says "No DUI," that should be a fairly good sign that applying there would be a waste of time.
                          Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

I am sure you have seen some crazy happenings in the interviews. I could not imagine showing up in anything other than business attire. That utterly blows my mind!
                            Last edited by marineatbn; 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2947 users online. 148 members and 2799 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X