Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anchorage (Alaska) Police Recruiting in Mid West States to hire for May 2009 academy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage (Alaska) Police Recruiting in Mid West States to hire for May 2009 academy

ANNOUNCING NEW 2009 TESTING AND PROCESSING DATES FOR THE MAY 18TH POLICE OFFICER ACADEMY.

January 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th-Police Officer Testing in Minneapolis, Minnesota at the Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport, 7901 34th Ave South,Bloomington, MN 55425. To attend testing submit a request to test form with a note on the top that you plan on testing in Minneapolis. Be sure to bring with you: your driver's license, completed and notarized background questionnaire, high school diploma or GED, DD214 if applicable, and a copy of your most recent evaluation from your current employer (if they do evaluations).

January 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th-Police Officer Testing in Ann Arbor, Michigan at the Marriott Courtyard Ann Arbor, 3205 Boardwalk, Ann Arbor, MI 48108. To attend testing submit a request to test form with a note on the top that you plan on testing in Ann Arbor. Be sure to bring with you: your driver's license, completed and notarized background questionnaire, high school diploma or GED, DD214 if applicable, and a copy of your most recent evaluation from your current employer (if they do evaluations).

January 10th-Police Officer Testing. Out of state applicants, those living more than 250 miles from Anchorage, will only have to make one trip to Anchorage to complete the selection process. That's right!!! One trip to Anchorage to complete the selection process. Applicants who submit a request to test form will receive an electronic letter of instructions with specific dates, so be sure to include your email address on the request to test form. Plan on being in Anchorage January 9th to the 17th.

February 14th-Police Officer Testing. Out of state applicants, those living more than 250 miles from Anchorage, will only have to make one trip to Anchorage to complete the selection process. That's right!!! One trip to Anchorage to complete the selection process. Applicants who submit a request to test form will receive an electronic letter of instructions with specific dates, so be sure to include your email address on the request to test form. Plan on being in Anchorage February 13th to the 21st.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get the application process started, submit a request to test form which can be downloaded from our website or picked up in person at the lobby of the Police Headquarters at 4501 Elmore Rd (intersection of Tudor/Elmore).

Be sure to review the new Physical Ability Test description on the website and get training!!

Recruitment Officer Steve Haas

[email protected]

907-786-2463

That would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by sschlangen View Post
      That would be awesome
      If I was single, I might go. I think after three years you get $150K/year. Plus, you get three days off in a row. If you work your 1st day off, time and a half, 2nd day off, double time, and the third day off goes back to time and a half. Take home vehicle as well plus five weeks of vacation starting. Housing costs are high.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
        If I was single, I might go. I think after three years you get $150K/year. Plus, you get three days off in a row. If you work your 1st day off, time and a half, 2nd day off, double time, and the third day off goes back to time and a half. Take home vehicle as well plus five weeks of vacation starting. Housing costs are high.

Wow....$150k/year....are you serious? What's the catch? (or is working all your days off the catch...lol)

Comment

A little bit of misinformation there. After three years you do not get $150K. I have with the department for 14 years and I have never made $150K. The average pay for a 10 year officer is a little over $100,000.

Steve
          Last edited by alaskariverguy; 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by alaskariverguy View Post
            A little bit of misinformation there. After three years you do not get $150K. I have with the department for 14 years and I have never made $150K. The average pay for a 10 year officer is a little over $100,000.

Steve
            meh...in that case FORGET ABOUT IT!

I was on the Anchorage PD website and saw a lot of great information there. I was surprised to see officers in short-sleeved shirts...lol. How are the temps there in the summer?

If one were to test in MN, for example, do you stay there for 4 days and make a second trip to Anchorage for another 4 days?

Also, how does the take home car program work? Is it optional?

THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
              meh...in that case FORGET ABOUT IT!

I was on the Anchorage PD website and saw a lot of great information there. I was surprised to see officers in short-sleeved shirts...lol. How are the temps there in the summer?

If one were to test in MN, for example, do you stay there for 4 days and make a second trip to Anchorage for another 4 days?

Also, how does the take home car program work? Is it optional?

THANKS!
              It gets to 60s-70s here in the summer. Last summer was unusual cool for us. Normally when it gets to be in the mid seventies we start complaining and crying. I usually wear my short sleeve shirts all winter long because you are going from your warm car to inside someone's house and back and forth. If I am going to be stuck outside I'll throw on my jacket. Of course there are those days where I have to wear my jacket, hat and gloves becasue it's just too cold.

The applicants who want to come to Minnesota only need to be there for two of the days that we are going to be there. Those that are successful will be invited to Anchorage in March to complete the remaining steps of the process.

The take home car is just that, your car to take home and drive around druing your off duty hours. There are some guidelines, you must listen to the radio, be armed, and the car can not leave the greater city limits unless you are on an actual work function (commuting back and forth to work doesn't count). That is why the majority of us live in the city limits. However there are those that live outside the city limits and then swap to their patrol car which they leave parked somewhere near the city limits.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

Comment

IS there a lateral option without going to the academy? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BPD99 View Post
                  IS there a lateral option without going to the academy? thanks
                  We do have a lateral program, it might be easiest to explain how the whole program works if you call me or the Sgt. I can be reached at 907-786-2463 or Sgt. Couturier at 907-786-2444.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by alaskariverguy View Post

Steve
                    Ah, someone who knows what is going on. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess if you worked OT as much as possible, you could possibly hit $150K. I decided to go back to the website and see the benefits:

http://www.muni.org/apd1/officer.cfm

* The starting wage of a Patrol Officer Recruit is $22.28/hr. Upon completion of training the wage increases to $27.83/hr. Lateral Officers start at $27.83/hr. Max hourly wage for Senior Patrol Officer of $35.78/hr is reached at the end of seven years. These figures do not include shift differentials, overtime, specialty assignment pay, or educational incentives.
                    * 2007 average salary for a 1st year officer was $73,918
                    * 2007 average salary for a 3rd year officer was $74,108
                    * 2007 average salary for a 5th year officer was $84,670
                    * 2007 average salary for a 10th year officer was $103,921
                    * 2007 average salary for a Sergeant was $103,781
                    * The Municipality of Anchorage has an excellent health coverage plan for the employee and eligible dependents.
                    * There are currently eleven and a half paid holidays per year.
                    * Shift overtime on the first and third days off is paid at 1 ½ times the regular rate of pay. Overtime on the second day off is paid at 2 times the regular rate of pay.
                    * Compensation for court time during off-duty hours is paid at the overtime rate with a three hour minimum guarantee
                    * Associates degree may qualify for a 4% increase over base pay; Bachelors degree may qualify for an 8% increase over base pay.
                    * The Municipality pays tuition and book expenses for all employees enrolled in accredited university courses.
                    * 5+ weeks of vacation which increases to 6 weeks after five years.
                    * Sick leave accrues at the rate of 6 hours per pay period, or 19.5 days per year to a maximum bank of 520 hours.
                    * Anchorage Patrol Officers enrolled in a retirement plan through the Alaska Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
                    * Optional 401K with one to one matching funds and/or 457 deferred compensation plans.
                    * Uniforms and and equipment provided and $200 every other year for clothing allowance.
                    * Take home car program.
                    * Patrol Officers are required to participate in the Anchorage Police Department Employees Association (APDEA).

Still, not a bad gig. Do they give the five weeks vacation in order for folks to fly back to the lower 48 to see family? Five weeks vacation starting out is nice. The only question I have: How much is housing and land? Just to give you an example, here in the Indy Metro area, in a suburban county (thought to be better schools), a 1,300 sq. ft. all limestone home on an acre is about $120K in the current market, $130Kish if it is in a "must have" area that people like. What would a similar home in the city limits costs? Thanks.

Comment

Still, not a bad gig. Do they give the five weeks vacation in order for folks to fly back to the lower 48 to see family? Five weeks vacation starting out is nice. The only question I have: How much is housing and land? Just to give you an example, here in the Indy Metro area, in a suburban county (thought to be better schools), a 1,300 sq. ft. all limestone home on an acre is about $120K in the current market, $130Kish if it is in a "must have" area that people like. What would a similar home in the city limits costs? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The 5.4 weeks is for whatever you want to do. I spend some a lot of mine fishing in the summer. We just got back from Hawaii yesterday! Plus I usually cash some in every now and then to buy myself something nice.

Housing is like anywhere else, it really depends on what part of town you want to live. A good website to search is www.alaskarealestate.com because you can search by part of town, other communities within the city limits (Eagle River, Chugiak, Peters Creek, Birchwood, Etc) and by price, lot size, etc. To give you an idea on cost I bought a 3700 sq ft house on not quite an acre for $400,000 in the Chugiak area (so I am within the city limits and can still drive my patrol car home). Expect to pay anywhere from $250,000 to $550,000 depending on size and location. Of course prices get cheaper once you move outside the city limits but then the commute time is the trade off. I recently saw an awesome place, about 2,500 sq ft with a detached shop on 2 acres for about $280,000 in Wasilla. But could not convice the wife to move out there, it would have added at least 30 minutes onto our commute and put our kids into a different school district.

Steve

Comment

UPDATE: APD's new contract was approved last week. Here are some of the highlights:
                        7% pay increase for detectives (up from 5.5%)
                        3% raise Jan 2009 (already factored into the above wages)
                        2.9-4.5% raise Jan 2010
                        2.9-4.5% raise Jan 2011
                        2.9-4.5% raise Jan 2012
                        2.9-4.5% raise Jan 2013

5% raise July 2010 for those already at top pay step for officers and Sgts
                        5% performance pay raise available Jan 2010, also for those already at top step.

Steve

Comment

Alright Steve. I have some questions for you that might be a little off the wall, but I would rather ask you on here than on the phone or in person. I currently work for IMPD but have been to Alaska two to three times and was impressed with what I saw. As well as I met someone from there which has caught my attention. "Another Story: However, I am curious. I believe you guys have GPS in your patrol vehicles as well as cameras? Reason for that question, not that I would be concerned for me doing something wrong but to give you an example of what I am trying to ask. A suburban county, two officers got into trouble for sitting too long in the same spot around 3-4am in the morning. GPS was used to somewhat if you call it that to get these Officer's in trouble.
                          In addition, maybe I missed it, what are the shifts? Also equipment I know is always a question as well. We are still driving 1999's here in Indy and the fleet is falling apart even though they are trying to get better cars on the road. How is the Fleet up there? It appeared that APD had some older vehicles as well as mis-matched markings which I can't complain about that because we have 6-7 marked patrol vehicles in our fleet as a result of the merger. Let's see here, I think that's about it. Oh yea, room for opportunities? Besides the usual advertisement of FTO/ K9/school resource Officer. Do you have special task forces such as DUI Officers, or Violent Crime Officers, or like a drug interdiction squad? As well as part-time as we call it opportunities where you can work Off-Duty for bars as parking lot security or working security for other places? Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Comment

We did have GPS in the car but I think the system isn't working anymore or it was disconnected. The department had agreed that the GPS system would not be used for any disciplinary purpose. All of our traffic cars have cameras and some of the officers put their own cameras in but the vast majority do not have cameras. As to the fleet, we do have a few of the old 2000's around but the majority are less than five years old, we seem to have been wrecking a lot of them in the past year or so (usually not our fault). There are about 3 different paint schemes in the fleet, as the old ones retire we are slowly looking more uniform again.

The shifts are 0700-1700, 1500-0100, 2300-0900, 4 days on 3 days off, set scheduled for 4 months, bid by seniority.

We do have a variety of task forces units and specialty teams: 2 drug units, US Marshalls Task Force, Gang Intel Officer, Traffic Unit, Community Action Policing Team, 2 DV followup officers, cyber crimes, sex assualt, homicide, robbery, theft, fraud, 2 admin officers working for the chief, and so on.

As to the overtime, it is controlled by the department, we do not do security for bars. If a company or organization needs police services it is posted as an overtime detail at the department and awarded by seniority. The majority of them are for traffic control and events around town. Plus we have all sorts of grant overtime, click it or ticket details, DUI details, school dances, etc. There is usually a fair amount of overtime available, although it does seem to come in waves, in fact for a while there was so much overtime posted on the board that there were slots going unfilled because everyone who wanted to work OT was already signed up for something.

Steve

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4979 users online. 308 members and 4671 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X