Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towncop
    replied
    Not sure on the PT, but DT's is still a week long. Lt. Bob Black can put a serious *** whoopin' on you if need be. Believe that!

Leave a comment:

• Stig
    replied
    How much PT or even DT for that matter is practiced at ILEA now?

Leave a comment:

• miller76
    replied
    There is a reason it is called a basic academy. You have to build on what they teach you with street skills. They teach you just enough to get you killed, you have to take the next step to get better on your own.

Leave a comment:

• lemmein71
    replied
    Agreed. On the job training is where you cut your chops.

Leave a comment:

• towncop
    replied
    Said it once, and I'll say it again....ever since ILEA went to a softer, more gentle academy, they've been pumping out officers, in my opinion, with training that doesn't even TOUCH what is to be had on the streets. Bring back the days of old for Pete's sake! Bring back the discipline that used to be there, instead of making this a damn-near college campus type setting. Distance learning, never had it, read about it, seemed like a giant waste of time.

No police academy is going to give you what you will get from working with a vet FTO and/or actually doing it on your own where you can see it, feel it, and smell it.

Leave a comment:

• OffDuty
    replied
    OC10 is right. the five day weeks are not that hard. The academy IMO is far softer than many I have seen and talked with other officers about. Distance learning was a joke, and I truly feel that being an "inner city" ghetto working cop, that most of my police 'education' came from what I learned on the job and from my FTOs rather than what was learned at the academy.

the practical side of things is what I found to be most lacking- building searches, the report writing,etc.- all very very basic in nature. I found the lack of PT and discipline type instruction really was disappointing. I hope a revised curriculum takes all of that into account.

Looking at the difference in discipline and appearance of any basic class vs. Staties or ICOs is disheartening- when I was there and any time I have been down there since.

Leave a comment:

• towncop
    replied
    Sorry, but I enjoyed my 12 weeks at ILEA. Of course it was under the guidance of Lt.'s Davis and Baker and the Basic Course Commander was Captain Younce. A big, big difference then when Capt. Mercer and later, Capt. Bridge took over.

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    Gezz,

I am glad I didn't go to Plainfield. I went to the IU academy and looking back, it was a blast. I hated it at first, mostly because I wasn't used to the PT, getting "yelled at" (which for us slow types, we figure out the instructors really were not mad at you), etc.. The only thing that sucked for me is that I wasn't 21, so while my fellow cadets were able to hit the clubs and bars, I was stuck partying in the Villas. Our class was extremely lucky, we seemed to have an above average number of instructors/lecturers cancel at the last moment. We had a lot of half days and early outs. Now I hear that when this happens, they fill time with boring "report writing," yuck! While the PT was somewhat of a drag at first (I _hate_ how they made us do push-ups and sit-ups in the mud), it did show the importance of being in shape. Sad thing is I am in better shape now than I was back then and it has been over a decades time. Nothing beats the fun and beauty of the IU campus down in Bloomington during the summer! I also liked that you don't have to live in a dormitory type setting and are able to return home every night with no curfew. I couldn't do a trooper academy out at Plainfield, I would miss my family too much.

Leave a comment:

• BlueIce
    replied
    Originally posted by oc10spray View Post
    Let's be honest, the ILEA is a multi-month blur of mostly boring classes that aren't that challenging. The only weeks you really learn anything is the breakout weeks.
    Even the breakout weeks can be a real drag. You'll have such fun changing your clothes 9 times a day during firearms and defensive tactics.

Leave a comment:

• oc10spray
    replied
    Let's be honest, the ILEA is a multi-month blur of mostly boring classes that aren't that challenging. The only weeks you really learn anything is the breakout weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Familyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Christyle View Post
    I'm sure there is someone out there more than willing to take your place at ILEA, since you aren't thrilled about 5 day weeks!
    Isn't that the truth!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Christyle
    replied
    I'm sure there is someone out there more than willing to take your place at ILEA, since you aren't thrilled about 5 day weeks!

Leave a comment:

• eternallc
    replied
    Five day weeks? Please tell me that's not true. I was looking forward to those three day weekends. I knew about the distance learning and the small class sizes, but not that they changed back to five day weeks. Is it really true? I go to ILEA at the beginning of 2009.

Leave a comment:

• InHarleyCop
    replied
    I don't see this happening. Is there some kind of memo put out by ILEA or the LETB? How is a "student" going to be getting a seat into the "new" ILEA format when they're going to 35 students per class or whatever?? There's no way there would ever be space for a tuition student at Plainfield.

Leave a comment:

• chicubs
    replied
    Depending on space availability, students can go to ILEA as part of their school for credits, this is paid for by the students themselves. Their sponsor is considered to be their school. Those spots were hard to fit in previously with the basic classes. Not sure how the changes at ILEA will affect this aspect.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4742 users online. 266 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X